PDA

View Full Version : Severe Jaw Pain - So Worried :(

ariel88
12-06-14, 12:50
Hi,

Basically I have an extreme phobia of the dentist, I went recently and was told I need to have a tooth removed one of my first molars on the top. I booked the appointment and on the day I had to cancel because I felt like I was having a continual panic attack for the whole morning. They are now referring me to be sedated to have the tooth removed.

So recently I have been suffering with the worst anxiety I have ever had used to be once every couple of weeks but now its everyday and on top of that I now have this really achy pain in the corner of my bottom jaw, ear and one side of my neck. This is the same side as the tooth but about 2 inches away.

Im freaking out because I'm worried the pain is caused by the tooth even tho the tooth is not hurting. I have to wait to be sedated as I can't even get in the dentist chair if I think he's going to do work on my mouth. I'm panicking that I'm going to end up with blood poisoning or a brain abscess or something worse/

Could the jaw pain be to do with anxiety? or the tooth? What symptoms should I look out for to tell whether I'm in danger? I have stupidly googled this even though I know this is the worst thing to do and now I'm stressing out.

I have no fever and no other symptoms just constant anxiety and this awful pain.

akh92
12-06-14, 15:18
The pain could either be caused by the tooth or from possible anxiety.. It coud even be cause by grinding your teeth or chewing something wrong. I highly doubt it's anything bad. Just trust that your dentist won't put you in danger, hes there to help. I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled a couple months ago and was put to sleep. I was having horrible anxiety as well, but afterwards I realized I was panicking for no reason. Just try to relax, and if it makes you feel better, give the dentist a call and let him know whats going on. :)

Panic emily
13-06-14, 04:36
Good that you are going to be going to get it out soon! I've been under many times before for my teeth and it happens so darn quick and ends so fast you will be upset that you worried this much! I am going to assume this onset of jaw pain could be anxiety related due to added anxiety you may be focusing all your attention to your mouth which is causing it to feel tense and clench(cause of pain in jaw) even if this indeed is because of your tooth the signs to look for in a infection that has travelled to other places are usually high fever and possibly a head ache but If you are worried about this contact your dentist but I am almost certain the pain is anxiety related!

Hoe you feel better soon !