PDA

View Full Version : Too many drugs ... Oh my!

UKmamainUS
05-06-14, 03:20
I really don't like taking medication and generally opt to go the natural route, but due to my new dx of neuralgia and my existing HA, today I was prescribed steroids, muscle relaxers (both for the tooth / jaw / neck thing) and the doc upped my lorazepam to 1mg from .25/.5. I now feel strangely drunk, and desperately want to go to bed, wish I'd gotten my kids into PJS etc BEFORE taking them all. Need to take the relaxers in the morning too according to my dentist. It's a good job I have no plans to go anywhere.

SADnomore
05-06-14, 04:31
Oh, yeah, with kids to get to bed each night, you will want to wait until bedtime for the muscle relaxers and especially for the lorazepam! That'll be the drunk feeling right there. I split my muscle relaxers in half for a week or so and just took the halves about an hour apart at first. If they are not "scored" they may be difficult to split even with a pill splitter, but it doesn't need to be precise. By taking my am and my pm doses split like that a little while apart, I got the same effect and didn't feel strange on them. By the second week I was fine to take the whole pills ... Also, I don't know much about other steroids, but I have taken a short course of prednisone once. Please don't be alarmed if you find yourself feeling "off", really irritable and uncomfortable. I didn't know what was going on until I talked with someone else who had been on it. Very common side effect. If it happens to you, you may think about explaining to the kids that the pills are making you short-tempered, you're not really meaning to be in a bad mood? Maybe try to set up some stuff for them to do and when you start feeling that way you could contemplate taking 1/4 or 1/2 of your dose of lorazepam then, if it didn't make you too sleepy before? I'm sure it'll help, no worries. xx
Good luck! :hugs:
Marie

UKmamainUS
05-06-14, 16:57
Thanks for your advice. I'm really not used to any meds except my asthma inhaler so it's all new to me. I believe the steroids I am on are prednisone. Not sure if I am extra irritable or it's just that the kids are just being obnoxious today though - LOL.

SADnomore
05-06-14, 21:07
Lol! Blame the prednisone! Ugh, I didn't even like my own company when I was on it, ha ha! It's icky :mad: Good luck with everything :D

nomorepanic
05-06-14, 21:33
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

SADnomore
05-06-14, 22:46
Mind you, I have to say, the prednisone really worked for me! :D