PDA

View Full Version : Odds on it being hodgkins ??

Gemmal
18-06-14, 01:53
I have terrible terrible anxiety over Hodgkin's lymphoma particularly because my nodes hurt when I drink alcohol I'm sure of it .

I can't feel them but I know they're there . Something's not right.

It's been two years and seven months of this hell . I've gained a stone which i suppose is a positive and of course just recently had a clean CBC

My question is in all honesty what do you think my odds are of having this disease ? My minds all over the place today because I just read in the damn daily mail about a man being misdiagnosed for years with skin cancer

Fishmanpa
18-06-14, 02:14
Really Gem.... read your post and answer that question ;)

Positive thoughts

Serenity1990
18-06-14, 02:18
Pretty much as close to zero as anyone else walking around the street. Fishmanpa posted a wonderfully gruesome image the other day of his nodes after they were removed, and also gave a first hand account of just how quickly they grew. It it's been a year and a bit and you still can't feel them you can safely chill out.

Oh and if in the past year and a bit you've had them checked out by a doctor and (s)he said they're ok, change "close to zero" to "zero". :)

Gemmal
18-06-14, 12:11
Thank you both so much ! I really needed those replies , I was at breaking point last night ! Also fishmanpa I really admire the fact you shared your photographs with us to help those with the lymph node fear ! Seeing in reality what bad nodes actually look like has eased my fear a bit !

Thankyou thank you !

Fishmanpa
18-06-14, 13:29
Also fishmanpa I really admire the fact you shared your photographs with us to help those with the lymph node fear ! Seeing in reality what bad nodes actually look like has eased my fear a bit !
Thankyou thank you !

I know those images were VERY graphic and I do apologize if it made some a bit squeamish but sometimes when I read about swollen nodes and the worries, I think "What swollen nodes?... I'll show you swollen nodes!" To give you an idea of the actual size, the two large masses were well over 5" in length and at least 4"-5" in circumference! Those were in my neck. Imagine placing a small avocado in your neck. That's what was in mine.

Anyway... off to the GP for blood test results and exam. I have an abnormal itchy mole on my back I think I'll have frozen off...Fun stuff ;)

Positive thoughts

Gemmal
18-06-14, 14:06
I couldn't agree more ! People like me definately need a wake up call ! I'm pretty sure by now people should be commenting on my abnormal neck if I had something bad going on !

Hope everything goes okay at the docs today :)

bluetopazgirl
18-06-14, 14:18
Hi Gemma,

I am also in your shoes so to speak. I have had this fear of lymphoma now for 4years. I have a swollen node under my jaw since 2010 which although is bigish (Size of a small grape) it has never got any bigger. I have had another one come up a month ago in my neck and its very small id say grain of rice small. My father died of Lukeamia which is a very similar blood cancer and I have been in fear since these nodes.

Just wanted to let you know your not alone x

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

I know those images were VERY graphic and I do apologize if it made some a bit squeamish but sometimes when I read about swollen nodes and the worries, I think "What swollen nodes?... I'll show you swollen nodes!" To give you an idea of the actual size, the two large masses were well over 5" in length and at least 4"-5" in circumference! Those were in my neck. Imagine placing a small avocado in your neck. That's what was in mine.

Anyway... off to the GP for blood test results and exam. I have an abnormal itchy mole on my back I think I'll have frozen off...Fun stuff ;)

Positive thoughts

Oh think I have missed these nodes! which thread are they under? and good luck at the doctors. My friend has had three abnormal moles frozen off recently but all came back fine.. she didn't even worry yet me.. I know id worry you know me! lol. :blush:

Fishmanpa
18-06-14, 16:47
Ohhh good night!... do you really want to see that? Ok... you asked...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=155791

Those were cancerous swollen nodes. The smaller things were biopsies taken looking for the primary site (which they never found). I had 23 additional nodes removed. A node can be up to 2cm, especially when fighting an infection or virus and cancer is an uncontrolled growth of cells. It doesn't just sit there, move around and such. So those with node issues really need to get a hold of that fact. The .000000000001% that don't behave that way are the ones you read about in the daily news. You stand more of a chance being in an auto accident than being written about I assure you! ;)

So the doc didn't see anything on my back but an irritated area. She said to put hydrocortisone cream on them for a few weeks and see if it helps. If it continues to be a bother, let her know and she'll refer me to a dermatologist.

Everything else was good. Bloods are fine. Other than the side effects from treatment, I'm Ok. On the "bummer" side, I have to go for a colonoscopy... Ugghhh.... I'm 55 and haven't had one and it's recommended. Oh Joy! ~lol~

Positive thoughts