PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys get recurrent mouth ulcers all the time too?

GingerFish
20-06-14, 15:20
For as long as I can remember I pretty much always have at least one ulcer in my mouth. When I was younger doctors thought I had Crohn's Disease as recurrent mouth ulcers are a symptom of that and I had some bowel problems at that point too but they found nothing wrong with me and blood work was perfect.

So I've never had a reason for why I constantly get them. I know they can be passed on through families but my family are lucky if they have had 5 ulcers in their lifetime and then my partner only gets them when he has the flu or something. The dentist said my mouth and oral hygiene is fine. I usually get them near my throat, roof of mouth, inside of cheeks and my tongue. The tongue ones are the worst!

I know stress can cause them and you all know I get panic attacks but I got constant mouth ulcers from when I was young before I was stressed or anything, but I'm sure my stress and panics now don't help them. The ulcers usually last anywhere from 1-3 wks.

I've tried everything to deal with the pain and to try and get rid of them such as Bonjela and creams like that, numbing mouthwash, taking vitamins, booze to numb them, salt water etc but I've not found anything that truly works really well.

Do any of you suffer from this as well? Or have any tips I've not heard of yet on how make them heal faster or at least help with the pain? I have one on my tongue and 3 on the roof of my mouth near the back and I can barely deal with the pain and eating and even talking is agony :mad:

Humly
20-06-14, 17:12
Hi. I recently posted about ulcers on my tongue and there are some good tips on there. I get them now and again but have had an awful time recently with ulcers on the side of my tongue which kept catching on my teeth. I couldnt even swallow without my tongue hurting. I think you can get them if you are run down but some people are just prone to them. Anyway I was doing everything all at once to try and get rid of them. I had a mouthwash (Difflam) from the dentist which I used every few hours, I was dabbing corsodyl mouth wash onto them with cotton wool 3 times a day, I was swishing with a mixture of water, bicarbonate of soda and a little salt and was trying to use Iglu. I also was taking Lysine from holland and barrett which I read is good for mouth ulcers and cold sores. I dont know if this was coincidence but I started taking them on Sunday and by Tuesday they were tons better. Good luck. Hope it settles down soon x

GingerFish
30-07-14, 19:04
Got 5 atm. Sick to death of these ulcers. Feel like I never have more than a day or two without one popping up!

swanick15
30-07-14, 21:55
NHS says a cause of recurrent mouth ulcers is ironically stress and anxiet y
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Mouth-ulcer/Pages/Causes.aspx

claireypoo
30-07-14, 21:58
Also, check your toothpaste doesn't contain Sodium Laurel Sulphite (SLS). It is a foaming agent and can cause mouth ulcers in some people. The one I use, Sensodyne Pro Enamel doesn't have it in and since the change, no ulcers. You can also get herbal toothpastes from H&B. Worth a try though? :)

Ryan92
30-07-14, 22:59
Yes I always get them, don't think I can remember a time when I've never had one lol

Right now, I have a few. When I was a kid I had a habit of biting the inside of my mouth, they started to appear even more when I had to wear retainers and braces, my chances of getting ulcers felt higher :doh:

I still have the ulcers I think were caused by the irritation from my braces, retainers. I've tried stuff like bonjela and iglu, but it's not made much difference :wacko: