PDA

View Full Version : New to the board...please help

Stressed Eric
13-12-06, 18:58
Hey folks, I've been reading some of the posts and it is really reassuring to see that other people suffer from similar symptoms and share the same concerns regarding their health.

I was diagnosed as suffering from a GAD approximately 4 years ago but with hindsight I think there has been an underlying problem for some time before that. I had 12 months of quite intensive cognitive behavioural therapy. Incidentally my immediate family (mother, sister, grandmother, aunty and cousin) also have a history of depression and anxiety though I have come from an extremely warm and loving family.

Recently my anxiety has gone in to overdrive and I'm finding it difficult to keep things together. I have made many incredibly stupid mistakes in the past and am constantly worried that I am going to suffer as a direct result of the choices I have made. It is a constant feeling of dread.

One of my major worries is HIV and the possibility of me already contracting it. I am a young (mid 20's) straight male and I am not proud to say that I have had multiple partners and many more casual intimate relations. I was brought up when HIV/AIDS was recently discovered and the first media campaigns to increase awareness were being shown on TV, newspapers etc. I have discussed this with my GP for years but never had the bottle to have a test. In the most part I have only ever had protected penetrative sex unless I was with a long term partner, though I am still extremely worried that I may have the disease and have passed it to subsequent partners.

Physical symptoms that I most frequently suffer from are palpitations, tight and croaky throat (constantly feeling my glands to check for swollenness) and tiredness. Other symptoms include insomnia, tingles in the little finger of my left hand and frequent visits to the bathroom.

I have gone significant research on HIV and the symptoms and convinced myself I have it and the guilt I feel for maybe passing it on is unbearable. I can’t concentrate on anything and feel depressed, so much so that people close to me are starting to notice something is not right.

I finally bit the bullet and went to my Drs this week to have a HIV test and I have to wait 2 weeks for my results which means I will have them just a few days before xmas. Since the test the symptoms which I am associating with the disease have got worse and I am finding it really hard to cope.

Can someone please help me get through this???? I can't talk to anyone about how I feel as I know I will be judged.

Thank you.

Stressed Eric x
:(

tnt808
13-12-06, 19:38
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the site.

I think you did a very brave thing getting tested, and also it was probably the right thing. I do think and this is just my opinion that the symptoms getting worse since the test may be because of heightened anxiety. You are worried about the results and so anxiety has increased. I wish you the best and keep us updated!

"Be The Change You Want To See In The World"...

Take Care of You,

Tina

djm
13-12-06, 19:42
Hi Eric

Well done for having the test. There is a post here :

Sorry me again, feeling so low (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14995)

from which I quote :

"... My Dr has told me the risk is 1% and thats if the person has HIV to start with ...".

The author also went for the test and the result was negative. Might be worth reading the authors thread, for some reassurance.

Regards
Dave

Stressed Eric
14-12-06, 10:12
Thank you so much for you posts.

I am really nervous about getting the results, the worst case scenario is constantly playing on my mind. I'm just hoping if all is good I will get the reassurance I need.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Stressed Eric.

manmoor
14-01-07, 04:53
Hi Eric,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx