PDA

View Full Version : Game of thrones and…anxiety help?

Jolly12
09-06-14, 20:21
I have been thinking a lot lately since last week's Game of Thrones episode about a line said by one of the actors. It went like this:

Lord Baelish had just pushed the mother of Robin Arryn out of the "Moon Door" (if you watch it, you know what I am talking about). The little boy Robin, probably about 13, looks at Lord Baelish and tells him that his mother told him that it isn't safe outside and that he hasn't ever been allowed to leave the castle. He questions how he could fulfill the position of Lord of the Vale.
Lord Baelish looks at Robin, and says, "It wasn't safe for her inside. People die at their dinner tables, they die in their beds, the die squatting over their chamber pots, everybody dies sooner or later. Don't worry about your death, worry about your life. Take charge of your life for as long as it lasts. That is what it means to be Lord of the Vale."

I could get into the background of Game of Thrones, the sometimes depressing and shocking scenes as well as the moral character of the series' author, but lets not. ;-)

Lord Baelish's words are not new, he didn't offer a fresh idea, but one that we have heard time and time again. Ecclesiastes 8:15, ‘Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry’, and Isaiah 22:13, ‘Let us eat and drink; for to morrow we shall die.’ Let us not forget these either:

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the present.”
Joan Rivers

“Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely”
Kay Lyons

There have been variations of this idea or phrase for years, but I have been thinking of the GOT reference a lot lately, probably because a main character dies by the week in that show. They really don't have much of a long future to look to - ha seriously. But it gives comfort because as cliche as the phrase may have become or how many times it has been repeated, it stays true. People die, all the time, every where and in all sorts of situations. We have to take charge of our lives while they last. Let us not waste them worrying about what could be or may be. What have you done today that you are proud of?

kivyt73
10-06-14, 00:03
Love this, and I love the show. I remember the scene but didn't notice the relevant advice to anxiety sufferers.

Great post :)