PDA

View Full Version : Sublingual glands? Can you feel them?

eevee
12-06-14, 19:37
For as long as I can remember (at least I think so I never really checked before my Ha started), I could feel a rounded ball just under my tongue near the front of the mouth.

I googled a diagram and seems like it's the sublingual gland.

Is that even normal to be able to feel that with your tongue? I'm not talking about feeling it from my neck (outside) :/

Please I'd love to hear from you!

Fishmanpa
12-06-14, 19:45
What was the result of the oral surgeon visit? I'm sure he would have done a thorough exam.

To my knowledge, you typically can't feel the sublinguals unless they're swollen due to an infection.

Positive thoughts

eevee
12-06-14, 19:50
Hi Fishmanpa. I'm not sure he did as thorough exam as I would've liked. He did say that it wasn't a leukoplakia though the spot I have. He checked my mouth (mostly gums and cheeks) but not so much of the tongue.

This gland I mentioned doesn't look swollen, no pain either, I just can feel it.

I want to cry now.

I have to come back anyway cos I think I found a ranula on one side of the underside of my tongue. It doesn't appear swollen if I don't move my tongue a certain way so it's understandable why he missed it.

I'm so scared.

I even stick my finger under my tongue to feel up the gland and it's soft and squishy. Meaty. So not really hard. It FEELS like it's supposed to be there but I really don't know. It looks fine from outside too.

Fishmanpa
12-06-14, 19:55
I'm sure he would have noticed something out of sorts. I don't know how you can feel them to be honest as they're buried under your tongue :shrug:
Dr Google is not a good way to discern where they are or how you feel them.

Write down your fears and explain them on the next visit. Nothing is going to happen between now and then.

Positive thoughts

eevee
12-06-14, 20:04
Is it possible that it's my tongue that I'm feeling? I'm not 100% sure it's the glands to be honest. I mean. The tongue must have gone somewhere right.

It's just from the diagram the glands look to be right under the floor of the mouth.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

This sublingual glands.. If one can feel them from the neck, where would they be? Maybe it can help me tell the location for sure.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Sorry for so many questions, it's 2 am and I'm stressing out over this :(