PDA

View Full Version : First Time Colonoscopy

bulan
19-06-14, 22:40
Hi Everyone,

Despite my anxiety about the risks, I asked my doctor for a colonoscopy because of roving pain throughout my upper and lower abdomen.

Both my grandfathers had colon cancer. One didn't catch it in time, but the other one beat it and this summer we're celebrating his 90th birthday.

Anyway, I'm in prep mode today... Just about to start the fun part! :blush:

One of my main worries is the risk associated with the procedure. One in 4,000 people end up with a tear that needs emergency surgery to correct. So that's on my mind...

My other main worry, of course, is what they might find. My only consolation is that I chose this, rather than doctors choosing it for me. So I'm hanging on to that to calm my nerves...

Got any advice to help steady my nerves? I'd really appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

I'm fortunate to have my husband home to help look after our 2-year-old son! I'm also fortunate to have my Mom and brother close by for reassurance.

Still, Mom's the only one of us who's had a colonoscopy, and her experience wasn't the greatest. While her results were clear, they discovered she had a longer colon than usual. By 5 feet!! My poor, sweet Mom!

Her experience was painful enough that she hasn't had another colonoscopy in years, and it took a lot of convincing to get her to make her long-overdue appointment.

I do have memories of Dad having it done, and his results were clear too. I can't talk with him about it, though, as he's got advanced dementia now.

Funny how when even one parent is gone, it makes me long to fill that gap with others who can offer reassurance/guidance. :)

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Dulcolax and CoLyte are the two substances I need to take.

I just began the CoLyte--240mL every 10 minutes until I've polished off 2 litres.

Is it normal to experience headache with strong laxatives?

aprilmoon
19-06-14, 22:42
Hi
I had this procedure done last year and it wasn't so bad.
I wasn't sedated either.
The only advice I can give ,is don't be too put off by other peoples experiences because everyone is different.
Beat wishes :)

bulan
19-06-14, 22:48
Thanks for the advice, aprilmoon!

I don't want to be sedated either... there's something about the idea of being conscious that offers a small sense of being in control, whether real or imagined. lol

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Oh, quick question: Do doctors always take biopsies during a colonoscopy? I mean, is it a standard part of the procedure? Or do they only take biopsies when they're unsure about something they see?

aprilmoon
19-06-14, 22:55
I had a nurse sit by me and hold my hand,which helped,hopefully they will do the same with you.
I don't recall that it took that long either.
Afterwards,I had a lie down for a bit,and the worst part then is that you're full of wind!
Hopefully you'll have your own room,or space :roflmao:
I think the worst part of it all was the prep!:wacko:
It will all be done soon anyway,and its definitely worth it.

nomorepanic
19-06-14, 22:56
I just had one on Monday

I had no sedation and just used entonox.

Yes they take biopsies as standard - I had 10 done and 4 polyps removed

aprilmoon
19-06-14, 22:59
As far as I know I didn't have any biopsys done.

nomorepanic
19-06-14, 23:09
Ok perhaps I should add that I have Crohn's disease so perhaps it is standard practice to take biopsies from me

bulan
19-06-14, 23:38
I read about your procedure, Nicola. Are you feeling better today?

Re: Biopsies, I'm just thinking this through for the first time, unfortunately, so I'm a bit nervous. If a person's colon appears normal, I wonder about the drawbacks of performing a biopsy on a healthy colon wall?

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Ok perhaps I should add that I have Crohn's disease so perhaps it is standard practice to take biopsies from me
Oh, that makes sense. :)

nippy70
20-06-14, 04:42
I've had this procedure twice now. First time no sedation. Second time a tiny bit. No pain what so ever just bloated from the air they push in . you are gonna be fine. I have health anxiety and after I laughed at how easy it all was x

Fishmanpa
20-06-14, 12:40
My GP referred me to get one. It'll be my first. Joy eh? I soooo looking forward to it ~lol~ Ohhh and the stuff you have to drink the day before to clean you out? Mmmmm....All I know is I'm glad the powder room is about 6 feet from my chair ;)

Positive thoughts

bulan
20-06-14, 14:48
Thanks, nippy! :)

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 ----------

You know, Fishmanpa, the prep wasn't as bad as I expected. :) I wasn't hungry or nauseated. I wasn't dashing to the washroom in fear of an accident. It all seemed calm and controlled compared to my expectations.

My only advice to others, about the prep specifically, is don't be afraid of trading regular toilet paper for wet wipes. And if your instructions say to use zinc cream or something like it to control chafing, use it! I waited too long and ended up with pain as a result.

...Now, on to the main event... It's true what they say, that there's nothing to fear but fear itself. I woke up this morning anxious about the procedure and about what they might find. But I was twice as anxious about having to put up with my own fear. Silly, right? :blush:

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Off I go... Thanks to all of you for your encouragement! :)

bulan
20-06-14, 22:21
Oy! ...So I had a gastroscopy as well as a colonoscopy. The clinic I went to seemed quite rushed, and my doctor did too. While the entire procedure passed without incident, the rushed nature of it felt like it was a bit rougher than necessary. So at the moment I feel bit bruised inside, like the doctor forgot one of his tubes in my esophagus.

The colonoscopy wasn't as bad, but I did end up asking for sedation after a while. Again, I felt like the doctor was overly rough because of his tight schedule.

Overall, I don't have any misgivings about going through the experience again, but I'd definitely recommend researching your doctor and the clinic beforehand!

Meanwhile, I was surprised to hear they found a polyp. They consider it small (5mm) and benign. But because of the polyp, they want me back in 3 years for a follow-up colonoscopy, which I'm quite happy to do. :)

nomorepanic
20-06-14, 22:25
Glad it went ok Bulan

Polyps are very common. Mine were 0.1, 0.5 and 1cm in size

bulan
21-06-14, 06:08
Thanks, Nicola. :)

bulan
05-07-18, 02:22
I'm up for a follow-up colonoscopy next week. Fun times! I'm glad to read the before and after from my first colonoscopy, because the details had faded and I've been feeling uncertain about going through this a second time.

Has anyone else had a colonoscopy lately? How did it go?

nomorepanic
05-07-18, 13:43
I had one in May - all went fine.