PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Lymph Node - Behind Ear

Optimusprime
13-06-14, 17:35
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum - so HEY! Basically, I discovered a swollen lymph node behind my ear about 3 weeks ago. The lymph node was not that large and at that time I only felt a tad run down. A few days later I was struck down with a fever, a sore head, throat, ears - the whole thing!

I can't get it checked out because I'm from the UK and have no insurance. I'm just a huge worrier and cannot stop touching it. I am now feeling back to full health and I have noticed the lymph node is now gettin smaller and softer/tissuer.

I just want reassurance that this is normal. It has no pain and I can move it with my fingers. I've never noticed it before but I very rarely feel behind my ears haha. I'm a 20 year old male who can't stop worrying!
When will it go away?!
Thanks!!

Panic emily
13-06-14, 17:58
Hello! I too am one who constantly checks my lymph nodes 24/7 so much so that I actually irritate it that it becomes a litte tender and swollen. I have a cold right now and my symptoms are generally the same, except I have no fever. When we get sick your lymph nodes generally may swell normal size is about the size of a pee. Here's when to get it checked out.. When your fever reaches above 102 and does not go down with the help of medication, or when you have had the fever for longer then 4 days. At this point if your symptoms are not anxiety related, which some of the ones you names of very well could be I would just wait it it out because it sounds like you may just have a minor bug (but I am no doctor) also if your lymph nodes swell to the point of a grape then I would certainly get it checked out. For now I really don't think it's anything to worry about.

Optimusprime
13-06-14, 18:01
I was ill for about 2 days! Totally fine now and it has went down in size and it wasn't huge to begin with. It's down to about the size of a grain of rice!

They really are annoying! Do you know how long they take to go down?

Fishmanpa
13-06-14, 18:31
Of course, no one here is a doctor. That being said, it sounds like a normal reactive node doing what nodes are supposed to do. Having one the size of a grain of sand is truly nothing notable and it may end up just being that way. Keep in mind, nodes don't react well to poking and prodding and you may be preventing it from going back to normal (although a rice size node is totally normal).

Positive thoughts

Panic emily
13-06-14, 18:31
If indeed they are the size of a grain of rice that's actually a tad smaller then there normal size which is indeed pea size so I would say that they have probably already gone back down to normal :) that's what my doctor told me anyway (and google) so I'm going to say that you are going to be okay, and the size of a grain of rice is perfect. My only recommendation now is to leave the little guys to prevent them from getting irritated! :)