PDA

View Full Version : Lipoma worry...anyone had similar experience??

Xanderboo
13-06-14, 08:58
Hi all - just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar thing...after doing well with HA for a while, but this week I discovered a lump in my side/back, just under right rib cage. It's not really visible but you can feel it. Feels like a hard and slightly tender lump, about the size of an apricot or something. It doesn't move around under skin, feels like it's pretty solid. Of course went into panic mode, straight to Dr's, who said, "oh, it's a lipoma, nothing to worry about" and that was that. Felt reassured for 24 hours bur now starting to worry...how do they know it's a lipoma from just feeling it?!?! How do they know it's not cancerous? Surely they can only be sure if a biopsy is done? I'm sure this wasn't there 3 months ago. Anyone had similar experience? I'd be interested to know. Thanks in advance. X

robin321
13-06-14, 12:07
They know from how it feels, location, etc... I also have one on my ankle. it has been there for 5 yrs now.

Fishmanpa
13-06-14, 13:03
Got one in my lower back. It's been there for over ten years. Harmless ball of fat under the skin.

Positive thoughts

Xanderboo
13-06-14, 18:58
Thanks both. Just concerned because it feels so deep and sort of attached to rib but as it's my little girls birthday today, trying to focus on that and not panic. Going to seek a second opinion next week. Thankyou for your replies. X

Mogwog
13-06-14, 19:55
Got one in my leg. Hubbie has about 5 in different places .xxxx

Fishmanpa
13-06-14, 20:01
Going to seek a second opinion next week.

A second opinion on a lump of fat? They're harmless. If it causes discomfort then deal with it. They're totally normal and many people have more than one.

Positive thoughts

Mogwog
13-06-14, 20:04
Agree with fishmanpa - they really are harmless,only a problem if they become really big and/or painful and that's only because of the discomfort they may cause. You're ok.xxx

Xanderboo
13-06-14, 21:07
Ok thanks everyone. Much appreciated everyone, thankyou. And yes, I will get a second opinion because it's so deep that I'm finding it hard to accept that is located "just under the skin"; and, its always best to check with a GP whom you trust. :-) thanks again for replying. X

eevee
14-06-14, 17:59
I had a HORRIBLE scare over this a few months ago. I found a lump on my inner thigh last year and I didn't have HA then so I just ignored it. Fast forward 8 months later, my HA came full force and I started to wonder what that was. Went to see my usual GP, she touched it and immediately said it's nothing to worry about - fat. Unconvinced I went to see my dermatologist who wasn't sure what that was. She thought it could be a node, but if it's a node then it's reactive cos it's soft and moving. She wanted to give me a course of antibiotics before sending me for an ultrasound. I couldn't wait that long so I immediately asked for an u/s. It came back as a lipoma, not a node. The ultrasound dude also said it's nothing.

I think doctors know these things, and you can always ask for an u/s if you're not sure.

On another note. "I Just ignored it". I seem to remember how wonderful that was! I hope I can come back being like that.

Xanderboo
14-06-14, 19:20
Wow eevee - wish I could have that attitude - lol!!! Part of me is exhausted by all the HA worry and thinks I'll try not to worry; but always in the background is the "what if's"? I'm going to follow it up with a second gp but really really try not to let the worry get out if hand. Part of that is accepting what the gp says ;-) x thanks for your messages

Xanderboo
18-06-14, 12:29
An update: saw second trusted Gp about the lump - she says she removes lipoma all the time and this is not a lipoma... It's my RIB!!!!!!!! So a week of worry due to an incorrect and in my opinion slightly flippant diagnosis from previous GP. How ridiculous did I feel!!!