PDA

View Full Version : Malignant melonoma new mole

kirstynic
20-06-14, 17:24
Hi

Today I was sitting relaxing when I felt a tickle on my arm. I went to brush whatever it was off my arm and noticed a mole I don't think I have seen before.

This scared me enough but when I looked closer I realised that there was a smudged look to the mole! Of course knowing the symptoms of melanoma and that moles should be symmetrical with a defined border! Well mine is not this. The mole is circle and brown and then next to the mole is like a smudge look which I irregular and a lighter brown. I measured it and the mole and the smudge is 3mm.

I rang the doctor and explained apparently it's not urgent and won't be seen till Monday. Am now convinced it's malignant melanoma skin cancer :(

Krypt0night
20-06-14, 17:33
As someone that has new moles pop up all the time, I am really worried about this as well, though it has been off my mind for some time. I probably have 100+ moles over my body at this point. There are a few not symmetrical with no defined border. I just don't know how to go to the doctor and be like "Hey, can you look at every single mole I have" >.<

kirstynic
20-06-14, 18:07
I have attached a pic hard to get a good one as in a weird place. But you can see the mole and the smudge.

Fishmanpa
20-06-14, 18:19
I have attached a pic hard to get a good one as in a weird place. But you can see the mole and the smudge.

There must be something in the air.... there's like 4-5 threads on moles at the moment!

From that pic it looks like you got some chocolate on your arm :D

Seriously though, no one can determine anything even if it were a clear image. Moles develop and pop up on our bodies until we pass from the earth. If not moles, then it's age spots or freckles.... Wadda ya gonna do?

If you're that concerned, see a dermatologist. I have enough moles to draw a connect the dot zoo on me. My doc checks them and that's that.

Positive thoughts

UKmamainUS
20-06-14, 18:34
Of course there is a spate of mole posts - I bet it always happens when the weather gets warmer and people bare more skin and notice things.

Really, try to stay calm. I've had a heck of a fortnight stressing over some really weird looking moles and non of them ended up being melanoma. Some of them had all of the ABCDE features we are told to look for. 3mm is small, so even if it is melanoma the chances are a quick excision and it'll be cured.

I am 36 and still have new moles pop up on a daily basis, to add to my existing hundreds, and I ask edit he dermatologist a bout that because I had heard that you don't get new moles after about 30. He said you can get new moles your entire life. That reassured me.

Now for your own peace of mind you should have a dr look at the mole, and it is a good job you have an appointment, but for sure, if it is melanoma, it's not going to have much impact between now and Monday - and really, most melanomas are bigger than 6mm.

kirstynic
20-06-14, 18:36
This is a better photo.

UKmamainUS
20-06-14, 18:38
That really doesn't look bad at all to me. I really think you are going to be ok.

kirstynic
20-06-14, 18:41
Thank you for your replies my husband seems to think the smudge is separate from the mole, if it is it's really close.

Melanoma has never been a worry of mine before but this week has been awful for my anxietys. Have even searched through photos see of it was there before but none of that place I seem to have photos of.

I am quite a moley person :( and know that increases chances.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

It's just the smudge bit worries me it's like the a and b of the abcd of melanoma. Not as symmetric and not a defined clear border.

KeeKee
20-06-14, 19:42
My doctor mentioned a mole I have that has grown quite alot since I first got it and he said they can grow and that is normal. Mind you, he did say if it grows anymore he will take it off :-0
He also said it is normal to get new ones. The ABCDE is like the symptoms of Bowel Cancer (for example), just because you have them doesn't mean you have the illness they are associated with.

Fishmanpa
20-06-14, 21:26
Of course there is a spate of mole posts - I bet it always happens when the weather gets warmer and people bare more skin and notice things.

I didn't think of that but it makes total sense. I attributed things like that to someone posting something that hit a nerve or a daily news story. I've always noticed that the posts (fears of cancer, heart, MS etc.) seem to come in groups.

Positive thoughts

70sgirl
21-06-14, 03:47
It doesn't look like anything to be concerned about. I've known a few people who have had skin cancer - usually the moles are big and multi-coloured, and often bleed too. They had the cancer cut out and are fine now. I have quite a few big moles with assymetrical borders, they're quite common I think.

swanick15
21-06-14, 14:06
Thank you for your replies my husband seems to think the smudge is separate from the mole, if it is it's really close.

Melanoma has never been a worry of mine before but this week has been awful for my anxietys. Have even searched through photos see of it was there before but none of that place I seem to have photos of.

I am quite a moley person :( and know that increases chances
---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

It's just the smudge bit worries me it's like the a and b of the abcd of melanoma. Not as symmetric and not a defined clear border.

I'm not sure that it is cancerous from looking at it looks fairly normal to me as every mole looks different but you need to show it to a doctor for proper diagnosis, most melanoma tend to be a bit bigger and meet more of the ABCDE criteria.

Mogwog
21-06-14, 22:14
It looks like a mole with a freckle next to it. I have loads of those.xxxxxx

kirstynic
23-06-14, 11:51
Well saw doctor today and she said if its new and different then she is referring me. Saw the form on the computer she filled out - URGENT SKIN CANCER REFERRAL

Not sure if there is just one for for all or whether to be more worried?! Saying that she also referred me for an URGENT BREAST appointment last week.

She didnt really study it but noted the smudge mark next to it.

She said there is an increase in the people going in about moles, about 1 or more a day and so the appointment may be longer then 2 weeks.

Hmmmmm now wondering if she is worried and how long this thing has been there...

swanick15
23-06-14, 13:44
That's what it said on my referral letter when the doctor referred me to a dermatologist, its the same they use for squamous cell carcinoma a completely unrelated form of skin cancer. My appointment was in less than two weeks though. The doctor I saw said that he would have referred my even if he didn't suspect anything about my mole so I was referred to Tameside Hospital on an urgent 2 week referral same as yours and the consultant looked at mine and said it was fine. Try not to worry and keep an open mind, 90%+ are benign moles your GP will have referred you to the breast clinic only because of the location of mole. Don't worry for now I've been exactly where you are.

kirstynic
23-06-14, 14:19
Thank you and glad your mole was all clear.

Mine isn't actually on my breast that was another issue unrelated.

Panicking a bit tho as my mole has definitely become raised since I noticed it Friday! Why would that happen in such a short time :( Got my appointment for 2 weeks today goodness knows how bad it will be then!

Hypo
23-06-14, 20:38
I bet they refereed you because of your anxiety.

I have TONS of moles like that. My GP said they are nothing like cancer.

I really can't see anything abnormal about it. Ok, I am not a GP but I wouldn't worry too much.

Can you post another picture?

kirstynic
23-06-14, 20:45
Hi can't get another pic it's so hard to photograph.

Doc doesn't know about my anxiety, said it was my husband who had noticed it.

Sort of looks like there is a black dot in the middle of it to!

swanick15
23-06-14, 20:47
Thank you and glad your mole was all clear.

Mine isn't actually on my breast that was another issue unrelated.

Panicking a bit tho as my mole has definitely become raised since I noticed it Friday! Why would that happen in such a short time :( Got my appointment for 2 weeks today goodness knows how bad it will be then!

I don't know whether you have taken measurements or not but that fact that you think the mole has become raised could be paranoia about having the mole or you may just not have noticed that it was raised, don't want to alarm you as normal moles can become raised, but the fact that it has happened in such a short time frame is quite suspicious, but don't dwell on it.