PDA

View Full Version : leukemia fears

arnaudlambert
13-06-14, 18:26
Hey all im new to this forum and have decided to join due to my current and ongoing fear that i may have leukemia.

I have been suffering from health anxiety for the best part of 5 years (i am 20 now), and since of the start of this year i have been consumed by fears of cancer. For the last 3 months or so it has been leukemia, and has in recent weeks become unbearable and terrifying. These are symptoms i have been concerned about:

-It began when i got back from a snowboarding holiday and noticed multiple bruises on each of my lower legs, however they soon faded after a few weeks and other than the occasional bruise since then i have not really been worried about them.
- After learning that bruises were associated with leukemia after a google search, this sparked further fear after i realised that my gums had began recently began bleeding when i brush them (though im pretty sure that its due to gum disease since it only happens around one tooth which seems to have alot more plaque than the others)
- I managed to calm my fears for a few weeks, which coincided with the end of my university exams, where i went out drinking heavily for a week or so which involved living on junk food and sleeping poorly. However, shortly after, when i was walking home one night i noticed a pain in my shins. I didnt think much of it, then the next day i went on google and realised that bone/joint pain is also symptom of leukemia. As the pain persisted i went into a fullblown anxiety attack which lasted about a week before i went to the doctor, who sent me away and reassured me it wasnt being caused my leukemia and to come back in a couple of weeks if the pains persist.
-Since then i have been less anxious (though i am still noticing leg aches and pains though not as severely or frequently), except for today were i did some more research and found out that eye floaters, which i have been experiencing for many years, can in very rare cases be caused by leukemia. I wouldnt be too worried about this apart from the fact that i swear they have gotten worse lately!

As a result of this i have been very depressed and cant let go of this fear. I feel like the only way i can completely put my mind at rest is to get a blood test although im terrified that the results might confirm my fears. :/

nomorepanic
13-06-14, 19:04
Get the blood test and I am pretty sure it will confirm you don't have it to be honest.

arnaudlambert
13-06-14, 21:13
yeh i think as the doctor said, if im still worried in a week or so (i only went on monday) i will go back and discuss about getting a blood test. Feel like ive been here before and everytime i see a doctor they never see any reason to give me one (the last one i had was about a year ago). :S