PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Swallowing / Dysphagia

Sam1987
16-06-14, 16:18
Has anyone experienced swallowing difficulty?

Mine started around 3 years ago.
It made me panic and kept me up all the night the first few times.
I've been using beconase nasal spray nonstop which made it more bearable and kept the panic attacks at bay.

I've only had my throat briefly examined by an ENT and had a barium swallow in 2013 which revealed nothing.

It's been almost unbearable in 2014 and I'm so fed up with it. I'm too nervous to eat in fear of choking and sometimes when I do eat I keep coughing or feeling bits of cereal get stuck. I've started panicking again and my coping methods aren't working anymore.

Fishmanpa
16-06-14, 17:09
I have this due to oral cancer, damage from surgeries and radiation. I understand how you feel as I must have a sip of water with every bite of food. Eating in restaurants can be a bit tricky if I happen to choke and I feel somewhat self conscious eating in public.

Based on the fact that you have no medical reason for this to be happening it leaves anxiety as the cause. Treating the root should help to alleviate the symptoms.

Positive thoughts

Nervousmommy
16-06-14, 17:55
I'm having this now. It feels like I have a lump in my throat. I've had it before and it's passed. Anxiety does such strange things to us.