PDA

View Full Version : Xanax vs vallium for claustrophobic fear of flying

emmalami
09-06-14, 19:46
What would u recommend for a flight from uk to Egypt? I am not scared of crashing but scared of not being able to get out and am scared will have a panic attack

Thanks

Mr.Jitters
09-06-14, 19:56
Xanax is generally difficult to get in the UK, at least in Wales, this medication is not available on the NHS and has a very short half life. Diazepam tends to be used more often as it has a longer half life (probably important if you're flying for several hours) and is less likely to cause dependency issues.

I'd speak to your doctor, but Valium usually sees me through difficult journeys without any problems.

emmalami
09-06-14, 21:24
What dosage did you take? I have taken it before but still felt very anxious when flying. Maybe I didn't take enough

aprilmoon
09-06-14, 21:28
Why don't you have word with your doc? They probably get quite a few people needing a bit of help with this.:)

Mr.Jitters
09-06-14, 21:32
Tbh, if I'm going into a very anxiety inducing situation, 2.5mg of diazepam is usually enough for me to cope very well. But flying is whole other matter. I take 2.5mg the night before, 5mg before I board the plane and keep another 5mg handy in case I absolutely need it.

I always need it. I HATE flying lol.

emmalami
09-06-14, 21:56
Are u claustrophobic or scared of crashing? Thanks for the advice :)

Mr.Jitters
09-06-14, 22:02
Claustrophobic and have a crazy fear of heights and travelling at speed. In fact, crashing is one thing I don't think about very much :/

emmalami
09-06-14, 22:12
Same here! Scared of heights aswell :(