PDA

View Full Version : I never thought I'd see the day ...

jayware33
21-06-14, 12:36
Hello everyone,

I'll keep this short and to the point, for ease of reading.

I'm usually pretty good at controlling my anxiety and have a flight coming up on Monday. I have a fear of flying so went to the doctors and he given me Propranolol 10mg. I was to take 4 tablets, 3 times a day (40mg x 3). I was terrified of such a does and the thought of taking 4 of them scared me so, I taken just one tablet (10mg) this morning (around 8am).

Within 1 hour, I felt really "spaced out" and light headed, my pulse was very slow (50-60 bpm) and my hands felt really cold and sweaty. I started to panic a little at this so went a walk in attempt to increase my BP and heart rate. 5 minutes into the walk I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe properly and that my chest felt tight and wasn't able to get a full breath. Well, that was it, the panic washed over me with such force and I was on high alert. I've never experienced that before having dealt with anxiety for 10+ years. I immediately called an ambulance and started walking back to the house. There I was waiting on my couch with cold sweaty hands, dry mouth, rapid breathing and tight airway.

The ambulance arrived and done blood sugar check, ECG, checked all vitals and said I was having a panic attack!!

I've never felt that type of panic before. Maybe because of the worry over the beta blockers I'd taken and worried over slow pulse ect all lead upto the attack.

But anyway, never did I think I'd call an ambulance for panic attack.

The tablets are binned, found out the common side affect of these are panic attack, cold hands and feeling light headed.

When they left, I felt better, hands warmed up, breathing feeling like it's getting better and not worrying.

Sometimes you think you're on top of "it" ... and then BOOM! comes out of nowhere!

John

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Is anyone able to share any similar experiences?

Thanks,

John

RoseEve
21-06-14, 13:10
I've never called an ambulance but several times I came very very close. It's okay there are thousands of people that call ambulances and go to the hospital over panic attacks.

nomorepanic
21-06-14, 13:42
It does sound like a typical panic attack to me as well

Catherine S
21-06-14, 13:50
Hi John

Ive been taking propranolol for the last few years and was started off, from no meds at all, on an 80mg slow release dose, although my doctor at that time said they can prescribe up to 300mgs of it if they need to :ohmy: goodness knows how those ppl cope with it, as the 80mgs made me very uncomfortable with same symptoms as you...slow pulse, breathlessness when walking even a short distance etc, but i didn't notice the cold hands, but then i'm post menopausal so i'm always warm lol! Sounds like the side effects from the med caused you to panic which would've made you feel worse.

I was given them for a combination of raised BP and migraines but the bonus of them was that they also lessened the irregular heartbeats...ectopics and flutters ive suffered with for years, and that's why i take them now, although at a much lower dose these days and seems to be doing ok side effect wise. I now have 40mgs daily at 2x20mgs morn and eve and this seems to suit my body better. I was also diagnosed with an under active thyroid and so now have to also take levothyroxine for that too. From no meds to this in a few years..such is life, and anxiety :lac:

ISB x

jayware33
21-06-14, 14:03
Thank you for all of your replies :).

I'm feeling much better now!

John

Jen1989
21-06-14, 21:53
Hi John

I had the same sort of reaction to propranolol. It did not agree with me at all and I felt like I was forcing myself to breathe properly. I had to get an emergency app with the doctor and she agreed that they weren't right for me.

Just our body's being difficult as usual i guess lol glad your feeling better xXx

CheesinIndian
21-06-14, 22:23
Hello everyone,

I'll keep this short and to the point, for ease of reading.

I'm usually pretty good at controlling my anxiety and have a flight coming up on Monday. I have a fear of flying so went to the doctors and he given me Propranolol 10mg. I was to take 4 tablets, 3 times a day (40mg x 3). I was terrified of such a does and the thought of taking 4 of them scared me so, I taken just one tablet (10mg) this morning (around 8am).

Within 1 hour, I felt really "spaced out" and light headed, my pulse was very slow (50-60 bpm) and my hands felt really cold and sweaty. I started to panic a little at this so went a walk in attempt to increase my BP and heart rate. 5 minutes into the walk I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe properly and that my chest felt tight and wasn't able to get a full breath. Well, that was it, the panic washed over me with such force and I was on high alert. I've never experienced that before having dealt with anxiety for 10+ years. I immediately called an ambulance and started walking back to the house. There I was waiting on my couch with cold sweaty hands, dry mouth, rapid breathing and tight airway.

The ambulance arrived and done blood sugar check, ECG, checked all vitals and said I was having a panic attack!!

I've never felt that type of panic before. Maybe because of the worry over the beta blockers I'd taken and worried over slow pulse ect all lead upto the attack.

But anyway, never did I think I'd call an ambulance for panic attack.

The tablets are binned, found out the common side affect of these are panic attack, cold hands and feeling light headed.

When they left, I felt better, hands warmed up, breathing feeling like it's getting better and not worrying.

Sometimes you think you're on top of "it" ... and then BOOM! comes out of nowhere!

John

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Is anyone able to share any similar experiences?

Thanks,

John

I know what you mean! I have had benign pvcs that started about 9 months ago and I decided to go on a beta blocker cause they were annoying. Beta blocker commom side effects are lethargy and the like, its totally normal! I felt super tired for a week after starting mine, but now I dont feel any different at all. It helps is you take it at nighttime so that if you feel tired you can just go to sleep. Hang in there!

Katie_cupcakes
28-06-14, 15:40
I had a similar experience recently. I can usually recognise the start of a panic attack and find a way to control it..or if I cant control it just see it through. But the other week I had a panic attack so severe that I was convinced it was far more serious. I called NHS24 and they sent out an ambulance because I had complained of breathing difficulties. By the time the ambulance arrived I was 10x worse, my hands and face were tingling pins and needles, I was blacking out and couldnt breathe. As soon as the paramedic saw me she immedietly tried to get me to slow down my breathing coz she could tell straight away that it was a panic attack. I was fine 10 minutes later.
It was scary and horrible though, and I felt really guilty after that I wasted their time