PDA

View Full Version : Does Depression cause Anxiety?

Carnation
20-06-14, 22:22
I never thought of myself as being a depressive. But, it has been pointed out to me that I may suffer from Depression. I must admit, I do have a right to be, its not just a bad day at work or you can't be bothered to cook a meal. I think it is how your life has become and you are just not happy with your life. Circumstances may lead to Depression?? Illness, Bereavement, Money, Bullying, Abuse and so on. I know I have been unhappy for many, many years. And, if you have had no support or release of this unhappiness, would it come out in the form of Anxiety?

CONS
20-06-14, 22:37
I think that's a fair statement, in that it could become anxiety if you have suppressed for so long.

We all have a story, some with more chapters in them than other peoples.

I found talking therapy very beneficial, lightens the load/burden when you can have impartial advice in a setting that is away from where you spend most of your time.

Inevitably it comes down to fixing your own life, with small manageable goals, then eventually you can forgive others and yourself and hope for a better quality of life than you have now.

You deserve it

ChrisScotland
21-06-14, 01:24
It works both ways - Depression causes anxiety, and anxiety causes depression.

If you've had no release from your worries(whatever they are), then it will become a burden on you, and slowly drag you down.This can lead to depression and anxiety.

Anxiety and Depression can also come from a chemical imbalance, so both can stem from many things.

It's hard to work things out, because everyone with these kinds of troubles are different.You'll know better than anyone else where it comes from, because you know what triggers your own depression and anxiety.

Rennie1989
21-06-14, 08:35
Anxiety can be caused, or be a cause of, depression. My depression was a result of constant anxiety and genetics whereas my husband gets anxious when he is depressed. For some people it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.

No support and no healthy way of releasing your emotions can build up and eventually tip somebody into depression or anxiety. I was bullied from a young child right up to my GCSE's and one day my mind had enough, then BANG panic attack!

Carnation
21-06-14, 20:45
Oh Rennie1989, that's terrible. These Bullies have a lot to answer to. I was also bullied at School, affected my education and led to truancy. I was then bullied at work. Just because I am an easy going person and a little shy maybe?
But now, I don't stand for any of that shit! If I see anyone else being picked on, I'm straight in there. They really don't know how much damage they cause to someone for the rest of their life. But, my saying is; 'What comes around, goes around.'

Rennie1989
22-06-14, 09:45
I try not to blame them too much, because they were children back then. I blame my parents and teachers for not doing anything. I don't know why people bully, there are a magnitude of reasons, but finding the answer won't undo the hurt. Keep strong, as you are :)

Humly
22-06-14, 17:01
I have always thought that I was just anxious but just lately I am realising that I am a bit depressed as well. However, with me I think its the anxiety and stress that are causing the depression. I am going through a period of health anxiety at the moment following a very stressfull year so far and I'm fed up with it and its getting me down. Oh listen to me feeling sorry for myself!

Carnation
22-06-14, 18:25
That's ok , you have a right to feel sorry for yourself occasionally. :)

Carnation
02-10-14, 20:12
I keep having these bouts of depression!!!! I woke this morning, felt terrible for no particular reason. Had the usual Anxiety problems to deal with, but no extra stress factors. I just felt like nothing!! Couldn't be bothered to speak, had to force myself out of bed, didn't particularly want to do anything at all, but stare in to space.
Unfortunately, I did have things to do today and had to go out. Forced myself to do this, was out about 4 hours and pretty much ok,, then once I was back Home. Depression again.
I'm not a person to give in easily and I fight the Anxiety everyday. So, is the depression a symptom of Anxiety or a cause of the Anxiety or just a separate issue? I know I get so exhausted with the fighting and surviving, that is gets to a point when I just can't be bothered anymore. But, another part of me wants to live life to the full, but I just can't get motivated, can't think straight and think; "what's the point?".
I'm going to bring this up with my Therapist tomorrow, so hopefully I can have some sort of reply to put on here. :shrug:

MrAndy
02-10-14, 20:55
I get depressed from being constantly agitated from anxiety,I think anxiety and depression both go hand in hand

SADnomore
03-10-14, 01:06
Bingo, Mr Andy! Imo as well, they go hand in hand. For some of us, we may "feel" one more, or feel one more often than the other. I am guessing that's why we identify one over the other as being our chief problem, and the other as stemming from that. For me, I was only able to identify my anxiety after chatting with my doctor, after it bubbled over once I had been depressed for months (again) this past winter. "Fretting" a lot and getting more and more worked up was all I could say I had felt. And despondency. I think when others fail to recognize that we need treating a little bit more kindly when we are depressed, this can provoke anxiety. And when anxiety is met with hostility, it can cause anxiety and depression to spiral out of control.

Now I'm having to do what is best for my mental health, even if it means changes that others don't want to accept, or can't understand. When I feel safer, then I can try to trust expanding my boundaries again. Very few people outside of this site are mindful of what my needs are. I sure wish we had the same kind of resources here as you all in the UK do! We pretty much have to put ourselves in danger before we get help here, and then we are very often treated like criminals! There are laws against that kind of behaviour, as I found out when I was 15. Sheesh!

Maharaja
03-10-14, 04:37
It is quite common with all person who is working for long hours.
My Suggestion is to relax yourself - Join GYM or swimming.

MyNameIsTerry
03-10-14, 05:22
There is a well proven co morbidity between depression & anxiety. It makes total sense anyway since we all get sick of putting up with how hard anxiety makes our lives and when we are constantly depressed it eats into areas that underpin anxiety such as lack of self confidence, self worth & self esteem.

The trick is to train yourself to recognise when it starts & why and then the big trick which is to head it off. You can analyse things to determine whether one is predominant so that you can target it. However, I believe its much more complicated because underneath either of them are holes in our characters, missing elements in our lives, etc. So, a possible strategy is to look for those holes & gaps and see how you can fill them to see if that causes a knock on effect.

This can work. I can draw a similiar comparison to my GAD & OCD. In CBT I only got so far with OCD and then it just wouldn't budge. I had to target the underlying GAD which started to reduce my OCD in ways that the CBT just couldn't. I achieved this through Mindfulness but I think you can do this using healthy behaviours that make your life better so you appreciate yourself & others more e.g. such as what Maharaja has mentioned.

Goldfinch
03-10-14, 14:15
Yes, I've been suffering with anxiety for a few years during and following my divorce. I still get bouts of it as I worry about paying my mortgage and raising my son on my own. Recently my ex-husband's father died and my son went to the funeral. Since then I've been struggling with anxiety and also feeling very tearful a lot of the time. I don't know if I would go so far as to call it depression, as I'm still functioning and everything is getting done, but it's a deep aching sadness at the thought of everything that's been lost and will never come again, mixed with a feeling that now there's nothing but responsibility and working to make ends meet for the rest of my life. Someone said that anxiety is a reaction to threat and depression is a reaction to loss. It might be helpful to look at your feelings in that light and see if anything can be explained in that way.

jonjones
04-10-14, 14:01
Hi,

From reading Dr Claire Weekes books what I believe to be depression is emotional fatigue.

And the cause can be anthying that makes you experience netative emotions for a sustained amount of time, therefore draining you emotionally.

And then once depressed we drain ourselves further by getting caught in negative thinking.

We get depressed about being depressed.

At least this is how I see it happening for me!

I try to see my depression as feelings of the moment and emotional fatigue. And that if I leave it then it will pass!

And I am seeing good results!

Best,

Jon