PDA

View Full Version : Mindfulness can help with your anxiety!

HoneyLove
18-06-14, 11:16
Hey guys, I'm reading a great book called Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World. It's co-written by a researcher from Oxford University (Mark Williams) who does a great job of explaining the research and science behind why mindfulness is measurably good for our physical and mental health.

I thought I'd post an extract from the book that shows some ways that mindfulness can help us, just to show you what benefits it can have for you.

The benefits of mindfulness meditation

Numerous psychological studies have shown that regular meditators are happier and more contented than average. These are not just important results in themselves but have huge medical significance as such positive emotions are linked to a longer and healthier life.

- Anxiety, depression and irritability all decrease with regular sessions of meditation. Memory also improves, reaction times become faster and mental and physical stamina increase.

- Regular meditators enjoy better and more fulfilling relatonships.

- Studies worldwide have found that meditation reduces the key indicators of chronic stress, including hypertention.

- Meditation has also been found to be effective in reducing the impact of serious conditions, such as chronic pain and cancer, and can even help to relieve drug and alcohol dependence.

- Studies have now shown that meditation bolsters the immune system and thus helps to fight off colds, flu and other diseases.

There are several studies cited for all of the points above, but obviously I can't include them all! I just wanted to show here how something like mindfulness can benefit people suffering with anxiety.

If you're interested I'd recommend reading it, especially for those of you who like to see the research behind anxiety treatments like this. There are lots of good books published in the last few years on mindfulness, it's worth dipping into a few of them and giving it a try. Another one I'd recommend is Soul-Centered by Sarah McClean, both her book and the book I've quoted from here offer great explanations of meditation for complete beginners.

jefferina
18-06-14, 13:57
Really interesting advice... Before I had my little girl I used to meditate daily and now I have stopped... Think I will start again as it is very good just sort of forgot I hadn't done it for so long,., thanks for posting xx

HoneyLove
18-06-14, 14:24
Glad that it reminded you of a helpful practice jefferina, I hope that you find some peace with it :)