PDA

View Full Version : Lichen planus anybody

Humly
15-06-14, 20:35
I have been having an awful time with ulcers on my tongue lately and I'm a bit obsessed with my mouth at the moment. I made the mistake of googling lichen planus. My dentist told me I had it in a couple of places in my mouth in January but I have had no problems with it so far(my tongue problems are a different thing) but as I said I googled and now I am really worried about it as all the things I have read sound really awful and it has made me scared that I am destined to suffer from lots of pain and distress in the future. Can anybody just tell me its not as bad as I imagine as i am really upset. Thank you.

Neon
15-06-14, 21:26
I think averages are really underrated when it comes to the internets version of health. My daughters recently had chickenpox and whilst looking for care info for their very average bout with pox, of course I stumbled across the worse pictures of the worse cases of chicken pox. It gives a very false impression of an unpleasant but relatively predictable illness. But it puts those horrid images in your mind. I'm guessing the same is true for other illnesses online. People like to share worse case scenarios because it's interesting. Nobody ever talks about their mild case of tonsillitis or the time they had conjunctivitis for a day. You get to hear about the time someone died or it turned out to be cancer or gave them brain damage. And it's terrifying! I'm questioning everything now. I'm tired of being hyped up with no good reason for it. :(

Humly
15-06-14, 22:14
Thank you. Its true what you are saying. Most things are posted on forums by people who have a bad story to tell (this forum is the exception) or want to complain about something and we dont tend to hear the good or just ordinary stuff. Thats why I shouldnt google and I should know better! They say ignorance is bliss so I want to know nothing x

eevee
16-06-14, 04:01
I agree. Sometimes (most of the times) reading people's experiences on Google just drives me bonkers even more because they'd usually say stuff like, "THIS IS WHY DON'T IGNORE EVERY SIGN EVERY LUMP EVERY BUMP EVERY PATCH ETC".

Reading the stories has made me felt horrible enough, but reading that warning at the end really sends me into a spiralling downward.

Humly
16-06-14, 06:43
Yes these stoiries are all doom and gloom and i just wanted to know if anyone here had any personal experience of this to encourage me to think that its not so bad. I know this is not life threatening or anything but i am quite depressed about it.