PDA

View Full Version : My very specific HA (Melanoma) is back.

Taucher
10-06-14, 09:56
I am a 35 year old male. I have always been pro active with my health (I would go to the doctors and show them my willy without a second thought if I thought there was a compelling (medical!) reason to do so). But I had never had HA until last year.

I am very fair skinned. In fact, I have the eye condition called Nystagmus which is typical for albinos to have. However, people always think I am scandinavian (I'm not). I have quite a few moles. Last summer, one of them started bleeding. This made me anxious and on a Saturday morning I went to a drop in health centre to get my bleeding mole checked.

The nurse welcomed me in, said she didn't know much about skin cancer, googled 'bleeding mole' (I saw her do this) and then said "it looks like skin cancer! I will give you an emergency 2 week referral to a dermatologist." Well, I freaked out at this. Sweaty nights where I would sleep for 3 or 4 hours only, moaning in my sleep, shaking, everything. My wife was totally shocked by the change in me.

I saw 3 doctors in the 2 weeks before my derm appointment. They said that my bleeding mole was completely benign. They looked at my other moles and said they were completely benign too.

I went to my derm appointment. I was seen there by a nurse and a consultant. Both looked at all my moles and both dismissed my concerns and made me feel silly. I got the all clear for my moles but they took a picture of one which they said "might" be mildly atypical. I was left to go on my way. I asked if I could come back every year, they said no, the best person to monitor my moles is me.

2 weeks ago, i had a tiny new mole in between 2 fingers. I booked an appointment at my new doctors (I have since moved city). My lovely new doctor looked at my new mole and said she doesnt think it is a mole but that she thinks I am suffering from anxiety. She referred me to a psychologist to treat my anxiety (first appointment next week).

So, over the weekend I let my head get a little bit burnt (very unusual for me) so yesterday I asked my wife to go through my scalp and see if I have any moles. I do, I have 2 slightly raised, hard moles on the top of my head. The dermatologists didnt see these last year. SO last night I slept for 3-4 hours, delirious, felt sick, shaking, and my wife is really upset by it. I felt like I was going mad.

I booked an appointment at 12:30 today to see my lovely doctor again. I feel stupid but also convinced I have SC. I feel...weird.

Sorry for the length of this and thank you for reading.

p.s. is it normal to have HA with just one disease? A lot of people seem to worry about lots of things. I dont care at all about other cancers, heart attack, anything.

RoseEve
10-06-14, 10:42
A lot if us worry about skin cancer or anything else that's easy to check constantly. Ask the doctor today and then stop checking. I only allow myself to check my body before I go to the doctor for a check up.