PDA

View Full Version : A late introduction

floralgypsy
07-08-04, 03:36
Hello, I have already asked a question in your forums and got a few replies for which I am very thankful, but I thought I would introduce myself when I saw this forum. My name is Charlotte and I am 20 from Oxford. I have always been of the 'worrying' variety and my earliest memory of such was when I was about 8 and I used to have to sleep in my parent's bed because I felt sure that they were going to die. I could be left on my own and hated going to school because I feared something would happen to them and I wanted to be near them 24/7. This was followed by years of generally feeling scared to try things and not fitting in much. I think one of the things that caused my anxiety was the fact that I lacked confidence and always believed that I didn't belong. I was fully grown in height by the time I had turned 15 (which is 5'10'') and felt as though I was literally a freak. I never went to the parties and preferred to be on my own a home because this was where I was safe. Then I was diagnosed with curvature of the spine at 15 (scoliosis) and once again I became concerned with how I looked and got very down. I still wasn't very outgoing at school and developed 'anorexic tendencies' because I basically felt scared and refused to eat.

Switching forward to now, I have had scoliosis surgery to stabilise my spine, I am generally happy with the way I look, but have, for the past few years, started to feel generally worried and anxious again. My main concern was how dizzy I felt. It was always in my mind that I had some kind of terminal disease that was killing me and I refused to do anything about it. I figured that if I avoided the doctors, then they couldn't tell me something that I didn't want to hear. The dizziness started to become more regular and I began avoiding situations just so that I didn't have to feel scared. I wouldn't go somewhere where I had felt dizzy before and avoided the social scene entirely.

Recently I have experienced panic attacks and have tried medication from the doctor such as 'Cipramil' and 'Propranolol'. I avoid doing things through fear of becoming dizzy and when I do, I work myself up into such a state that I get very shaky and just try and curl myself up and pretend that nothing is happening. I dislike leaving the house through fear of being dizzy and as a result, I am fearful nearly every day. I get dizzy occurences so often now, that it becomes a part of my daily routine. I think about it all day and try to prevent myself from doing things as a result.

I have written a letter to my GP but am afraid to post it. It is 03:34 in the morning because I can't sleep and all I want to do is be able to live a normal life and be happy.

Karen
07-08-04, 08:47
Hi floralgypsy

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find lots of helpful advice here.

It's horrible being unable to sleep isn't it? I too have that problem at the moment.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and welcome.

Take care,
Briary

Deb Izz
07-08-04, 11:35
Hi Charlotte,
Glad you have found this website, I have suffered panic attacks for 20 years but have only recently sort help and also found this site. It has been a great help to me and will offer you heaps of support and advice.
Take care

Deb x

paul1972
07-08-04, 13:50
Hi Charlotte,

I've taken Cipramil as well when I was depressed, and had similar symptoms, its not nice at all. Welcome to the site, we are all here to support each other, any time you need support :)

Paul xx

seh1980
07-08-04, 19:13
Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to the site!! It sounds like you are going through a tough time. I know exactly how you feel - it's horrible, isn't it? Just try to remember that you're not alone and there are lots opf people out there who have experinced very similar things. From my own experience, the one thing that I would say is that the worst thing you can do is avoid the horrible symptoms you are suffering from and keeping them to yourself. You said that you have written a letter to your GP - do try to send it and let him know how you are feeling!! That's the only way things will get better for you!!

Sarah (seh1980):D

nomorepanic
07-08-04, 19:28
Hi Floral

Welcome to the site.

The dizziness used to drive me mad! I used to feel it all the time and was convinced that I had a serious brain problem. It went with time but there was no magical cure - just over time as I got better it got less and less.

I know that this may sound hard to do but some light exercise may help the anxiety/panic symptoms and make you feel a bit better.

I hear that Jade has sent you a message cos she has scoliosis so that is good that you 2 can help each other out.

Has the doc said that the dizziness is all panic related or do you think that he needs to do more test - I saw a neurologist for example?

Hope you can get some help on here and feel better just by knowing that it is a common symptom and will go in time.

Nicola