PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobic feeling sick all the time :/

pineapples
13-06-14, 14:48
Hi guys i'm new here! I joined this site so I could hopefully relate to you guys!
Most people think my phobia is ridiculous!

Well it all started when I got Norovirus in February. I hadn't v* for years I thought that i never would, but I did. I was really scared, I was panicking, shaking and I literally had goosebumps.

Then after that experience, I carried on living normally until as I was about to go on a bus to meet up with my friend, I had a flashback about the time when I did v*. I was thinking to myself, I hope I don't do it but then on that bus ride I felt really nauseous and eventually, panicked so much that I actually went off the bus and walked all the way back home.

Ever since, I have been feeling nauseous all the time, getting really scared whether i'm going to v* or not.

The nauseous feeling is also accompanied by a stomach ache, which can be quite crampy and very bothersome..

My parent says that its all in my head which I do agree with, but I don't know how to stop it. But they are starting to think i'm a HUGE drama queen.

I have had this for 6-7 weeks and its really tearing me apart

I've been eating less which is really bothering me.

I always try to tell myself that "I haven't done it during the 6-7 week so why would I do it now" but honestly I really do feel im gonna do it at times. I also try to tell myself that "its okay to do it and that it wont hurt me" but it just doesn't help.

I used to think that my brain was part of my team, not trying to go against me.

I really just don't know what to do and I really hate feeling so depressed at quite a young age. :weep:

I really don't know what to do. I don't want to take medication, but I do really want to get rid of this.

Please help and sorry for this big rant, but i usually am quite a bright person, but this is really slacking me down and making me close things off.

SammiJay
18-06-14, 01:08
Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I have been emetophobic for 25 years.

I too get frustrated by the cycle. I worry about it and then the anxiety kicks in which makes me feel bad and then I convince myself that it is going to happen. My body and brain seem to conspire against me.

I have had years of respite, when I have been fine and even coped with it really happening. I suffer with depression and anxiety and it seems that if I am suffering with those then my phobia kicks back in.

I tried hypnotherapy, which helped me a lot during a really bad time. I am considering going back for more sessions I found it to be the most helpful.

CBT can be helpful if you find the right therapist.

I am back on medication for my depression and anxiety, which when under control usually helps with my phobia. Don't be put off with the side effects. Yes they can make you feel nauseous, but we are so used to feeling nauseous all the time anyway. It doesn't last long, they may make you feel more panicky at first, but they do work. Pills and therapy combined are very helpful.

I never thought I would ever have children because of the risk of morning s* and labour, but during a period of feeling good I got pregnant and had my daughter. I wasn't bothered about the side effects and even coped with an emergency C Section. In fact I had no side effects. I put that down to years of feeling nauseous anyway and being totally used to it.

I hope I have been of some help to you. I know how you are feeling right now, because I have had a bit of a relapse and I am in the same boat. I know I can get better and I have every faith that you will too. I don't think we will ever really be ok with it, but we will be able to cope with it.