PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Work/Not Doing Much = Health Anxiety? My Thoughts...

inthemind85
20-06-14, 17:15
Hello!

I am relatively new to HA and all it's wonderful symptoms, it's only been about 2 months for me so far, I know some people have suffered for years, and my heart genuinely goes out to you.

I had a little revelation earlier today, and whilst it may not apply to everybody, I thought it would be worth writing up as a reminder to myself.

I have been out of work for 4 months following my first Panic Attack, prior to this experience I had no Health Anxiety, GAD, Agoraphobia of any sort. Just pure social anxiety. It seems my body just said "enough is enough" and have had your typical nervous breakdown.

I have never considered myself to be in any sudden peril. I used to think "I should exercise a bit more". Recently it's been more like "OMG, I'm going to die from a heart attack soon, or have a stroke! Help!!". Because of no routine and the Panic Attacks i've had a lengthy period indoors, isolated, with bouts of agoraphobia because I still hadn't come to terms I was suffering with Panic Attacks. I thought it was something else.

As I am still employed but on long-term sick, I have had to send regular fit/sick notes to my employer. It just hit me today. It's called a "sick" note. I figure subconsciously, as a result of my repeated GP visits, paramedic calls and worries about health, it has re-enforced the idea that something must be wrong with my health. I am not un-employed, but off on long term sick. My mind subconsciously is thinking "well, i'm not working right now, so I guess I must be ill" and then all the symptoms will appear. It really makes sense to me!

So to everybody out there who's just suddenly got Health Anxiety, or who have had it for a while, I ask, did your lifestyle change before you got these thoughts/symptoms? Did you suddenly become isolated or avoid your daily routine/job/chores etc? I am starting to understand that because my usual routine has been interrupted (working 5 days a week full-time and exercising several nights a week), it sends the message that something must be wrong for this routine to have broken; normal life isn't happening to me right now.

A bit of a rant, but this has helped me view it in a different way. Perhaps Health Anxiety and all the symptoms are a message to you that something needs to change? Something isn't happening in your life? You have maybe avoided a situation or a person or a hobby?

Would love to hear others opinions on this. :)

Mindknot
21-06-14, 21:49
Hi,
I've recently been to a doctor about a bout of anxiety that's come on and got much worse in the last couple of months, and actually one thing he said to me was that he believed that people who are not doing much are more likely to notice "symptoms" than those who have something else to occupy their mind. It was only after that, that I have sort of worked out that my anxiety symptoms probably started building during a recent quiet period at work, so yeah, I think there probably could be something in that....

Still waiting for more work to come in before I can prove that theory though.