PDA

View Full Version : Please help

Tarcon22
05-06-14, 06:34
Hello I'm new to this forum, I just need a little bit of advice really.
I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety yet as I have had to wait a while for a doctors appointment, but I have always been a worrier!
Just recently I have been feeling extremely panicky, dizzy, feeling sick, shaking also having a feeling of not being able to catch my breath!
It started on the bus on the way to work and I totally freaked I ran off the bus and was just sitting on the side of te road crying!
I went to hospital and was told my heart rate and lungs where ok.
Does this sound like panic attacks to you?
What's making it worse is I have recently started a new job that I really like! But I have had an awful lot of time off due to the way I'm feeling all the time.
Work is fine it's just that dreaded bus where I had my first attack, everytime I get on there now I feel like one is creeping up on me.
I hve been ringing my mum when I start to panic and feel faint but she has recently started a new job where I cannot call her.
I'm worrying my employer is going to fire me ! I was the only one on my department in today and I had to call in as I ha a bad 'attack' and couldn't face it. I know I have let them down badly and I'm worrying this will cause me to become fired!
I really don't know what to do or how to cope with this ! Any advice you give me will be very much appreciated xxx

bimmer18
05-06-14, 06:51
Absolutely it's anxiety! The first panic attack I got was when I was driving on the highway one day. Totally know what you are going through. For me it definitely helps talking to someone on the phone. Is there anyone else you can call?
Could you talk to your boss about what you're going through?

Tarcon22
05-06-14, 11:52
Thank you for your reply! I thought it might be.
That must have been awful to get one on the highway!
I work in a care home and I have to report to the nurse I don't think she really believes it is as bad as I say it is!
Do u have any tips on coping with these ?
X

Street
05-06-14, 12:32
Just joined to answer this post.

February 1997 - I had just finished my mid semester break of a week off at University and got on the bus for the first day back. As the bus journey went on my heart started beating faster and faster and my brain just kept telling me "get off, get off". So I did.

I'd been getting these episodes (not as bad) for the previous 2 years and doctors had no idea what was wrong. After this time, I went to see a different guy and he said "it's panic attacks" and prescribed me anti depressants. I was back to "normal" after a couple of weeks, but I think the most important thing was knowing what was happening. I spent those two weeks walking every day, and eventually building up to going back to Uni. I got back on the dreaded bus all the way to the end just to touch a building one day, but for me that was massive progress.

17 years later and I've been off and on the SSRI's (off for the last 6 years) and the anxiety has come back. But I know with other people's help - including my GP - I can beat it all over again.

My advice - don't waste any more time feeling like you do, you don't have to, you can feel better. We're lucky that there are effective treatments out there and that the signs are easily recognised.

And as for work - health care is one of the most stressful places to work, they are used to people getting problems like yours. If you have one, speak to the occupational health department, they will have a lot of information you can access.

Also - the MIND website is great, they have phone lines you can call any time.

Tarcon22
09-06-14, 10:54
Thank you all so much for your replys!
I have the doctors this afternoon so I hope he will sort something for me!
I had a very bad night last night of panic attacks it seems to be getting worse, I feel totally lost.
I phoned in sick from work and the manager shouted at me due to leaving them short staffed, I felt awful but my panic attacks are making it impossible for me to travel!
I went to see my boyfriend at the weekend on the train it's only half an hour away but I had a Very bad attack.
He is very understanding but I'm worried he's going to give up on me soon.
I am totally stuck on what to do about work I feel like quitting but I need money!
I just wish this would go away xx