PDA

View Full Version : What's your ultimate goal?

Neon
15-06-14, 21:09
I was just wondering what you feel your ultimate goal is in terms of your health anxiety? Am I supposed to be aiming for a point where I no longer seek outside reassurance or should I be aiming to offer myself the reassurance? or am I aiming to be completely calm about my health at all times? What does a healthy attitude even mean? I think id like to be quite blaise about my health again. I was never ignorant or arrogant but I certainly had self belief that I would be ok and didn't need a doctor to 'save' me which is what I'm like now. Would love to hear your goals.

MRS STRESS ED
15-06-14, 21:17
My goals are to be comfortable and able to live with my anxiety to take charge of my life xx

eevee
15-06-14, 21:40
There was a time in my life when I had a sizeable lump in my inner thigh and I was completely ignoring it and didn't even think twice about it.

I want to go back being like that again. Now I'm constantly worrying and afraid of being happy or feeling reassured (I used to be able to assure myself too then) because I feel like I'd get punished for that.

I just want the old me back!

I'm also tired of being afraid :( my life feels like I'm just waiting for something bad to happen. It's the worst feeling ever.

Neon
15-06-14, 21:52
Have you read the Happiness Project? There's a really interesting bit on how some people think that they can jinx the outcome of something by the way they think, like if you don't expect the worse you will be punished with a negative experience for being so arrogant etc. I did this allll the time but the author said there was no evidence to suggest the way you thought affected the general outcome. Yes it affected your perceived outcome but thought generally had no sway over events. So I tried it out. This was absolutely terrifying because I felt the moment I started thinking positively would be the moment I started to get punished... But nothing remarkable happened. Good and bad stuff still happened in relatively equal balance. They only thing that did change was I wasn't so worried all the time which was really nice and finally I could enjoy things. And I guess it helped me cope better with the bad too. There are still things I can't risk 'jinxing' but I am pushing myself to confront my superstitions and literally nothing happens. Nothing good/bad happens. It just stays the same. I just thought id share because it's something that really surprised me and lifted a huge weight.

aprilmoon
15-06-14, 22:06
I haven't got health anxiety, but I was very poorly last year,was in hospital 3times,and had a major operation, with a lengthy recovery.
I am now recovered,and enjoy my new found health with gratitude.
I embrace new things more now,I tell my family more than ever how much I love them and I count my blessings.
Life is so short,and things change on a spin.
Try to enjoy what you have in the moment, whether,its your health,or any other blessing,that is a good goal to have.
Best wishes x

eevee
15-06-14, 22:07
No, this is the first time I heard of the Happiness Project. I'm going to look it up, thanks, Neon!

It's just amazing (she said sarcastically) how things have changed. Like I used to ignore lumps, now I'm actually giving myself scabs and bruises while checking them.

Stena
15-06-14, 22:20
I remember having a lump in my breast when I was in my late 20s and not being bothered about it at all. In fact after it was removed I went to see the consultant and he said you will be glad to know the lump was not cancerous! The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. But then there was no google then nor it seemed so many media stories. Dr Google has a lot to answer for. I would give anything to be that girl again!

I am heading for my 52nd birthday soon and any twinge, tummy problems has my running online and seeking assurance from others. Yesterday I spent the day looking up the symptoms for pancreatic cancer and that is now my scare of the moment.:ohmy:

Humly
15-06-14, 22:23
I would just love to be calm about my health and not imagine the worst (usually cancer) and that applies to other areas of my life as I stress about everything and its destroying me.

Serenity1990
16-06-14, 00:01
I want to go back being like that again. Now I'm constantly worrying and afraid of being happy or feeling reassured (I used to be able to assure myself too then) because I feel like I'd get punished for that.

Absolutely this! I was terrible, only a year before this I got dark red blotches all over my chest that stayed for months, my mum and others were urging me to get checked out, I didn't even think it worth going! I googled back then and google told me one possibility was skin cancer, I just laughed and thought "those things don't happen to me".

Now that would be awful! :roflmao:

UKmamainUS
16-06-14, 02:33
I just want to be relaxed enough to hang out with my kids, and alive to watch them grow.

eevee
16-06-14, 04:03
Absolutely this! I was terrible, only a year before this I got dark red blotches all over my chest that stayed for months, my mum and others were urging me to get checked out, I didn't even think it worth going! I googled back then and google told me one possibility was skin cancer, I just laughed and thought "those things don't happen to me".

Now that would be awful! :roflmao:

Same. Now all I can think about is 'those things CAN happen to me' before I mope around in my corner and think about it 200 times a day.

GingerFish
16-06-14, 13:51
To never have a panic attack again or at least be able to stop them within 30 secs. To also stop googling my symptoms and just go to the doc instead. If I stopped googling I reckon my health anxiety would improve a lot and that would stop a lot of my general panic attacks.

HotTea
16-06-14, 14:03
To just be me again :'(

Neon
16-06-14, 17:22
I come here now every time I want to google a symptom and if I still want to know the answer in the morning I book an appointment and ask a doctor. I've reduced my googling by about 90% since finding this distraction.

And Pinterest helps too xD

NotCool
16-06-14, 23:22
I guess the ultimate goal is the mental state where I don't let random symptoms affect my life, and where they don't push me into the spiral of obsessing and experiencing a panic attack because of it.