PDA

View Full Version : Sickness on Fluoxetine

Jsp
21-06-14, 23:55
Hi everyone

A few months ago I started taking Fluoxetine. I felt fine, except by day 4 I had AWFUL sickness. I wasn't actually sick, but was on the verge for days and could hardly eat. Due to this, I stopped taking it. I've had problems with ulcers and stomach acid in the past, of which I was prescribed 20mg Omeprazole for and take every morning. I went to see my doctor about these side effects recently, and she told me to give them another go but up my dose of Omeprazole to 40mg for the first few weeks.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience on these pills? And also, if anyone has any other tips to coping with this sickness side effect?

TweetyBird2
22-06-14, 02:05
I do have to take mine with an ant-acid...and don't take it on an empty stomach or with only tea or coffee (makes it too acidic) and if I do, I am careful to eat something afterwards or else I get that reflux, acidy feeling in my esphogus.

starla
23-06-14, 12:44
I always take my medication after I have eaten.

Jsp
23-06-14, 12:47
Yeah I take it with food and drink (usually tea) but it doesn't make any difference.

I started yesterday and felt a bit sick within an hour of taking it. Today is my second day - I just took it, and I'm hoping the sickness doesn't get too much worse. Last time it was awful!

My belly keeps rumbling and I can't stop burping after taking it! Is this normal?

TweetyBird2
23-06-14, 14:37
Eat something AFTER you take the pill. It keeps the pill from bubbling up. Yes, it's a very acidy chemical. When I was splitting the capsules open, I read to wash my hands afterwards and not touch my eyes with the powder, as it is a strong irritant.
I know from reading that pure Flouride is caustic to mucus membranes.
So treat it like you'd take an aspirin and buffer it well. Try an antacid tablet. Like Tums or whatever they have over there. It coats the stomach and helps a lot. I use magnesium ones.
xx