PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here who has GI issues which turned out nothing serious?

skyisblue
13-06-14, 15:34
For the past 5 months, I've been having on and off digestive issues like bloating, excessive burping, gnawing pains after a few hours of eating, and sour stomach.

Took omeprazole for a while and got better although it took me a loooong time to feel the effects.

I was on vacation for 2 months and it that time period, I felt really relaxed and strangely, the digestive issue subsided by 95%. Wow.

Right now, I am back to my worrying self, but the gnawing pains are usually gone. But there are times when I eat, I BUUUUUUUURP a lot and sometimes my tummy feels full after eating.

The burping and bloating usually subsides after a few hours.

Doctors said it could be acidity. Or gastritis.

I am scared that this might turn out as the big C :( I am only 23 years old :(

Anybody here who had digestive issues in a long time that turned out to be nothing really serious?

Kirbear4
15-06-14, 21:45
I feel your pain!! I've had GI problems ever since I gave birth 3.5 years ago. Started badly with IBS, all tests were clear. Since October last year I've had horrible bloating sensations that make me really nauseous, occasional burning, pain under ribs, left sided tummy pain and the worst pain is when my whole tummy area feels like it's stretching! Such bizarre and worrying feelings. I too have been on Omeprazole for a while, some days they don't help at all. I've been tempted to go back and ask for more tests but dr has but it down to anxiety. I think if it was the 'c' we would be pretty ill by now. I am also a lot better when I am away on holiday.

Neon
15-06-14, 22:00
I'm currently being treated for gastritis and possible stomach ulcer. You sound just like me and I'm confident it's nothing serious if that's any reassurance. It's unpleasant and annoying but that's it. I think it's prolonged gastritis and untreated ulcers that cause cancer because the irritation damages the stomach and that's when you get abnormal tissue, so the fact you get better and/or treat it is GOOD and helps prevent anything developing. My husband has a heriditary issue with heart burn and is on lanzoprazole for life (Ppi) but has a good prognosis because he treats it. I think you're well within safety limits :)

Meglen
15-06-14, 22:10
I have suffered on and off from GI issues the past 3 years. They seem to get worse when I have higher than normal anxiety. Doctors have said that when I am more anxious I produce more acid which come up and burns my esophagus. I also have been on Prilosec, just ended to this week as the side effects bothered me but Protonix did work wonders for me last year. I also had a scope done last year, no problems... Just bad reflux from my anxiety. I think most of us with HA have GI issues and they tend to flare up worse when we are having more frequent "moments". Best of luck to you:)

skyisblue
16-06-14, 03:26
Thank you very much kirbear, neon, meglen for the reassuring replies.

I guess all of us had our fair share of gastro issues.

Strangely, yesterday was almost perfect. Had a very nice day with barely any stomach issues.

Right now I had breakfast and I am burping nonstop. My tummy feels stretched a bit, too. Buuurp.

I am thinking of getting an endoscopy this year to put everything to rest. I am scared though that they might find something really bad. :(

I don't have nausea or any acid rising to my throat. Just this yucky burping and fullness. And sometimes stomach gnawing that seems to be decreasing.

Sigh. Can I purchase omeprazole without doctor's prescription?

GingerFish
16-06-14, 13:55
I've had GI problems for years now. When I was 16, docs suspected I had Crohn's Disease as it runs in my family. I was losing weight, had constant diarrhea or constipation - was never just a normal stool, sometimes had blood in my stool, was always feeling sick, bloating, abdominal pain etc. After blood tests, MRI scan and a colonscopy, they found absolutely nothing wrong with any part of my gut and but it down to IBS aggravated by stress and anxiety. 6 years on I still have the same symptoms but less severe now, probably because my anxiety lessened when I discovered there was nothing seriously wrong with me but I still have anxiety therefore I still get some of the GI symptoms still.

miggymoggy
16-06-14, 18:08
Yep, I had really bad GI problems, the gnawing feeling, lots of acid, funny taste in mouth, couldn't eat, lost nearly 2 stone in weight, burning pains, stabbing pains, gripes and cramps, was convinced I had the big C.
Got referred to gastro, they didn't think it was anything to worry about but I insisted on camera down throat into stomach. I was sobbing and saying I thought I had stomach cancer.
Turned out to be gastritis and nothing more sinister!
The weight loss was due to anxiety!!

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Oh and whilst I was under sedation the consultant did an ultrasound and checked my pancreas and gallbladder too as I was worried about those too. All clear!

skyisblue
23-06-14, 09:05
Thank you ginger and miggy.

The past 2 days have been decently great. I feel like I am almost back to my old self though I wouldn't want to speak too soon.

Is it normal to feel some small oompfs in the tummy? Like the ones that last a second or so? Lol I have an obsession that my stomach should be sensation-less 100% to feel all right.

spacebunnyx
23-06-14, 18:02
i'm another one.. I've had GI issues for years and have nothing wrong except for mild gastritis! goes hand in hand with anxiety.

xxx

Littlemisssunshine10
23-06-14, 22:44
I'm 23, I have exactly the same and took umprezole . Had an endoscopy and
Umprezole It is just gastris . Are u still taking it or stopped? The more u worry the more acid can increase in your tummy. I know easier said than done but I think our tummys are super sensitive and once they been hurt a little and they are sore takes a little while to get back to normal. Just don't have any crazy food and try not to drink too much fizzy and acid food or drinks let
It heal! Email if u need any advice xxx

skyisblue
02-07-14, 10:21
Thank you spacebunny and miss sunshine.

I am glad that yours turned out nothing serious, too. I've been feeling really better for the past weeks but i still sometimes get some weird sensations in my tummy although nothing as bad as before. How are you holding up?

cjemc
02-07-14, 11:40
Yep, I had really bad GI problems, the gnawing feeling, lots of acid, funny taste in mouth, couldn't eat, lost nearly 2 stone in weight, burning pains, stabbing pains, gripes and cramps, was convinced I had the big C.
Got referred to gastro, they didn't think it was anything to worry about but I insisted on camera down throat into stomach. I was sobbing and saying I thought I had stomach cancer.
Turned out to be gastritis and nothing more sinister!
The weight loss was due to anxiety!!

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Oh and whilst I was under sedation the consultant did an ultrasound and checked my pancreas and gallbladder too as I was worried about those too. All clear!

How did they treat your gastritis?

claireypoo
17-07-14, 12:29
I am praying that mine are nothing serious. My GP scared me by saying I should have the scheduled endoscopy tomorrow. I am absolutely terrified, both of the test and what the results might say.

JaneS
17-07-14, 17:58
I am the same - have suffered with digestive disorders on and off for years. Had all tests which came back clear but still suffer and still worry that they missed something and that I should repeat all the tests!! Doc now put me on Citalopram and that seems to be giving me tummy cramps now! Hubbie says its all IBS due to anxiety and he is probably right but us anxiety sufferers just cant let it go can we!

claireypoo
17-07-14, 18:36
*hugs*

Dolphin8808
17-07-14, 18:46
I have had the same issues before, many times. You know anxiety is related to serotonin. Serotonin is also in the digestive track (something like 80%), hence why when we have panic or anxiety, we are often having stomach upset and running to the the rest room. Makes sense right?

Also makes sense why when you are relaxed you do not notice as many issues. The brain to gut connection is HUGE. Its also part of the fight or flight... TMI I am sure, but its thought that the bowels empty when in panic to act as a distraction from the thing we are running from. So back in caveman days, a big ol Tiger comes at you, you fight or flight kicks in, and you book out of there right? At times of high fear, the bowels empty to distract that "tiger" from chasing you.

Kind of makes sense right?

Regardless, the mind body connection is huge so its no wonder you are feeling it in your gut, I often feel mine there too.

claireypoo
17-07-14, 20:26
I wish my brain would tell my gut to chill! Xxxx

Littlemisssunshine10
17-07-14, 22:27
I am still battling stomach problems, acid reflux, burps, burning sensation pains and nausea but my doctor said people with anxiety it's worse for and there maybe food or drink that make it worse so I cut out caffeine so decaf tea only, bread and trying to stop as much fizzy but I love it and Ido feel busy apart from if I had too many y takeaway or eaten u healthy makes it hurt. But it's not as bad
Now as I'm ontomy next work. Typical! Hope your okay. This all started for me in may and my doctor has got me taking 2 umprezole aday until November and when it's really bad gaviscon too. Also never let yourself have an empty tummy it is the worst got gastritis xx

GadGirl
18-07-14, 09:32
Just a little message to say i suffered from all of that and the IBS, I have totally cut wheat and gluten from my diet ad drink bcaa and glutamine supplement powder which has helped me so much im symptom free from all of that after years :D