PDA

View Full Version : Beta blocker fears health anxiety

Helencollins
11-06-14, 00:46
Hi there,

Been great reading all your posts and knowing I'm not alone. I developed health anxiety a while ago and it's literally changed my life for the worse, I can't enjoy social events anymore without at least a few moments that I think I am dying,.

My problem is 2 fold...I can identify a lot of my symptoms as health anxiety but I also have GENUINE reasons for fears, I had a hospital admission about 7 years ago (way before I worried about anything!) for a posterial nose bleed, linked to high blood pressure, I am very overweight and drink and smoke....so yeah feel like a stroke waiting to happen! I have tried to make changes but since this anxiety took over my life a year ago these things are harder to give up as they relieve the tension!!

My new gp has been great but despite showing him a weeks worth of scarily high BP results he is convinced it's anxiety related (I have developed a phobia or doctors and being hospitalised and physically shake in his office but these readings were taken at home when calm) he insists that you are never truly calm when suffering from anxiety and is very reluctant to prescribe front line bp meds (after the hospital incident my bp at my surgery a few days later was perfect) but my ankles swell after sitting down all day, go down overnight and not at all at weekends. I told him this and he said it's water retention and nothing to worry about, probably related to the extra weight I'm carrying, and didn't prescribe a diuretic! I have convinced myself I have heart failure. I had a full battery of tests including an ECG liver and kidney function last year and All came back fine, but I do get breathless climbing stairs (another phobia I now have) but could just be normal because I'm out of shape...

Anyway, he said propananol 80mg slow release will help bp
And anxiety, I've had them for a week and too scared to take them. What if my bp is normal when I'm
Not anxious and I send my heart rate too low? Also for my mind a couple of glasses of wine a night has become something I need, please no judgement I know that's not healthy but will I be okay to keep doing that?

Just wondered do you think I should take these and if they will help?

It was interesting at the surgery, I wanted bp meds which he refused, he offered anti anxiety meds which i refused and we ended up on the propanalol 80mg. I am 32 by the way

Fishmanpa
11-06-14, 01:05
A beta blocker, while it does have BP lowering aspects, is more a limiter in that it puts a ceiling on how hard your heart will work. I have heart issues and take one 2x a day. I have no side effects other than feeling a little winded after exerting myself too much. The point of a beta blocker with an anxiety patient is to help prevent a situation where your heart is beating out of your chest due to panic, stress etc. It's proven to be effective for many.

No judgement, but please consider the common sense approach of abstaining from alcohol and tobacco, taking care of your physical self with proper nutrition and exercise and seeking treatment for your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Mr.Jitters
11-06-14, 01:52
Exactly as Fishmanpa said, beta-blockers aren't going to cause you any harm as far as your heart rate dropping too low - and will certainly help with stabilising it, and your blood pressure.

Your GP is right with regards to the effect of anxiety on blood pressure - during a setback my BP is consistently high for weeks until I start to feel better. As for diuretics, there are far better ways to address fluid retention through diet, exercise and supplements. Dandelion tea or hawthorn extract works like a charm for my sister, and doesn't have any of the side effects of prescription diuretics :)

You say you know drinking isn't healthy, and it's really not. That said, I have 2-3 drinks a week while on beta-blockers. Most information sources point towards discussing alcohol and beta-blockers with your doctor, which is obviously recommended. I've found that I feel a little drunker, sooner, while taking them.

I'm curious as to why you refused anxiety medication, is that something you'd be comfortable to talk about? Do you have any other plans or treatments in place, such as self help, CBT or talking therapy so far?

Catherine S
11-06-14, 11:14
Hi Helen,

I take propranolol and was origionally given them for a combination of high bp and migraines, although the migraines have subsided since taking them thankfully. I was origionally given 80mgs slow release too, but now after 5 years on them I prefer the 2x20mgs I take these days, it suits my system better taking it this way but we are all different and what is an ideal dose for some may not be for others.

I will say though, that alot of my high bp was through a combination of lack of exercise and drinking too much each evening, and since ive stopped drinking so much ive noticed how much easier it is to move around and love going for my walks these days too. When I was drinking every evening i'd wake up feeling like crap and had no energy to do much...everything was an effort and I would get breathless even after just a little exhertion, and stairs were definately my enemy! Its always hard to admit to drinking unhealthily, and its very easy to get onto that merry-go-round and hard to get off it. I didn't only drink wine I also had a taste for spirits and would drink every evening to help me relax and even though it helped me to sleep, the sleep wasn't refreshing and i'd often wake up after a few hours with a pounding heart...and head! Something had to give and when my doctor told me my liver counts were becoming high I had a few words with myself and stopped the drinking. It wasn't easy but I found alternatives to drink as its more to do with breaking a habit rather than an addiction. I fretted that I wouldn't be able to sleep but surprisingly I did ok. I was realistic about sleep, some nights it comes easily and others not, just like people who don't drink at all so I accept that as normal. These days I don't drink alcohol at home at all, but I do enjoy a few drinks if we go for an evening out, then I go home and have a cuppa before bed....both tea and coffee are decaff for me too. Not drinking every night has helped my bp to come right down and I no longer have to pump myself full of painkillers to get over a hangover...something else that can affect liver counts too by the way.

I still take the propranolol because it helps with the heart flutters and missed beats that have plagued me most of my adult life...nothing serious but very uncomfortable as alot of members will testify to. They do slow your system down which is a good thing for an anxious person, but even at 80mgs it would never slow down that much to produce heart failure...have you been reading the side effects on the info paper that comes with them by any chance, if so stop lol! You'd have to be on a huge amount for that to happen if it ever did, and they can prescribe much more than 80mgs believe me. So I would say try them, don't be scared of them and see how you get on...the worst thing is that they don't do much of anything for you, but they may just help you get back on track with the anxiety, then you can maybe tackle the drinking issue. Small steps and you will get there :)

ISB x

Forgot to say...scary bp was anything up to 180 over 110 even on 80mgs propranolol, and since not drinking, bp now around 138 over 79 average on most days of the week. It can be as low as 120 over 75 sometimes which for me at 60yrs old and post menopause is fab!

Helencollins
11-06-14, 13:46
Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I'm at home alone today and feeling quite relaxed, I tend to be more panicky at work. Do you think I should take my first one? Or should I wait until there's someone around in case I have a bad reaction? Feel like I keep making excuses to start though!

edwardthebear
11-06-14, 14:40
Propanolol has been around for a long time and compared to some drugs has few side effects. I am not on it personally but I know some people who have said positive things about it both for anxiety and high blood pressure. You are probably doing yourself much more damage with the drinking and smoking than you ever would be taking these, but then again I am sure you know that already yourself ! Good luck.

Mr.Jitters
11-06-14, 14:46
Delaying taking them is going to perpetuate anxiety, don't you think? If you're anxious about effects, keep your phone with you. Get your local pharmacy's number, your GP surgery number, and a think of a friend you can just talk to to distract yourself if necessary.

Helencollins
11-06-14, 17:05
Thanks all, I will take my first one soon and then just try and forget about it for a few hours and see how I feel. Appreciate the advice. Anymore from anyone else is welcome :-)

Catherine S
11-06-14, 19:40
How did it go Helen, are you feeling ok?

3tikes
11-06-14, 19:45
Hi,
I take 80mg of propanolol and i have to say it works a treat. I was initially prescribed 40mg daily for a simple tremor i have but the dose was increased for anxiety. I only take it as and when required. Sometimes i feel a bit shaky due to anxiety and i can feel my pulse racing or experiencing palpitations so i take one and it takes away the symptoms.
I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever and i strongly advise on giving them a go x

Helencollins
11-06-14, 20:04
That's encouraging, seems it's well worth giving them a try.

Thanks for asking how I'm doing. - my boyfriend and I have agreed to take the first one on Saturday as then I have 2 days to try and get used to them as if I take one tomorrow and freak out I can't afford any more time off work, I have had to go home due to anxiety a coup
Of times and they weren't impressed :-( so Saturday it is.

I Definately want to stop using alchohol as frequently and have already cut down a fair bit, but need some breathing space to tackle replacing the habit without my anxiety overwhelming me

Catherine S
11-06-14, 20:11
Taking a new med is always a bit of a nightmare and I felt the same when they were first prescribed, so taking it at the weekend is a good idea to ease your anxiety about them. And well done cutting down the alcohol too. Small steps.

ISB x