PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety is almost a habbit

rebeccad
06-06-14, 07:14
So yesterday i went to my new therapist , and she said health anxiety is like a habbit, I have though about this and it's true , it's natural now to panic and check and then to catastrophise , I feel very positive about the future , still having wobbles but I've only been once woke in the night panicking about my dry mouth , she said that it's fine to have wobbles and to just be kind to yourself and except your feeling and it will pass don't carry it around just notice it , sort of makes sense lol x

Jonesle
06-06-14, 07:28
Hi Rebecca, I saw a therapist for the first time last week and she suggested similar things. She also said you won't get better overnight and you have to practise the new, healthy habit, like giving up cigarettes, more successful when you cut down or use nicotine patches to ween yourself off.
Good luck xxx

rebeccad
06-06-14, 08:55
It really makes sense doesn't it , I've been panicking about a tic my son had picked oh like a sniffing tic , for a second my mind went into panic imagining him with full on Tourette's then I said to myself "ok I'm anxious it's fine , what am I having for lunch " sounds stupid but I'm gonna keep doing it , my therapist said it's like training in the gym the more you do it the stronger your brain will get x

skippy66
06-06-14, 11:44
Health Anxiety is an occupation. A career path.

You need to resign and get a different job...

TheHusband
06-06-14, 13:54
I have been reading a lot about habits this year, trying to find out about why I am so useless at going to the gym, useless at focussing on work, always stuffing chocolate, never cleaning the house... (minor stuff really)

What I found out was astonishing, almost scary. Habits are WAY more powerful that we think, and affect so many more areas of our life than we would suspect. Sadly the bad habits seem to form in 10 seconds (I reckon), whereas the good ones take 30+ days (official research confirmed) to cement themselves.

I can now see that many areas of anxiety do involve habits, and if you were able to change the habits/triggers/rewards you'd see a really good change. Breaking habits is hard work, but I suggest you look into it. I'm not an expert at all, so I ought to shut up now. It kinda relates to CBT, but I think it worthwhile researching the information on habits for people (without anxiety) trying to live better or work more productively. The advice translates into all areas..

Fishmanpa
06-06-14, 15:47
It's an interesting and I believe true assessment. Googling symptoms, reassurance seeking behaviors etc., are habits associated with HA. One only need read threads to verify that. And like any bad habit, it takes determination and inner fortitude to change.

Positive thoughts a strength to all...