PDA

View Full Version : Been referred for a mammogram :(

kirstynic
16-06-14, 10:39
Hi

I posted the other day about my right breast.

So sore to touch but only in a certain place. Went to gp today and was hoping she would say what was said a few years ago that it was lumpy and hormonal. But no, she could feel the area where it hurts and could feel it felt different from the left and knew where the sore place was without me telling her as could feel it. So she is sending me for a mammogram! I am 28 and in a panic, could wait up to 2 weeks for an appointment and then another 2 weeks for results. I don't know how I am going to cope with the waiting I am scared and panicking about what will be found but the wait is just going to make me crazy.

venusbluejeans
16-06-14, 11:34
The fact that they are not rushing it through, says to me that they don't think it is anything serious..... if they thought it was anything they wouldn't be saying it could be 2 weeks for the appt and then another 2for the results.

Good luck

kirstynic
16-06-14, 12:06
The card I received say fast track appointment and that I need to be seen within 2 weeks, just rang the appointment line and they will send a letter for an appointment within 2 weeks. My doctor said that I book the appointment at the time of ringing well obviously not the case. Its been 2 hours since my appointment and I am bad enough let alone how I will be for weeks.

KeeKee
16-06-14, 13:52
Hi, a friend of mine actually found a lump in her boob in her early 20's and also had to get a mammogram. Turns out it was a cyst, it did have to be drained but wasn't dangerous. I believe they are relatively common. She was about 22 at the time.

Mrschurchill
16-06-14, 14:12
Sorry to hear that Kirtsynic! Fingers are crossed for you and everything in the mammo is clear xx

Humly
16-06-14, 15:03
I went to breast clinic a few years ago and had mammogram and ultrasound and they told me on the day it was a cyst and I had it drained there and then. It might be the same for you so keep positive xx

kirstynic
16-06-14, 20:57
Oh I have let the anxiety get the better of me and booked private. Why do I do this why can't I just wait.

kirstynic
17-06-14, 11:22
Well I have got an appointment tomorrow and have been told they wont do a mammogram straight away but will ultrasound, is this normal?

Mrschurchill
17-06-14, 12:41
With your age id say yes. They normally won't do a mammo under 40 due your breast tissue being so dense, it's the same colour as what a tumour would be in a mammo so an ultrasound would be there next bet. I'd be the same as you and go private aswell. I get it through my work so take advantage when I can! I have my doctor appointment tomorrow about my breast pain so will let you know how I get on.
Positive thoughts! Xx

kirstynic
17-06-14, 16:24
Thank you.

Good luck for you x

kirstynic
18-06-14, 11:07
Ultrasound was all clear x

How did you get on Mrs Churchill? X

Mrschurchill
18-06-14, 12:41
My appointment isn't until 4:30pm. At work right now with anxiety not letting me get much work done! :(
So please ultrasound was clear! X

kirstynic
18-06-14, 19:55
How did you get on? X

Mrschurchill
18-06-14, 21:03
Had an absolute melt down about my anxiety to her. Tears and everything!
She thinks the pain I'm having is muscular as it's not technically coming from my boob, it's like between my boob and armpit. And the fact I've had it a year and no lump still is pretty unlikely it's anything sinister.
She's given me some beta blockers to control my HA and I feel better as I took my fiancé in so he could understand to!
My road to being HA free is gonna be long but I've had enough of it now and not going to let it take over my happiness! X

Beyonderz
02-07-14, 22:30
I am so glad to hear it went well for you guys. I am going to book an appointment with dr. tomorrow and see what they tell me. I try not to be very anxious but it is too hard. Since I have a similar problem as yours (it's that my sensitivity is on nipple and whole breast itself, like one breast pre-mens tension) I may have a chance to get good results.
If nothing, it's going to be my first "regular" breast check, then. One has to do it anyways.

Ruby13
02-07-14, 23:12
Thinking of you. I have had lots of cysts, mammograms and ultrasound. Ultrasound is painless. Big hugs x