PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Carnation
06-06-14, 23:37
Hi Everyone,

Sounds pathetic, but I am really scared of Thunder and Lightning. To make it worse, I check out the Forecast to find out when it is coming. I can't sleep at night and I normally go and hide where I can't see a window and just sit and fret. Anyone got any tips to get through this?

Annie0904
07-06-14, 11:46
I haven't really got any tips but there are many with the same phobia. Others love it and want to watch it :). Just plug some music into your ears to drown at the sound and keep busy with something to distract you from it.

eve22
07-06-14, 16:50
I am scared of it to, also heavy rain, i go into a panic when it storms...
I will have to take a pill for anxiety to relax me!!

venusbluejeans
07-06-14, 17:05
In the Day time I love to sit watching it........at night, I hate it!!

Tessar
07-06-14, 22:12
It isn't pathetic at all carnation and don't use negative words like that about yourself.

Please Be kind to yourself.

I am the same. No matter what I try, I am scared of thunder and lightning too. We had a storm here this morning, I was "home alone". My partner was out shopping. I survived as luckily the storm was short lived.

I was worse when I lived alone. I would make certain I was in bed before the "thunder" was going to arrive. And yes I always checked out the forecast.

In some respects.... That isn't a bad thing, better to be prepared.

I suppose on the other hand perhaps it is not so good in so much that checking the forecast is helping to reinforce the fear.

I have improved on how scared I used to be. One way I have overcome it is literally to expose myself to it. Of course I don't mean so that I am in danger. I mean I will watch from a safe distance. But I will watch. The crazy thing is on the plus side it can be very exhilarating too. So it's a double-edged thing for me.

I have had some scary episodes that required me to be exceptionally brave. Some might say I wasn't that brave but in my book, if something scares you and you cope with it.... That is brave.

This is why I say not to label yourself negatively.

Imagine that you are a small child. Your inner child indeed. The little person who exists inside you and needs comfort when you are scared. Would you scold a small child for being scared of a loud noise and bright flash that comes out of the blue? I doubt that very much.

I think in the end I had to learn to be strong for myself. And indeed sometimes to be strong or brave for others. One time I was heading home from work in the car. it got darker and darker and I just "knew" it was about to thunder. As I waited at some traffic lights.... It began. But instead of feeling scared, I considered that our cat was at home on her own, I knew she was equally scared so I was able to park my car and walk up the road .... Instead of focusing on my fear, I focused on my cat instead. it helped alot. When I walked in, instead of transmitting more fear to her, I was calm and loving towards her. I spoke softly to calm her. I think it had the same affect on me.

Sometimes it's doing simple things that make a big difference.

Don't ever feel self-conscious about your fear. sensitive, kind people will help you if they know. At work I have had mixed reactions. One colleague reacted as if to say "don't be ridiculous". I told her.... "I can't help being scared of it, and I won't apologise to her or anyone for it. It is how I am". She shut up.

The other night my boss stayed at the office til I was ready to leave. She knew I was scared as there was a storm & said she'd hang around til I am done. So yes, you can get mixed reactions from people but I am not worried about admitting it. At least some people will offer you comfort, like my boss did. This has reminded me of a previous boss I had. He came running across the car park at the office as there was a sudden clap of thunder. He wanted to check I was ok. I was very impressed as I didn't think he cared.

I would suggest gradually weaning yourself off the coping methods and returning to a more balanced way of being. It is a rational fear in the sense that of course lightning is a scary, damaging thing. But at the same time, storms are not that common. Indeed today and yesterday evening they forecast much worse westher than we had. You can become more at ease about it. It is possible to rebalance your fear so that you are able to sleep properly.

I wonder, if you dont mind me asking, is this every night or only when the forecast suggests storms are about? Regardless, I still feel it's possible for you to improve about this,

So..... Carnation, I am hoping I am able to offer you some comfort :-)

Carnation
07-06-14, 23:33
Hi Tessar,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me good and kind advice about my phobia. I've always had this, but it seems to have grown worse as I get older. Its not every night I fear, but when I know its coming.
If I happen to be out when there is a storm, I run into a shop or when I used to drive, I wouldn't feel so bad, because I know about the protection from the tyres? Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but it calms me.
I also have a cat and I do exactly what you do , if I am at home, I comfort him, which then comforts me. It does actually work.

It sounds silly, but I actually think it is going to kill me and as I already have electric zaps going on in my head, I think the electrical connection is going to be horrendous. I know, I am exaggerating now, but I am very good at that with this Anxiety Disorder.

I have other phobias as well, but some I have overcome: Spiders, Mice and Rats and Lifts, but still scared of Bees, Wasps and Water. (Not the stuff you wash in but the stuff you can drown in, which includes Tunnels as well.

I had no idea, obviously, that you had written a book, I would be very interested to know what it is if you could let me know by private message or public depending on how you feel or whether it is allowed here.

I am relatively new on this Site and not at total grips on how things work here, but at the same time, I seem to be online nearly everyday and posting quite a bit. If only I had joined years ago before I got really bad, which was about 4 months ago now. I would have noticed the signs much earlier and maybe not got to the point where I had completely broken down. I seem to be rambling on a bit here, but I think I have finished now.:)

aprilmoon
07-06-14, 23:58
Everyone's scared of something Carnation,so don't worry.
I've been in a tent when its thunder and lightening,and it was actually hilarious, because we were in the biggest tent,and everyone in our party ended up running across the field,leaving theirs and we all ended up squeezed in ours!
The kids still talk about it now :D

Carnation
08-06-14, 00:12
That actually sounds exciting in a strange sort of way?

I think I was stressing with the forecast last night and waited anxiously for 1am, when the storm was predicted and nothing happened, so I went to bed and hoped I would fall asleep straight away, which I did. I didn't wake in the night and when I looked out of the window and saw the rain in the morning, I was really pleased I got through it. :)

I stress out about flood warnings as well. I used to live in-between a River and the Sea. One day there was a high alert flood warning. It was a high-tide and a sea surge. I was absolutely petrified and I dressed up in what looked like combat gear finished off with wellies. I stayed up all night and nothing happened. It doesn't make it any easier when you can't swim!

And its not just me I fret about, I want to save the world, I was going around neighbours houses with sandbags and waking everyone up in the night to see if they were ok. I just Worry, Worry Worry!

aprilmoon
08-06-14, 11:26
It was actually an amazing experience it was in the forest of dean in Gloucestershire,and we could hear the thunder from a long way away at first,as it got closer,you could feel it resonate in the ground,and you felt so close to nature,it wasn't scary,it just felt like part of the beauty around us,and the smells and the clarity of the air afterwards was amazing.
We were all laughing and whooping with the noises together,and it was a really warm experience.
Because the children were small,it could have gone either way but I believe by being the way we were,it made it a memorable, fun time,and they now have no fear.
I am claustrophobic, and don't use lifts if I can possibly help it.
One day I was with my elderly Mum in a store and had no choice.
Guess what? Yes,it stuck between floors,and although I felt some panic rise,I was by no means the worst person in there.
A young girl became hysterical and my own mum was quite alarmed,and something else in me took over,and I became the reassurer.
My legs were like jelly by the time we got out,but I survived.
You can't save the world hun,but you sound like a lovely caring person, and the world needs people like you,so don't worry.keep being you.:)

Rennie1989
08-06-14, 17:59
I used to be terrified of them as a kid. When I was 7 there was a massive thunderstorm and my town got severely flooded, there was one fatality (but it was a freak accident). Every time a thunderstorm came I turned the light on to hide the flash, turned the TV on to hide the noise and hid my head under the pillow, squishing the pillow right around my head.

The way I got over the phobia was exposure. One day it thundered during the day and I could not escape it. My mum sat me down and said 'It's OK, it won't hurt you.' and kept talking to me. When the lightening came she made me count with her 'One elephant, two elephants, three elephants' until the thunder came. When the time between the lightening and thunder grew I knew the storm was going. It took a few occasions like that to actually make me feel comfortable during a thunderstorm.

Now I love them! I will sit by the window, watch the fork lightening, count the elephants and 'oooo' at the thunder.

Try small steps first, count the elephants from the lightening to the thunder and watch/hear the storm go. It really helped me.

Carnation
08-06-14, 21:52
Thanks Everyone,

Without sounding rude, I am going to try and expose myself a little at a time to try and get used to it.

A tip for 'Lift Anxiety'. I only get in with a bunch of people and not on my own or just a couple of people. My synopsis is, if it breaks down or gets stuck, we can work as a group to get out and there maybe a Doctor, mechanic, Computer Operator in with us, sort like a film you might see on TV? I know its weird, but it works for me.
Actually got this tip from a film I watched, but can't remember its name.:shrug:

aprilmoon
08-06-14, 21:58
I hope you don't mind Carnation,but you"exposing yourself a little at a time" has given me the best laugh I've had all day!:roflmao:

Carnation
08-06-14, 22:12
That was my intention.:D

Tessar
09-06-14, 20:48
Hi Carnation; it's my pleasure to take the time & provide advice. I could really feel your fear and relate to it.
Many times I lay in bed & was fearful that if my arms were sticking out, the lightning would come and get me. Many a stormy night I would lie nor the covers sweating because I was so hot... But scared to "come up for air" in case "it got me".
I'm glad Its not every night But u sound just the same as i used to be when I knew it was coming. The trouble is though that sometimes they say it's coming and it doesn't. So all tht worry and the tiredness from a lack of sleep would be for no gain. Not that there is any gain even if the thunder does come of course.
One night I was just leaving the family home to drive 2miles to my place & I saw a fork of lightning as I went out if the door. I made my mother come and stay the night! Didnt want to be on my own.
I am better than I was then, living alone I had to become stronger. I had to support myself.
I think there's no problem with going to bed early if they say there will be a storm. But do go to bed as normal. I used to hope I'd be asleep before it arrived. At least being in the safe surroundings of bed is comforting.
I'd suggest sticking to your normal routine even if a storm is predicted. As I say by all means go to bed earlier than normal (I liked to be there before dark).
I was bright up in a long & narrow house. I hated being last to bed. It meant walking (more like running) up the stairs with a dark corridor behind me.
Never liked that, felt like there was something there or that I'd see a flash.
That fear hasn't left me. It spooks me if anything flashes. Probably always will....but the difference I suppose is I rationalise the fear now. I understand it relates to fears in my childhood.
In that dark, long, narrow house I was scared if thunder started, I can remember feeling my spray along the corridor to my parents room, I didn't know whether to cover my eyes or ears, couldn't do both of course.....
I accept now that the fear does live inside me. But I can comfort myself. I have Been home along with some big storms. I survived. They don't last that long and yes they are scary but they can be survived.
I have taken shelter in shops. Once I had to endure a storm on a hill by standing in a glass bus shelter. Didnt like that but again I survived.

What u said about a car being a safe place is true. The tyres insulate the car.
It doesnt sound silly to me. lightning is powerful. i think it is rational to fear something powerful. but it is rare for people to be harmed. i dont know the statistics but if u are reasonably careful then it is ok. That is my belief.

I have a Spider phobia. that has got worse again. I did do some exposure work. I even managed to look at one in a plastic container but now I am not so good, not sure why. I can feel my scalp crawling typing this! I was about to do hypnotherapy. But then I suffered a bereavement & didn't get to do it, but I am thinking I should try it some time.

I am really glad u found this site, carnation. There will be many like minded people. Some with similar experiences or fears. Also you will be able to help other people too which will ease your own stresses & anxieties as you realise how rewarding it is to be able to help others.

I like listening to your rambles :-) I look forward to reading some more.

Carnation
11-06-14, 23:08
Hi Tessar,

I can deal with little and medium sized Spiders. I tell myself that they won't harm me and they deal with all those nasty insects that can harm us.
I used to scream, jump on a chair/sofa and freeze. The moment I looked away, it had disappeared and never to be seen again. I've even kept awake all night waiting for it to reappear. I now think my sleep is more important and I try to remove them with a glass and stiff piece of card and take it out into the Wilds. Sorry, if this is making you feel bad, not my intention, just wanted to let you know it can be done and the first is the most difficult.

Another one of my phobias are Clowns and Dolls. Hate them. Think they will come to life in the middle of the night and strangle me to death. Watched to many Horror Movies when I was young. It was the era of Horror and Ghost Movies. They make me cringe, the Dollies stary eyes and the Clowns superficial smile. Maybe if we were brought up to deal with all this stuff as children, we wouldn't have so many problems later in Life?

Its weird that we feel this way about certain things. I don't have a problem with Heights or flying or the sight of blood, but the other things, I just can't bear it! Thunder & Lightning my biggest one, but I will take all on board next time round and see how I get on.

Tessar
12-06-14, 22:46
Now that's a thing, Carnation..... I have heard other people say bout a fear of clowns. Dolls I am not so sure of but definitely clowns. I don't mind talking about the fear as it all helps to lessen it. Like being conditioned to think differently.
I used to get spider dreams. I would actually get out if bed while still dreaming. I'd put the light on and wonder why I was out of bed. They were so real, I'd shuffle out of bed low down to make sure I didn't touch them where they were dangling down.
The other night I woke up with an image in my mind of a huge one. Most bizarre. I knew it wasnt real but for a few seconds It did feel scary.
If I know there is one there (a real one) it HAS to be dealt with. I am ok it's most but freak when I see the big ones, our shed's a no go area for me, except just inside the door. Also especially in autumn, I have to do a spider check when I walk into rooms. I wouldn't want to get in a room & then realise there's one between me & the door.
There's no doubt in my mind that these things could have been dealt with when we were children.but that would require well balanced parenting & an ability for our parents to spot & help us deal with the fears.
My father teased me no end for being scared of them. I was labelled a cissy & got laughed at by my brothers. I wonder actually if we aren't so much scared of these insects or objects... Moreso that those items are linked to incidents in our lives back then & we associate the bad experiences with these items.
Its interesting isn't it how we all seems to have fears but how much they vary person to person. I have managed to alter my perception of flying to the point I am not scared now. There are moments I think "ooh I didn't like that" but that can happen with all sorts if things we do day to day.
Trouble is, if I really concentrate on a spider (graphic photograph or worse, the real thing) I can feel my body reacting, I know I need to let the fear run its course so I can get to the other side. I wonder if my counsellor is scared of spiders? Maybe she could present me with a biggie in a clear box so I could try to beat the fear.

aprilmoon
12-06-14, 22:55
I can't sleep with an arm or leg hanging outside of the bed...
I have this irrational fear that somethings going to grab it :scared15: lol

Carnation
12-06-14, 23:12
I do sleep with a foot hanging out of the bed. Its so I can make a quick getaway.:ohmy:

I used to have a fear of Bats as a child and had to keep my neck covered incase one came in to my room and bit me. This I know was caused by watching to many Dracula and Vampire Films. This used to put this sort of stuff on the TV a lot and my Mum used to let me watch them not realizing what affect they would have one me. :ohmy:

I've been checking the forecast again and I see there's Thunder and Lightening forecast for the weekend. I am going to try some new tactics.
I am not going to hide under the stairs as I usually do, I am going to grab the poor cat and comfort him and that will hopefully calm me down and I am going to sit normally in a room and see what happen. :ohmy:

Tessar
13-06-14, 22:56
We have a storm right now. I decided to try and be brave. Have been sitting in our bedroom watching it with my partner. Each time there was a flash, I kept making a squeal. But now she's in the bathroom & there was another flash but I survived. I am trying to use this as exposure therapy! Compared to when we heard the first rumble I am doing better. Still feel anxious but guess what? I am feeling ok being in the room on my own. Saying that, the cats on the bed, so technically I am not alone.....
Got the curtains open & feel apprehensive but as I say I am ok(ish). Much better then 5 mins ago.
I think for me it's the unexpected nature of it. Takes me by surprise.
If I knew it was coming the perhaps I'd be calmer.....

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Oh, carnation, I used to like the Dracula films.
Rain's slowing own..... I think the storm is going now :-)

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Right, pop 2 the loo and then time for lights out. One or two flashes till but I am calmer.
Maybe exposure treatment does work.

Carnation
13-06-14, 23:06
Oh Tessar, you are brave. I can almost feel the tension reading your post. I will try really hard as well when it comes our way tomorrow. Not looking forward to it, but you can not prevent Nature from doing its thing. Sleep tight.:hugs:

Tessar
14-06-14, 08:21
Well.... Of course I did survive. In fact this morning I am pretty calm about it.
Hopefully u will b able to contend with it ok, carnation and of course there's no reason to suppose u will get a storm anyway. So try not to be too apprehensive .... Because as we all know, mot if ptehn"the wort never happens".
U cud always post how u feel if u do have a storm some time. Or write notes about it at the time.cyoucwuldnt have to share them as they can be private, just for yourself?
Though I find sharing helps alot. It didnt seem to matter if anyone was online or not, I still felt I had my friends with me :-)
Also it can be very useful to read back what u have said too.
makes you realise how brave u actually can be.

sedalia
14-06-14, 18:42
I am terrified of storms. We had a big one last night. I jumped out if bed at the first rumble of thunder and sat at the bottom of my stairs (where there are no windows) for 3 hours while it lasted. I came on this forum with my tablet, hoping I could log into the chat room to try and occupy myself but was unable to as you need Java activated, and I cant download it on my tablet. This morning I was shattered, not only through lack of sleep but the fear, and pre- storm worry is so emotionally draining. I can't bear the thought of going through this year after year.

Tessar
14-06-14, 18:45
Sedalia, maybe there is something that can be done to help u with the fear? Perhaps see if you can remain in bed, albeit hidden under the bedclothes? I am told the storm here went on well into the early hours but I had managed to fall asleep. Amazing really.

sedalia
14-06-14, 21:32
Hi Tessar, thanks for your reply. I have tried staying in bed but I'm in such a high state of anxiety its impossible for me to fall asleep. My way of thinking is that if I'm downstairs, apart from being away from windows, if the house gets struck by lightning I'm safer down there than upstairs in the bedroom. I know I'm not helping myself by these avoidance tactics tho. Well done to you for staying in bed! I don't even know where this fear has come from, I never had it s a child, I think it started in my teens for some reason, and has rapidly got worse (I'm 49 now).

Carnation
14-06-14, 23:21
Sedalia, I did exactly what you did last night. Jumped out of bed, ran downstairs, found place with no windows and crouched on the floor until it went away.

Sorry Tessar, I let you down. :( I tried sleeping so I wasn't facing the window, but once that big bang came, that was it, brain into overdrive and heart pounding. I seem to be getting worse. I'm worried that when I get older, I won't be able to get out of bed so quick and rush down the stairs. I'll probably end up falling down the stairs and that will be what kills me. Its really getting on my nerves now. I couldn't get up this morning because I'd been up half the night. And, I'm so impressed with you being so brave. I feel so pathetic, a mature woman can't handle a little thunder and a flash of lightning. :scared15:

Tessar
15-06-14, 22:12
Carnation, you haven't let me down at all. Please don't think that. I will always encourage you and offer support, all we can do is try our best, ferris a horrible thing.... I do appreciate that thunder and lightning is darned scary. I had someone with me didnt I, that makes it easier. I am home alone thu and fri Eve's. I won't want thunder then!
Sedalia, I was in our family home decades ago and we were struck. It didnt damage the house fortunately. It was v.scary but I did survive. I wouldn't want to experience that again as the thunder came almost before the lightning was gone. But it was ok. Over in a flash (haa haa). I know it isn't a subject to joke over and again, as with carnation, I do relate strongly to your fear.
Well, I must be off to bed. Early start in the morning. Night all.

Carnation
15-06-14, 22:36
Thanks Tessar,
I will try harder next time. I just seem to be getting weaker and weaker, not stronger and stronger. I couldn't even find the Cat? :ohmy:

Tessar
16-06-14, 20:27
See how you go, it isn't always easy. I left work tonight to cycle home and cud see big black clouds in the distance. They didnt bother me tonight but on a different night I am sure they would.

Tessar
28-06-14, 21:19
We had some of this today. Not too close. I was remarkably calm.

Carnation
28-06-14, 22:04
Well, I knew it was coming today. I had to go out, so there was a risk of getting caught in it. I didn't fret and thought I'll deal with it when it arrives.
Where was I? No, not a safe place like the shops or a place I could hide. I was in a place very near to woods; lots of trees and well away from any safe place. To top it all, I was practicing driving the Car again. (Talk about piling it on).
The rain came and I thought of my God, what a pickle I have got myself in to. A roll of thunder and then I start to panic. Driving, Trees, no where to hide......
I kept going with the driving, remembered the safety thing about the rubber tyres sort of acting as protection. Waited for the Lightening to appear. But nothing. Just rumbles.
What? I thought. I was ready for it and it didn't happen. I was so pleased and happy with myself and the best thing was, I didn't have a Panic Attack or any Anxiety symptoms. Don't know what will happen next time, but I got through this one.:):D

Tessar
28-06-14, 22:32
That's fantastic carnation. I am very proud of you. You did so well. Sometimes when we are in the situation, we have no option but to cope. You did cope. And very well at that. It's likely at some point there will be a next time, it does happen I am afraid, but the good thing is, you can refer back to this positive outcome and it can help you in the future.
My reaction seems to vary infinitely. Today I was so calm it was great. Another day, perhaps if I am influenced by surroundings or how my day is going, I will react more. three things spring to mind.
First I won't let the threat of thunder and lightning stop me living my life normally.
Second, I would always take care. That doesn't mean being over cautious, but obviously I would avoid a truly risky situation.
Lastly, I don't apologise to anyone for feeling scared and these days, if I am scared I don't mind if people know or see that. So what? Its a powerful thing, just like other natural events. Some people are scared. Some are not. But those who are never need to apologise for their fear.
After all..... We are trying to deal with the fear and one if the only ways to do that is indeed to feel the fear.
That happened to you today and u coped admirably!
I think that's brilliant which of course means u r brilliant too, carnation.

Carnation
28-06-14, 22:36
Thanks Tessar. I am really quite chuffed with myself. Bring it on!:)

Tessar
08-07-14, 23:00
Carnation.... I was mega brave today. Everyone at work was beavering away quietly..... Then there was a massive clap of thunder, really close..... Even people who don't kind it jumped. I have to say it did take a while for me to calm down but at least I didn't scream! My colleagues know I am scared of it so its not a problem if they can see I am scared.
Anyway I had cycled in today so had no option bit to ride home. Well good job I brought my waterproofs as it was hoofing it down when I left. The roads were awash and one was blocked with deep water!!
I did wonder at the time of this big bang if I'd be scared riding home but to be honest I was so busy concentrating on cycling safely that I didn't even think about what might happen with the weather. Fortunately the heavy rain eased off to nothing & by the time I was home the sun was out.
Must say ..... Having survived this moment of scariness, I couldn't wait to tell u I had been brave. Its like you were there making me feel better.

Carnation
08-07-14, 23:13
Hi Tessar,

Funny, I thought of you too when the Thunder came.
I had stupidly put washing on the line, fully knowing it was going to , Thunder today.
Well, the sky went black and the rumbling started. I was so intent on getting the washing in before it got wet that I sort of had this attitude with it. I wasn't going to let it hinder me and wash the whole lot again, so I just kept my head down and got on with the job.
Even my Partner was surprised. As he reminded me about the Thunder and me being out in it, I just replied; "Oh, I can't be bothered with that today, I've got to get this washing in".
I think being occupied with something else is definitely the answer to the Fear!:)

Fishmanpa
08-07-14, 23:48
Hi Everyone,

Sounds pathetic, but I am really scared of Thunder and Lightning. To make it worse, I check out the Forecast to find out when it is coming. I can't sleep at night and I normally go and hide where I can't see a window and just sit and fret. Anyone got any tips to get through this?

My cat does this and he's a brave boy! You're in good company :D
Glad to see you've faced these fears recently.

FYI - We just had a line of storms go through and our boy cuddled with me for protection... The big wuss ~lol~ Hey... maybe you can use this to your advantage and have a cuddle with your significant other ;)

Positive thoughts

Tessar
09-07-14, 22:31
FMP I like your style... Any excuse for a cuddle eh? our cats not too bad with thunder but the one before her used to come and sit by our feet. She was really scared of it. Being brave for her helped me e brave in turn.

Carnation.... I am very impressed ... Well done!

AnxietyDJ
18-07-14, 06:13
Terrible storms for pretty much the whole of last night, through to this morning (still rumbling away now...)... I hardly slept a wink :weep:

Carnation
18-07-14, 18:11
Oh Dear, What a night that was. Afraid I crumbled last night. It really was Bad! Grabbed the Cat; think I was squeezing him too tight because he had a strange look on his face. Crouched on the floor downstairs where there was very little visibility of lightning and stayed there until it was gone. Shattered today and we have now got more coming tonight. :scared15:

Tessar
18-07-14, 22:03
Oh no, sorry u were suffering .... anxietyDJ & Carnation, I did think of this thread and my friends here when I heard the first rumble. I was in trepidation well before it arrived and I really wasn't impressed.
I had been outside to shut our doors & it felt really "spooky". I didn't like being outside. Then about half an hour after we went to bed I needed the loo. So I made my partner put the light on(I don't ever like to get out of bed without the lights on if there's thunder about) & I had just heard a distant rumble, I said to her do you think I'll be ok as I don't want to see any lightning. So just as I get in the bathroom there's a flash! So I screamed.
I wish I wasn't scared of it. People sat up to watch and I have seen pics. It was well spectacular but last night I just wasn't able to do that. I Wonder, if I did sit up, watch & try not to be scared perhaps I would be ok? But it seems to vary infinitely.
I have been using a live lightning map. Is really good because I know if it's near. I don't want it to make me more scared. Instead I see it as advanced warning, it means I can be more relaxed.
I was scared of it ever since I can remember. I think if I had been encouraged to embrace it instead if just being told to be quiet and stop making a fuss, perhaps now I would be able to enjoy it. For me it's a very deep and inbuilt fear. I can't think of the words to describe it really but you probably don't need me to because you know that feeling.
At the moment the storms aren't near here. I'm glad about that.

Carnation
18-07-14, 22:35
Oh God. I am absolutely sh...... myself tonight. My Anxieties are really bad, I've just been looking at the sky; sorry the 'black hole' and read someone else's post about their neighbour's house being struck by lightning.
I am going around switching all appliances off and pulling plugs out of their sockets. I am a little nervous being on the laptop, but have checked on the web and apparently this is ok to use. I've checked on the net and the storm is coming about 3am and lasting until 9am. Thing is, it has already started in the beyond, so I've missed going to bed to hide. I nearly strangled the cat last night holding him so tight. I thought I was getting better, but I have been kidding myself. I am definitely worse. last night must be the worse I have seen for a very long time. Even thinking of sleeping in the ward-robe. Is there really anyone else as bad as me. I just want to be injected with something and be put out for the duration. Have visions of staying up all night. And, to make things even more worse, according to weather sites, it is going to last all week!!!!!:scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15:: scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15:: scared15:

Tessar
18-07-14, 22:51
No it isn't allowed to last all week.
I forbid it, I have cycling to do and a lot of it.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No.
I don't know what to say carnation....... Well, actually, if I am honest your best bet is to go to your bed. You are safe in bed. Get under the bedclothes and snuggle. You might even sleep. I is where's always go and let night when the form was her here I did eventually go back to sleep even tho I didn't think I would.
I am gonna be heading to bed soon, knackered after losing sleep to it last night.
You go to bed too, in your bed. You can do it.

Carnation
18-07-14, 23:10
I will Tessar, I still have another 20 appliances to disconnect first. I also don't go to bed early, because I just don't sleep so well. An early night for me is midnight. Otherwise I just lay there anxious for hours. I have to say that I feel better turning electrical appliances off, don't know whether it was a good idea, but I have been reading about the precautions against the 'Thunder and Lightning'. Don't fret Tessar, it's not all storms, but just rain all week and not all the time. I was just saying today, I don't know why I am like this, when I was younger, I was a bit of a dare devil; a No Fear attitude. I really do want to improve, but last night was a bad one.:scared15:

Tessar
20-07-14, 22:43
Yipee the uk is thunder free. All can relax.

Brunette
21-07-14, 09:57
Here's a thought: you can actually get relaxation tracks of tropical thunderstorms and rain. If you get hold of one of those you could get yourself used to the sound of thunder - obviously it's not going to work for the lightning but it might help to have something you can control and switch off whenever you want to?

I'm sure the cat will thank you :)

Carnation
21-07-14, 20:17
The Cat runs every time it rains now. Probably thinks; "Oh No, she's going to grab me again and try to squeeze me to death".
I will give the tropical relaxations tracks a try, thanks for the tip.:)

Brunette
22-07-14, 08:51
Poor puss :D

Tessar
22-07-14, 22:34
Carnation, our previous cat was scared of thunder.
She gave me confidence because I knew I needed to be calm for her.
Our new cat isn't bothered by it.... Which is sort if a shame as I always seem to be more brave for other people or animals !

Carnation
26-07-14, 01:25
Was out when the Thunder and Lightning arrived today. Was in a Café, sky went black, Thunder rumbled with flashes of light. Stayed calm, was surprisingly ok and got back to the Car ok with no Panic.
I think I am worse when I am indoors, which doesn't make sense to me. You should feel safer in your own House, but I think its a feeling of being isolated. I had lots of people around me and I think that is more comforting. After that major storm we had, it made today look really pathetic. I am thinking of wearing flip-flops in bed though, read about a woman that was saved after a hit by Lightning. Do they make bed-socks out of rubber?:D

Tessar
26-07-14, 16:28
Well... We had a storm yesterday afternoon at work. My boss & I were at the window, watching. There was a big fork of lightning, so I said to him "at least I didn't scream". He chuckled. I don't hide it from my colleagues, my feeling is "so what if I don't like it". It no longer bothers me if they know. Initially i was concerned as i'd cycled to work but this was like 3.30 & i wasn't leaving work til 5.00. Well, The storm came to nothing really, a few flashes & rumbles. By leaving time the sun was out & it was sweltering again. When I got home, I realised I had hardly thought about thunder while I was out cycling!

You did well carnation and I have to agree with you about the feelings of isolation. If I turn the clock back 30 yrs, still living at home.... I had some time off work to look after my new kitten. One afternoon a big storm breed so I went running, kitten and all to the front of the house & felt more connected as there were people out and about. Because friends of mine know I don't like storms, I also remind myself that if a term comes along, they will be thinking about me.

Rubber socks!? Could make your feel a bit smelly!

yvonne_uk_98
27-07-14, 15:36
I used to be scared of thunder and lighting, A friend told me, that the Most HIgh was moving the funiture around, every time it thundered, my friend would say, that the big table being moved, wardrobe etc.., ya think they would lift it not make that noise. this helped me to get through the days when it was thundering and lighting.

for the lighting, my friend would tell me for the sheet lighting, refreshing the beds.
for the fork lighting, was like sitting at the table to have your meal.

this helped me. today I dont use that. I not keen on thunder and lightning, cause I have children, that sort of helped, cause i had to be brave for them.

my children are all older now. it was sort of fun, when they all came running into my room, I had to comfort them.

I can understand how frightening it can be.

Carnation
29-07-14, 00:33
I am probably boring the pants off of you all now, but had to tell you that I was woken by Thunder and Lightning this morning. Jumped out of bed, ran about a bit; like a demented person; (just woken up, so I didn't quite know what I was doing or where I wanted to be). Then couldn't be bothered with it all because I was so tired, and went back to bed. When I got up a bit later, there was flooding every where, so it must have been quite bad. Really proud I did that.:)

kittencake
04-08-14, 21:50
I share your fear, carnation. I was doing okay with it, but then last week there was a HUGE one right over my city and it absolutely terrified me... Thing is, this weekend I'm going to a festival and I'm sitting here obsessing over the fact that there might be another one and I'll be in a field, or in a tent... I wish anxiety wouldn't ruin my fun like this all the time :(

Carnation
05-08-14, 00:21
Hi Kittencake. I would be the same, but I feel much safer with lots of people around me, so I am sure you will be ok. :)

Tessar
05-08-14, 22:03
Don't forget kitten cake, that worrying about whether I will happen isn't going to alter the course of events. In fact what it will do is first make u even more vigilant & second it'll stop u having as much fun.

I share the thunder phobia so I totally relate to where u r coming from but maybe refocusing onto how much fun the festival will be is likely to be more productive.

I think it's brilliant u r going to this event.....

fallingstar
06-08-14, 21:41
I have ALWAYS had this fear too. Now that the movie TED exists, my friends and I refer to the THUNDER BUDDIES scene. It makes me giggle when it's thundering out now. I constantly check my phone's weather bug app to see where the lightning is. I've also always been afraid of twisters, even though it's an extreme rarity on the east coast of the US here. My mom told me when I was younger that if I did dishes or went to the bathroom or showered during lighting I could get struck... just so you know the chance of this happening is like 1 in a million. My mom did say tons of things to scare me as a kid though! My daughter who is 20 months is not afraid of thunder one bit! Or shots at the Dr. I look at myself in the mirror after and think "what's wrong with me? wow" but there's nothing wrong with me. It's probably just something wired in our brains from our caveman/outdoorsies days.... I think that goes for being afraid of the dark too, but not 100% sure. Don't ever feel silly for being afraid of thunder and lightning. I'm on your team!:)

AnxietyDJ
07-08-14, 02:17
I have ALWAYS had this fear too. Now that the movie TED exists, my friends and I refer to the THUNDER BUDDIES scene. It makes me giggle when it's thundering out now.

I really want to see this movie and this has just given me another reason to do so!! :)

No thunder for the past couple of weeks where I am, thank goodness :blush:

Tessar
10-08-14, 09:46
hey, you'd be proud of me (I am proud of myself).
we had a huge clap of thunder just now & I didn't scream or anything.
instead I kind sat here & thought "oh, it was thunder & not one of our neighbours doing something noisy outside".
we had several more loud claps and I saw some flashes. my partner was here but sometimes that makes no difference to my fear. I wonder if, because I was busy on the computer & not worrying about thunder, perhaps when it came I just sort of thought "oh" instead of "arrrggghhh".
My partners out now and I am not bothered about being on my own. there might be more. there might not but either way I am not bothered.
cool huh?

Brunette
10-08-14, 12:49
Great, well done you!

Carnation
11-08-14, 01:37
Well Done Tessar, I have yet to get to your level. I am a little better than I was before, and it is the lightning that is the frightening bit, but I am not cowering on the floor. :unsure:

AnxietyDJ
11-08-14, 14:27
Lots of thunder here across the weekend... I managed to brave it out for a while... I sat with my dog (who hates thunder even more than me) and comforted her, which kinda took my mind off of myself. In the end though I did put my headphones on to drown out the claps... Well done to those of you who also made some progress this time around! It's so reassuring to know I am not the only one going through this :)

Carnation
11-08-14, 20:17
AnxietyDJ, there must be loads of people like us that are afraid. I just wonder if it gets easier as you get older? :ohmy:

Tessar
11-08-14, 21:42
AnxietyDJ, there must be loads of people like us that are afraid. I just wonder if it gets easier as you get older? :ohmy:

Yes and no really, I am able to rationalise my fear better now I am older.
I think often the trouble is that if it takes me by surprise. Tonight just after I got in from work we had a few close by rumbles but then one biggie, course that one did make me jump. My partner laughed because i did literally jump. But then she admitted she jumps at thunder sometimes so really we aren't that different.
I'd like to think you get better it's age :-)

Carnation
14-08-14, 20:02
Oh, Tessar, you would laughed at me today. Got caught out in the storm without a coat and wearing flip-flops. Got stranded at a corner shop, decided to make a run for it, got drenched and then, the good ol thunder and lighting went in to full force.
I screamed, ran around like a caged gerbil and ran in to a nearby Dentist.
The Receptionist looked at me very strangely as I tried to explain to her my fear of Thunder and Lightning. I pleaded with her; "Please don't send me out there, I really am scared". I totally lost it.
Well, there was a short break from the storm and I ran all the way home; (all of 5 mins), absolutely drenched and feeling very crazy. This was not a good one for me. :(

Tessar
14-08-14, 20:21
Oh poor you, carnation, it's never easy is it. I remember getting caught in town when there was a mega shot cloudburst with violent tender & lightning overhead, there were loads of people sheltering in shop & office doorways. I think I felt ok because I had company. I was like playing sardines.l
When I was about 11 ... I was walking home from school and there was a clap of tender. Like you I ran all the way home. I was terrified. Quite frankly I would likely do the same today if it happened to me. I am not surprised you ran. Also I think the receptionist could have been a ad more sympathetic.
We had storms rumbling near work today. Lots of rain, I braved it and cycled to work. When the rain and thunder started, I did wonder if I had made a mistake but luckily I got home dry.
Had I been out and there'd been thunder I can assure you I would most definitely have screamed!!!!

AnxietyDJ
15-08-14, 14:42
Another big storm here yesterday... Managed to cope a little better again (not sure, but could be the new meds making me feel calmer), which was good. Hope everyone else out there is doing ok during the bad weather :hugs:

Carnation
19-09-14, 19:18
Oh my God! We had a nasty one here last night. I went to pieces and even my Partner woke up and came down stairs. In fact a whole street was struck by lightning and I was sure that we had been from the sound of the bang. A man fixing one of the alarms said it was 2000 volts. And, another one expected tonight. It's so scary and I just don't know what to do when this happens. I sit on the floor, hugging my knees and make strange little cries every time I see the flashes of lightning. :ohmy:

Carnation
19-09-14, 19:45
I'm about 20 minutes from Heathrow Airport and 20 minutes from Central London. We always get it bad here and I am not looking forward to tonight. :scared15:

Tessar
19-09-14, 20:49
I thought of u yesterday afternoon, Carnation, we had a vicious storm nr work, about an hour before I was due to cycle home! When I left it had stopped fortunately..... All the way home I felt like I had my eye on the clouds, looking over my shoulder. I am glad to say there was no more!
I was pretty scared wheni was almost overhead. My partner offered to drive over and get me plus a colleague said she'd have driven me home. But as I say it didnt come to that.
As I left the office, I did look at the skies and hope it would stay away.
I wish I could do something to help you, Carnation, but I am too far away. I have looked at the lightning strike www and there aren't any storms nr you now.

Carnation
19-09-14, 21:37
You are so brave Deadmanwalking, I wish I could be more like you.

Tessar, I am freaking out tonight, can not calm down. Think I am going to be hit tonight and die!!!! I know it sounds silly, but it was so bad the night before and now I know a whole street was hit, it has made me worse; if that is even possible.
My Partner said I should just go to bed and hide under the covers. This is causing me bad chest pain and twitching muscles which I am trying to ignore, but I know I am bad. Maybe I should just except that I am going to Die and be done with it. :scared15:
(P.s. Tessar, you are so brave, I don't know how you do it?).

Sunflower2
19-09-14, 21:48
My mum has always absolutely hated thunder and lightning and doesn't even like it if there are dark ominous clouds. In this situation I'm the one reassuring her! We don't get much thunder up in aberdeen though, it's probably always too cold! We once we had thunder and lightning in a blizzard and that was so strange it was scary! I've also landed in a plane at heathrow in thunder and lightning, nothing happened but it was weird seeing lightning beside the plane!

Although the thing I can probably relate to this is I hate strong winds. I get so worried that trees will fall over or branches will come off when I'm out driving or walking. So kind of worrying about the same outcome - being hit by something dangerous which is scary but not that likely!

Carnation
19-09-14, 22:14
Hi Kimberley, I have been in Spain waiting to board a flight when I had the most brilliant display of Lightning through the many panes of glass in the Airport and I did get on the plane and fly home, because I had to. I did have the knowledge that the skies had been cleared before take-off, but I was ok then. I also stayed in a Mountain top apartment in Spain and experienced the same thing and I was fine. But lately, I have been so bad, it seems that I have to have something to Panic about. Now that I have mastered the Motorway thing and starting to get the feel of the car and driving again. It is now the Storms that freak me out the most. Where is the logic in all of this. Three days ago I was climbing a ladder and cutting down a 30ft tree and I could have easily fallen, but that didn't scare me.:shrug:

Sunflower2
19-09-14, 22:50
Oh I know what you mean about your mind just shifting fears to whatever feels weakest! You get past one thing and then the next thing becomes difficult! I think it's just your mind needing something to focus it's anxiety on as when you overcome something there must be a gap of worry that needs filling!
Wow a 30ft tree! I'd be clinging to the ladder in fear! Or better yet, I'd be on the ground haha!

Carnation
19-09-14, 23:00
Yeah, I know. It's madness. But, I did it because Mum kept moaning about it getting too big. And, I did have the help of the next-door neighbour. But, I was up the ladder, as I have no fear of heights at all. The 'Thunder and Lightning' however makes me feel like a 5 year old child. Screaming, crying, huddled in a corner shaking; it's a nightmare! :scared15:

Tessar
19-09-14, 23:38
(P.s. Tessar, you are so brave, I don't know how you do it?).

Well... In the end probably because I had to :-) and also the storm had passed.

You are NOT going to get struck you hear?

U need to STOP thinking as much about it and STOP allowing your mind to run riot,
It's really I,pmportant to do that last bit. You need to occupy your kind with things that are more productive.
That energy u r burning up on this fear..... Think how powerful it is.
So powerful it generates severe physical symptoms.
Imagine the positive, good things you could do with all that .... And the benefits to you both physically and psychologically.

It's no guarantee a storm wouldn't brew but there are NO storms in your area (or anywhere close) right how.
What you need is to go to bed at your normal time and plan for sleep.
No negative thinking.... Be good now.. please :-)

Carnation
19-09-14, 23:54
Yes, Tessar. I've let me Mind go haywire. I have suffered tonight with some of those physical symptoms. That is why I have been on here all night. I'm quite annoyed with myself. No excuse, but I've had a lot of stress with my Mum lately; well, since my Dad passed away 5 months ago. She doesn't understand my illness and just wants my attention all the time. I get very tired and there is no time left for me or with my Partner. I'm always worse when I am tired and exhausted; which I am. But, I am going to try and go to bed tonight and what ever happens, happens. I always take precautions anyway. (That sounds a bit iffy, but you know what I mean). :ohmy:

Tessar
20-09-14, 07:24
Well, you are definitely right that when tired it is much harder.
Your mother cannot demand your attention all of the time. That is not a fair act on her part. Indeed you need time. Be that time to yourself or the with your partner. It may be that radially u need to set boundaries. Obviously I don't know your situation but I am thinking certain days of the week you need a full break from having to pay her attention.
Gradually she needs to be stronger for herself, bit of course if elderly that's a tall order.
Its estly days i know But put frankly the responsibility is not all yours.
Things like that tugging away at you all the time will drag you down so it's Important to readjust the balance here.
Otherwise you will never get a break.
Hmmmn this might have sounded like a rant but I am just speaking my mind on your behalf :-)

Carnation
20-09-14, 17:13
Oh my, don't you get up early.
Well, after all that there was no storm after all. All that fretting and pacing up and down and it didn't come. That's the problem with nature, it is so unpredictable and challenging. I need to calm my nerves incas0e of another situation like last night.
Thank you Tessar for your opinion on my circumstances regarding my Mother. It is a very difficult situation and my Mum is from the old school where you just get on with things; no matter how hard the task may be. I am slowly taking a back seat when I can, but unfortunately my Father did everything for her, so it's only what she has been used to. She is not independent at all. I have had to fend myself growing up, so it's just looking after another me. Only thing is with the Anxiety problem, I am not always in a position to do this and she just doesn't understand. I can only do my best.

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-14, 03:45
That's the problem with nature, it is so unpredictable and challenging. .

When you said that it reminded me of this Monty Python sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ72fcHDUC8

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Carnation
21-09-14, 20:11
MynameisTerry; that did make me smile. It was just what I needed. Love Monty Python. Nothing better than a good bit of British humour to cheer you up.:)

MyNameIsTerry
22-09-14, 02:41
If only that worked though! You could say "oy, thunder...clear auuuffff!!!

Monty Python was really good. I always used to laugh at the "camouflaged in this field is a highly trained SAS soldier, we can't see him as he is an expert....BANG!" Always loved The Holy Grail film.

It seems that those storms have passed over now so I don't think we will be seeing anymore of that. I wonder if you could try meditating when that situation arises again? Or maybe some form of movement based Mindfulness like Tai Chi or QiGong so that you are focussing on your mind & body? I used to have a lot of sleep issues and most of it has been resolved now and whilst thunder doesn't both me (probably would have at my most anxious points) I now even sleep though it when its right overhead so I must be relaxed enough. Maybe some form of relaxation through it would help. I know its sounds a bit daft, but perhaps a movement based form would help because it would use your subconscious to control your body as well as you trying to calm your mind?

P.S. I had to give up in the game The Fisher after hitting 100k...that must have been one hell of a distraction day!

Carnation
23-09-14, 01:33
They are good tips MynameisTerry. I do Yoga, so I am going to put that into practice next time Thunder approaches. (It's worth a try).

The 'Fisher Game' took oh so long, I was watching TV at the same time and could have gone on for even longer, but decided to kill it dead. Not sure if these games or good for you or not? But, I find that I need to keep my Mind busy with stuff in the evening; it's my worst time for Anxieties.

Tessar
28-09-14, 08:34
hey carnation its your early morning alarm call... well its not THAT early now but I've been up since about 7.30 and it made me think of you!
All is calm at the moment then, no storms! just the way we like it eh?

Carnation
28-09-14, 22:10
The weather is just perfect and actually I was up before you this morning as I did a Car-Boot this morning. :D

Tessar
28-09-14, 22:21
Oh my..... U were up super early!!

Carnation
28-09-14, 22:24
I've never seen mist on the ground before. It must have been two foot deep.:ohmy:

Tessar
09-10-14, 21:15
That sounds spooky carnation.

Get this.... U will be so proud of me today! Well, I suppose I had no choice really but I was on a flight for work & as we came in to land the captain said there were thunder clouds ahead..... Well u can imagine I thought arrrggghhhh!!! Anyway we had quite a bumpy landing but I survived. Glad to say no thunder!

So... I drive back to work... But as I go up the hill (through the trees) there's a big flash!!! Then I hear the thunder..... So I am like I just have to get to the office ... QUICK!! I felt more scared than when I was in the plane. As I park up ...cat here's another massive flash andhuuuuge rumble (almost overhead) but then..... Something happened.

I calmly got out of my car and walk across the car park. I didn't panic ... I just walked normally. I was quite hyper when I got into the office but then I'd had two plane short flights and been outdoors in a storm so I felt that was ok. I had coped well.

You'd think that was it.l.l but it wasn't. I drive home & while on a big, exposed, roundabout over the motorway I could see it getting darker and darker,... The rain got really heavy. I tight "it's gonna thunder" & bout 10 seconds later.... Another huge fork of lightning & thunder, again almost overhead. Anyway, I then popped into a shop & was relieved the rain & thunder had stopped when I came out.

So now for the 10 min drive home. Oh nooooo another big flash & clap of thunder just as I drove down a big hill with a wide view!

It really had it in for me today but then...... Something else amazing happened. Instead of feeling the absolute need to park right outside home (so I didn't have to walk too far in case there was another flash) ..... I just decided it didn't matter where I parked. As it happened I walked about 45 seconds to my door & I wasn't scared.

Obviously if there had been a flash I probably would have screamed and legged it but at least I didn't feel the need to run home when there werent any flashes.

I might still get scared another time, but bear this in mind.... A colleague of mine was also out driving in that storm. She jumped worse than I did when the first flash happened. And she isn't scared of tender and lightning.

So..... It's the unexpectedness of it for me. I think if I knew it was coming, I might not be as scared. So perhaps I would e calmer in the first place. I have done the whole "must be in bed and tucked up she before it comes" thing. I am sure I will do it again if I am likely to be home alone when storms are predicted.

Anyway, I thought my experiences today might be interesting.

Also I have to say, it helped me alot thinking about this thread while I was experiencing all that. It helped me to think about what I might say. Also it definitely helped me be brave too. Thanks for starting this, carnation.

Carnation
10-10-14, 02:04
Tessar, that sounds like the makings of a Movie. You often see Thunder and lightning in films and I make a point of watching it to help my fears. We didn't have any thunder here today, just a lot of rain. I always find I can cope with it better during the day than at night. For one thing, I am fully dressed if I have to leg it and the other thing is there are more people around, so it makes me feel safer. You certainly had challenge after challenge and the plane must have been the worst. Well Done!!!! :)

Tessar
11-10-14, 07:34
A movie eh? Bit like Dual .... Only I a, pursued by thunder clouds and not a lorry!
Well, I had another brush with a storm this morning. nipped to the loo at 5.00 & thought I same a flash of lightning. Amazingly I didn't jump. It wasn't a big one. Anyway, went back to bed and said to my partner I'd seen a flash. They didnt dismiss it but said they didn't see anything, so 20 mins later a distant storm approached! We were about to get up and watch it (as part of the conditioning process but thn it all went away. Anyway at least I was prepared to try and watch..... That's progress in itself!

Keep up the good work eh?

mnaha
17-11-14, 08:07
I hope you get over this fear...Thunder and Lightning is so awesome...Its like feeling of how really insignificant we are on this planet. Its like the Gods come alive and show us that we are mere mortals passing through time and thunder and lightning is time...I love watching the bolts of tens of millions of volts striking the ground dancing here and there and moving across the landscape also the sound of the thunder making the glass shake in the house..I was on the phone once and lightning struck a tree outside and knocked me across the room. I was lucky to be alive but never afraid of it. I used to be afraid of bad weather coming because we lived in an area of tornadoes but i got better at reading the weather;s radars than they were and some what of an amateur meteorologist and after I understood what was making storm systems do what they were doing and what was really coming in our direction other than worrying about what the fear mongers were broadcasting I worried less and less. Now every chance I get I record the lightning and thunder and rain and play it to sleep by. I hope you put some thought into understanding the weather and trying to decide what its going to really do instead of what they are forecasting and I think you will decide its not worth being afraid of but being in awe of. Now if you are outside and in the middle of the country side and there is lightning I would say keep as low as you can and don't stand under trees or poles...because lightning does choose the quickest way to ground so please be aware of that but if you are inside ,you are usually pretty safe. Good luck with your fear.I have fears to and I know how scary they can be so I don't envy you about being afraid but thank goodness I can to terms with my fear of weather and now its a nice thing for me to study when I get a chance.

Kiltieman
24-11-14, 17:07
I can fully understand why people are scared of thunder and lightning and there is nothing at all to be ashamed of in that at all. Its not so much the lightning that scares me but the sudden loud bang of the thunder makes me jump and my anxiety levels go up because I know there will be a bang but I dont know exactly when. I'm the same with anything that I know can go bang especially balloons! Yes you heard right. Ive been like that since a very young boy and though it has got a little better it still bothers me. Balloons were the source of a lot of anxiety and panic when I was young and it has never gone away. It sounds daft but there we go. The odd thing is that I dont mind balloons as such but I hate it when other people are blowing them up ot fooling around with them because I know there could be a loud bang but I dont know when.

kristaok
01-12-14, 04:32
Oddly I enjoy thunder and lightning before bed, but I am very terrified of storms when I'm riding with my husband in the car. I have a weird fear of wrecking, so I make him stop when it rains. Again I love storms when I'm at home as it comforts me and helps me sleep, but I hate going out in one, weird huh?

Carnation
23-06-16, 11:23
I thought I would re-vamp this thread.

I have had a major fear of thunder and lightning which became more apparent in the latter part of my life. For what reason, I do not know.

Anyway, last night was a beauty. I mean that in a sarcastic way.
I live in the South East and we had a month's rain in a few hours.
The lightning was like being at a 'John Michel Jarre' concert' and the thunder clapped, rumbled and banged. An absolute nightmare for me.

Normally, I would have to get up, go downstairs; I don't know why, but for some reason I think the ground is safer then being upstairs). And huddle in a corner where I feel safe, screaming my head off.

Well, last night I stayed in bed, pulled the covers over me and although I was scared, I seemed to deal with it a little better. Yes, I was awake through it all, but I wasn't screaming or shaking like I normally do. I was scared, but I felt safer.

Unfortunately, we have a repeat performance coming tonight. :scared15:

sedalia
23-06-16, 16:55
Thank you for reviving this. I too am terrified of storms. I live in West Sussex and we too had the horrendous storms last night. You were very brave staying upstairs. I go downstairs (my thinking is that if the roof gets hit at least I won't be directly underneath). I had my headphones on playing loud music, and an eye mask on to try to block out the lightning. I know that won't help desensitise me to it but I didn't know what else to do, it was so awful. I nearly went into full panic mode in that my legs started shaking and my teeth were chattering. As you say, more are forecast and the heavy rain has just started. I hope it's over with before bedtime so I can catch up on last night's sleep. I came on here to see if anyone had successfully overcome this phobia, as it's taking over my life, and I dread every summer.

Carnation
23-06-16, 17:30
Sedalia, that's exactly how I use to see it. Lower ground, less likely to be hit.
I desperately need to sleep tonight too. I am on full alert when there is a storm. :scared15:
Night-time is worse for me, because the dark makes it seem more powerful.

I too hope someone comes on the thread that has overcome this phobia.

Fishmanpa
23-06-16, 18:54
I don't have a fear of this but I wanted to relate a funny incident that happened last night. Storms were rolling through the area from around 2am until early morning. So there were rumblings of thunder going on for hours. Couple that with my wife's snoring and you can only imagine the VERY bizarre nature of my dreams ~lol~

My wife told me this morning that I woke up a couple of times speaking pure nonsense :huh: I have no distinct recollection other than I know it was really weird!

Positive thoughts

Sunflower2
24-06-16, 19:50
Well this morning at 6am I was woken by a huge rumble and crack. My window was open and my head is right close to the window. It was so loud and I was so groggy I had no idea what was even going on, I thought there was a digger or something outside!

Thunder doesn't really bother me much, but goodness me that was loud! We also had a local power supply struck and lost power! We don't get thunder storms here often so when they do happen they are all the more scary/exciting!

Bigboyuk
20-08-16, 12:31
Hi So glad I have found this revived thread on Thunder Storms. I do have a real fear of this and here's the reason why: Some years back we went on holiday (family) to goood old Butlins :) I was only quite young
but remember it very well! Well one night we were playing bingo Red number 40, Blue number 1, etc ,etc
and you slided covers over the numbers as they were called out :) Any way about 8pm the sky went black and I heard thunder so I said I am going back to the chalet! The trouble is our chalet was at the other end of the camp :eek: If any can remember they were bulit like terraced houses and had letters
at the end of each row guess where we were Row Z!!! I ran back to the chalet which was on the first floor
and at the end of row Z couldn't get any worse than that!

Any way by then the storm had really picked up and was really over head you couldn't even count
the seconds between the flash and the thunder 1 sec = 5 miles away and like I say you couldn't even count 1 sec :eek: the storm continued right through the night and at midnight i saw a flash from the
chalet window overlooking the hills and the wooden Pylon carrying power to the camp was hit
OMG it was terrible the electricity went off so got my torch out which didn't last above 1 hr so from 8pm
till about 6 am the following day the storm raged on.

I am a little better now but If we get very bad over head thunder and lightning then that's it iam shaking like a leaf if it's really bad then i don't use my phone and unplug the tv aerial and the mains plug
I still count the number of seconds between the flash and the thunder if it's 3 or more seconds
then I am fine any less then I get worried! Thanks for reading :)

randomforeigner
20-08-16, 15:16
It doesn't sound like a severe phobia to me, but rather quite sound to be a little bit wary under those circumstances. Only the unwise would call on a landline, grab on to the tv aerial, hold up an umbrella in an open football field (like a parabola antenna), sit under a big tree, etc. with a raging thunderstorm immediately overhead.

Bigboyuk
21-08-16, 15:06
It doesn't sound like a severe phobia to me, but rather quite sound to be a little bit wary under those circumstances. Only the unwise would call on a landline, grab on to the tv aerial, hold up an umbrella in an open football field (like a parabola antenna), sit under a big tree, etc. with a raging thunderstorm immediately overhead. What makes you say that? I can asure you when there is bad storm I go to pieces this stems back from a early childhood experience but hear what you are saying
my level of panic is only reached when it's really bad. So I do have a phobia about this Lightning is very dangerous!!! Thanks for your comments :)

randomforeigner
21-08-16, 20:01
Ok, ok, if you say so then it is. :shrug:

Bigboyuk
22-08-16, 13:40
Ok, ok, if you say so then it is. :shrug: I do sincerly believe it is as my heart does race at the end of the day it may not be as bad as some sufferes where as soon as a storm starts then they panic but I do have a real fear of heavy overhead storms I have heard people say in the past it doesn't bother them in the slightest and they can watch a storm from start to finnish :) That's the opposite to me!!!

KatiePink
22-08-16, 13:43
I am the same. As soon as a storm starts i turn into a little child, i am shaking and i usually hide of find the 'safest' place in the house. I instantly go on the lightening map website to see where it is hitting. Thunder makes me cry sometimes and i am just a mess until it stops. Pretty embarrassing

Carnation
22-08-16, 17:18
I do that KatiePink.

Go on the lightening map. :scared15: Why do we do that? It makes it worse!!!

KatiePink
22-08-16, 17:41
I do that KatiePink.

Go on the lightening map. :scared15: Why do we do that? It makes it worse!!!

I know! :doh:

babywhale
03-04-17, 20:41
Hi all - I'm new to this site, and am exploring the various groups and threads.

I've always been scared of thunder and lightning but it's getting worse as I get older.

I've had some bad experiences over the years...

Once I was playing a tennis tournament and during my match, a storm was quickly brewing overhead. No rain at that point so the referee told us to carry on playing, but fork lighting all around. I lost the match quickly and deliberately and then had to cycle home. Sadly the storm and rain was right in top of me, and one bolt was so close that the thunder was instantaneous. I quickly sheltered in a nearby pub for an hour. No money on me either.

Another time I was at a beach party and an evening storm was approaching. I begged my friend to leave and heard back to our apartment, which we eventually did. Within five minutes of being home, the storm was overhead, really powerful, and it felt like the windows were going to blow in. It was still around the next morning when we had to leave. The walk to the train station was a nightmare, as the place we were had streets littered with telegraph poles. Once inside the train station there was a huge bang, and we informed that a train on the platform outside had just been hit. :ohmy:

Also, once when I was at college, a bolt hit one of the college buildings and travelled down the chimney, and blew someone across the room. And on another occasion, i colleague of mine - a policeman - was hit directly, the lightning having travelled down through his radio. He survived but was left with one of those nasty leaf-pattern scars down one side of his body.

Needless to say, my fear is strong, and it is worsening with age. I have the live lightning app and use this to check to see if there is any lightning about, and I do plan my day around it. One of my dogs is also terrified of thunder, having been exposed to some nasty storms when we were on holiday in a caravan (with poor soundproofing) - the poor lamb now freaks out at the sound of passing planes, or rumbling lorries.

If I'm out in public and get caught, I generally flock to an indoor shopping center where the sound proofing is good and where there aren't windows. If in the house, I'll close the windows and curtains, and hide under the covers with my headphones in. The worst part is thinking it has passed, only to get a sudden bolt and rumble, or perhaps a few in succession, telling you that it has come back again or was just a brief lull.

I don't find weather forecasting apps reliable enough. The live lightning one is really useful. I used it last summer when traveling down from scotland to north wales, and managed to avoid a live storm in the Preston area that was moving eastwards. :blush:

Carnation
03-04-17, 21:04
Welcome to the Forum babywhale. :welcome:

babywhale
03-04-17, 21:17
Thanks carnation. It feels so good to be able to relate to others.

Phobias include: thunder and lightning, wasps, and feeling trapped or confined (even a heavy tog duvet can do it).

Conditions: general anxiety, social anxiety and depression - with insomnia and IBS thrown in.

Currently on an 8-week mindfulness course through the NHS.

Bigboyuk
04-04-17, 11:51
Thanks carnation. It feels so good to be able to relate to others.

Phobias include: thunder and lightning, wasps, and feeling trapped or confined (even a heavy tog duvet can do it).

Conditions: general anxiety, social anxiety and depression - with insomnia and IBS thrown in.

Currently on an 8-week mindfulness course through the NHS. Hi and welcome babywhale to NMP good to have you aboard take a look at page 10 reply #98 and that's why I am terrified of thunder and lightening from a nasty child hood experience it was a tropical storm in the uk I know the actual thunder can never hurt you but lightning can it's as simple as. One tip that has helped me is after the flash count in seconds till you hear the thunder every second that passes is = to 5 miles away So childhood experiences do make a difference wether you become scared of something or you don't :)
Yeah don't like wasps, Bee's iam fine with. Suffer from long term depression and have bad sleep patterns too so can relate to you in many ways :) Cheers

Carnation
04-04-17, 19:06
At night, I just hide under the duvet now, but like you Bigboy, all electrics have to be turned off. I've actually got worse as I have got older. :scared15:
I go nuts over wasps too.

babywhale
04-04-17, 20:20
It doesn't sound like a severe phobia to me, but rather quite sound to be a little bit wary under those circumstances. Only the unwise would call on a landline, grab on to the tv aerial, hold up an umbrella in an open football field (like a parabola antenna), sit under a big tree, etc. with a raging thunderstorm immediately overhead.

I think the issue is that there is still a chance that you might get hit and killed or seriously injured, no matter what precautions you've taken. I've seen post-storm photos of houses having been hit, and they're just normal houses, no higher than the other ones around them, and even surrounded by taller trees that didn't get hit. If i absolutely knew that I couldn't get hit, then I don't think I'd have the fear.

What is irrational - and why it is a phobia - is that I know there's more chance of dying by crossing the road, driving in a car, or falling into a river than there is from being hit by lightning, yet I'm not afraid of doing those things.

With lightning, it doesn't happen everyday so its not a familiar risk which we can overcome through constant, gradual exposure. In fact its quite a rare event where i live (2-3 thundery days/nights per year), which means its more noticeable, more disturbing, different each time, and I'm usually doing something different at the time. Some times the storm has been some distance away but 'felt' close, and then another time you discover what it means to have it right overhead, where you hear the thunder at the same time as the lightning.

There are few scarier (some would say thrilling) sounds and sights than hearing the lightning as it forks across the sky and then produces a sonic boom sound, and changes colour from white/blue to orange on making contact with the ground, a building or a person.

Bigboyuk
04-04-17, 22:27
At night, I just hide under the duvet now, but like you Bigboy, all electrics have to be turned off. I've actually got worse as I have got older. :scared15:
I go nuts over wasps too. I just shake if it's really over head, that's
why I count now the number of seconds from flash to rumble try it, it may offer you some comfort :) for eg if I count 5 seconds then it doesn't bother me atall now as it's not over head but 25 miles away:yesyes: Cheers

Carnation
04-04-17, 23:47
Thanks for the tip x

Bigboyuk
05-04-17, 10:49
Thanks for the tip x You are welcome :) X

Tessar
23-05-17, 20:27
Hey there. Been a while since I was on the forum but simply had to comment here. Ok, talk about facing all your fears? Last Friday I had a general anaesthetic, a hysteroscopy & then when I was recovering there was a massive thunderstorm!
Seriously folks, I honestly had so little fear about any of it, I'm amazed.
And why did I have no fear?
For the procedure, I knew it was necessary. I decided I would not think about it. No worrying at all. That's what I did. As a result I was pretty calm on the day.
The lack of thunder fear I'm certain is that I'd not long come out of my anaesthetic so was really chilled.
So there you go. Truly positive experience that I felt I needed to share.

Bigboyuk
23-05-17, 20:54
Hey there. Been a while since I was on the forum but simply had to comment here. Ok, talk about facing all your fears? Last Friday I had a general anaesthetic, a hysteroscopy & then when I was recovering there was a massive thunderstorm!
Seriously folks, I honestly had so little fear about any of it, I'm amazed.
And why did I have no fear?
For the procedure, I knew it was necessary. I decided I would not think about it. No worrying at all. That's what I did. As a result I was pretty calm on the day.
The lack of thunder fear I'm certain is that I'd not long come out of my anaesthetic so was really chilled.
So there you go. Truly positive experience that I felt I needed to share. While I am pleased for you, you were chilled because you had not long come out of the anaesthetic the real test is when the next massive storm hits. Cheers

Tessar
28-05-17, 08:22
While I am pleased for you, you were chilled because you had not long come out of the anaesthetic the real test is when the next massive storm hits. Cheers

Yeah that's what I felt you, Bigboyuk, and of course yesterday there were widespread storms in the country..... must admit, I needed the loo in the night and typically while I was there..... I noticed a series flashes from the window behind me. I immediately thought arrrgggghhhhhhh & was anxious but not 100% certain it was lightning.
I scooted back to bed and told my partner I thought I'd seen lightning.... of course they were dismissive.
Then a bit later came the first rumble.
I insisted it was thunder.... my partner was like ... no it didn't sound right, it was a plane but of course rumble no.2 came & well, it was then obviously a storm.

One big difference in my behaviour now is, if I have company (& sometimes on my own if I feel comfortable with it) I will go to the window and watch. I am ok with that because whilst it's scary, I also now find it exhilarating.

The bit I know will always get me, is if I'm focused elsewhere & there's a sudden flash or clap of thunder. It's the uncertainty that's difficult to cope with but them even an unexpected loud noise will always make me jump.

At least I can be happy in the knowledge that I deal with storms far better than I used to.

:-)

Magic
28-05-17, 16:08
Hiya Tess. hope you are on the mend now. Thought your had left.
Take Care .. .as for the thunder and lightening, I just sit at the bottom of the stairs, xx

Tessar
14-06-17, 13:29
Take Care .. .as for the thunder and lightening, I just sit at the bottom of the stairs, xx

Hey Magic :-)
I drop in every now & then..... but have been very busy getting on with stuff. A lot of family stuff has gone on the last year which has taken up much of my time.
Hope u r doing ok?
We haven't had any more thunder since my last post so that's good :-)

Pamplemousse
15-06-17, 00:28
I just shake if it's really over head, that's
why I count now the number of seconds from flash to rumble try it, it may offer you some comfort :) for eg if I count 5 seconds then it doesn't bother me atall now as it's not over head but 25 miles away:yesyes: Cheers
Errrr.... at 5 seconds, it's one mile away.

Speed of sound ~ 330 metres/second

One mile = 1600 metres.

1600/330 ~ 5.

I was terrified of storms as a child: my great-aunt would turn mirrors and cover cutlery when there was one - but I slowly grew out of it until when I was eighteen and some friends and I went train-spotting in my car (I'd just passed my test). It was a lovely hot summer day, but the weather turned and a storm was getting closer and closer - we were up on a bridge over the railway line. A mate and I decided to go shelter in the car when, as we were walking towards it, a lightning strike hit a telephone pole a few metres away. We both hit the deck in what felt like slow motion...

That scared me for a long time, and eventually I started to get better until one windy January night, I was sitting with my wife when all of a sudden the room lit up blue and there was the most deafening BANG! It was an overhead strike; I was already cowering and my wife got up to look out of the front door as I thought it was a gas explosion. As she looked out of the door, a strike came down somewhere, blinding her temporarily. When I got her sat back down, I noticed our telephone answering machine's tape was running very slowly, with flashing lights and general strange behaviour (like something out of the X-Files, which was contemporary at the time). It had been damaged by EMP - I fixed it and got it mostly working again (a lot of dead transistors) but the pulse had fried the memory chip so it never stored phone numbers again.

I can cope with a storm about a mile or two away now, and I still have fond memories of watching one rage from the top floor of the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta - the tallest hotel in the city!

Bigboyuk
15-06-17, 09:52
Errrr.... at 5 seconds, it's one mile away.

Speed of sound ~ 330 metres/second

One mile = 1600 metres.

1600/330 ~ 5.

I was terrified of storms as a child: my great-aunt would turn mirrors and cover cutlery when there was one - but I slowly grew out of it until when I was eighteen and some friends and I went train-spotting in my car (I'd just passed my test). It was a lovely hot summer day, but the weather turned and a storm was getting closer and closer - we were up on a bridge over the railway line. A mate and I decided to go shelter in the car when, as we were walking towards it, a lightning strike hit a telephone pole a few metres away. We both hit the deck in what felt like slow motion...

That scared me for a long time, and eventually I started to get better until one windy January night, I was sitting with my wife when all of a sudden the room lit up blue and there was the most deafening BANG! It was an overhead strike; I was already cowering and my wife got up to look out of the front door as I thought it was a gas explosion. As she looked out of the door, a strike came down somewhere, blinding her temporarily. When I got her sat back down, I noticed our telephone answering machine's tape was running very slowly, with flashing lights and general strange behaviour (like something out of the X-Files, which was contemporary at the time). It had been damaged by EMP - I fixed it and got it mostly working again (a lot of dead transistors) but the pulse had fried the memory chip so it never stored phone numbers again.

I can cope with a storm about a mile or two away now, and I still have fond memories of watching one rage from the top floor of the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta - the tallest hotel in the city! Ahh Ok Got it wrong way round ;) That's some story And no wonder it affected you. And yes always safe in a car even if it's struck more than once, as it acts as faraday's cage ;)
Your second story and in January sounds really freaky for a start you don't associate Thunder and Lightning in January! It's one powerful phenomenon that should be treated with respect. If only it could be harnessed that could really help with our energy needs in the future, but It's a huge undertaking if it can be done atall. And yes iam better within my self too but if it's over head I go to pieces. Thanks for you stories Cheers

Pamplemousse
15-06-17, 15:28
I think - but I'm not sure now - that the only other time I may have experienced lightning in January was back in 1975, when there were also very high winds. However, the flash and crash I heard could just have easily been one of my Dad's huge greenhouses collapsing!

But yes, I genuinely think that the occasion I described earlier was the only time I recall lightning in January, ever. We do tend to associate it with summer.

And yes, I still hate it when it's overhead. I'm terrified it'll strike the huge tree in my back garden and it'll collapse onto my house.

Pamplemousse
12-07-17, 19:05
As we had a few rumbles around the UK recently, I thought I'd post a link to the excellent www.blitzortung.org (http://www.blitzortung.org) - a site which tracks and locates lightning around the world.

https://s26.postimg.org/itl0n6smx/blitzortung_grab.png

The small crosses are where lightning has occurred - white is new, red is old. The green rays show which detectors have picked up on the lightning and co-ordinate the positions to give a precise location.

If nothing else, you can watch storms develop elsewhere, and if you are so minded it can act as a tracking device when your locality has storms forecast. Ideally, you will use this knowledge in a positive manner to help you confront your phobia :)

Bigboyuk
12-07-17, 19:36
As we had a few rumbles around the UK recently, I thought I'd post a link to the excellent www.blitzortung.org (http://www.blitzortung.org) - a site which tracks and locates lightning around the world.

https://s26.postimg.org/itl0n6smx/blitzortung_grab.png

The small crosses are where lightning has occurred - white is new, red is old. The green rays show which detectors have picked up on the lightning and co-ordinate the positions to give a precise location.

If nothing else, you can watch storms develop elsewhere, and if you are so minded it can act as a tracking device when your locality has storms forecast. Ideally, you will use this knowledge in a positive manner to help you confront your phobia :) Hi This is excellent Pamplemousse and will help suffers like my self thanks :)

Pea Tear Griffin
15-07-17, 20:33
Watch TED he shows you how to cope with thunder :)

Tessar
06-08-17, 20:57

Hi magic. It's a loooooong story.... I am good in the sense all the hard work I did in counselling has paid off. It made me stronger, stronger than I know perhaps, even now. Many downs, just stuff life throws at you. No choice but to deal with it.
As regards thunder and lightning.... well I am better with it than I used to be.... if it doesn't take me by surprise then that helps. I use lightningmaps.org, means I can keep tabs if I need to :-)
In the end, I suppose we all do what we have to, to cope :-)

Carnation
18-06-19, 21:12
I'm resurrecting this thread due to the current storm and for people that fear them like myself. :scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
19-06-19, 13:46
I'm resurrecting this thread due to the current storm and for people that fear them like myself. :scared15:

Yeah, very weird weather at the moment isn't it? We seem to be having April showers around here too. They do tend to happen later these days though.

We had some thunder last week too. It rained for about 3 straight days pretty much non stop and most of the time heavy. The plants are loving it but I don't think our sparrows are as happy as they stay in more and prefer their drenching to come in the form of regular baths in our waterfall.

Hopefully it will pass over soon. Thunder doesn't bother me but in the last one I had a bedroom window open (I've had them all open in previous years when we had thunder too) and it is so much louder!

sedalia
24-07-19, 18:48
Thank you for reviving this thread. The high temperatures are really stressing me out. We had a storm last night and more are forecast tomorrow night. I'm dreading it. I just want winter to come.

Carnation
24-07-19, 19:08
I know exactly how you feel sedalia. Do you do anything to help the fear?

Terry, sorry I only just saw your reply.

Carys
24-07-19, 20:42
Funny ole thing, the differences in people isn't it. I ADORE big storms, especially those huge summer ones with the lightening right overhead and torrential rain. Last night from 1 onwards was incredible, continual flashing from fork and sheet lightening, HUGE thunder rolls, we all got up to watch - I find the forces of nature are so exciting. Anyway, that hasn't helped much has it, sorry, lol

MyNameIsTerry
25-07-19, 05:00
No worries, Carnation.

The thunder hit us around 2am but it was on of those drifting back & forth types. It was really hot last night and the rain will have done the garden good. It has at least gone a litle cooler tonight.

Sedalia - you have some things you can do to get through it? Maybe even with some headphones on to distract yourself if not?

Carnation
25-07-19, 11:14
That's the things I think of when the storm arrives Terry.
How much cooler and bearable it will be when it is over and how the garden desperately needs the water.
It's the lightening I fear and the noise of the thunder keeps me awake.
But I know longer jump out of the bed in the frenzy to look for a dark place to hide. I take precautions and unplug the tv and stay in my bed with a sheet over me to block out the lightening a little and keep repeating that it will be over soon. I'm still frightened and I probably always will be, but I'm trying to accept it as part of nature.