PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

xXx~Jo~xXx
09-08-04, 15:50
Hi every one
I hate introducing myself i never know what to say!
Anyway here goes im Jo, 18 and i suffer from social phobia and depression. I have had Social phobia for about two years now but over the the last year it has been at its worst and I started not leaving the house completely because i have panic attacks around people. I made a doctors apointment about 6 months ago and he told me it was because of a bit of a trauma i went through (long story) and also it was just a typical teenage phase so i would not need any tablets or counsilling or any help at all because it is completely "Normal" which made me feel like i was attention seeking and being selfish so i went back to being housebound for another 6 months!
I decided i couldnt deal with it anymore last week as i was at my lowest of lows and was planning to do something stupid so i changed my doctors and booked an appointment for today. I went which was the most nerveracking thing i think i have done in my life, had a panic attack made my self look like an idiot [:I] and the new doctor has told me i have social phobia and depression, put me on Citalopram 40g and set me up with counseling.
Anyway sorry thats all the depressing stuff over with, i hope i dont come across as to negative! Although i have social phobia i am still cheerful and chatty with people, ironic isn't it! :D
Would love to chat with you all
Take Care Love Jo xXx

sarah
09-08-04, 18:21
Hiya Jo

Welcome to the site. I hope we can be helpful for you. Any questions dont hesitate to ask!!!

Im sorry that you have been suffering and housebound for so long but hopefully now you have seen this new doctor (who sounds way better than the old one) you will start to rebuild your confidence again.

keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

jtmlk
10-08-04, 01:18
Hi Jo,
Glad youve found a better doc, hope things get better

love john

xXx~Jo~xXx
10-08-04, 08:11
Hi Sarah and John,

Thanks for replying. I seem to be feeling alot more positive at the mo, i dont know whether its the tablets or whether its the relief of getting some support but somethings working anyway!
Thanks for making me feel welcome!:)

Take care Love Jo xXx

Ray
10-08-04, 12:05
Hi Jo

Sorry to hear about your panic attacks but its good you are feeling a litlle better now with the change in doctor and medication.

I had my forst panic attack out of the blue around 4 weeks ago and it is a scary thing, this website has helped me loads and I hope it helps you too. There are lots of people on here that really do know what your going through and will give you support and good advice.

Try to keep positive and make sure you post how your doing.

Take care

Ray

xXx~Jo~xXx
10-08-04, 13:29
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about your panic attack to, i can remember having my first one and it was definatley the worst one i have had, their horrible arn't they! I noticed on your other post that you were worried about going back into work but still went ahead with it, Well Done!! I think thats where i went wrong i started avoided doing things that i normally would do because of panic attacks and then stopped doing basically anything that involved leaving the house because they got worse. Anyway just wanted to say well done because it takes alot to face any worries or fears, keep at it. hope your doing ok.

Take care love Jo xXx

Karen
10-08-04, 13:50
Hi Jo

I too have social phobia and depression which started when I was about 13 but it wasn't recognised at the time. I think you are so brave to change your doctor and ask for help. I wish I could be as brave as you are. My problems have gone untreated for too many years and I find it has become more difficult to face up to things the longer I've tried to bury my problems.

Well done for taking positive action.

Take care,

Briary

nomorepanic
10-08-04, 19:02
Hiya Jo

Welcome to the site.

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better on the medication and I am sure you will soon start to feel much better.

Counselling will be great for you too so let us know how it goes ok?

Nicola

xXx~Jo~xXx
11-08-04, 09:42
Hi Briary and Nicola

Thank you for your replys.

Nicola, I will let you all know how the counsilling goes, im feeling so nervous about it but i know its got to be done, i hope i do go through with it.

Briary im sorry to hear how long you have suffered with this for, i really feel for you because i know how hard it is to deal with this and i understand how the longer its left the harder it gets. Are you getting any support from friends or family? I have sent you my email address if you want to chat on Msn or just email. I understand if you are not comfortable with this because i still feel nervous chatting, although it is over a computer, i always worry i am saying the wrong thing, stupid isn't it! Anyway if you need a friend to chat to just send me an email. Hope your ok.

Take care everybody love Jo x

jo-jo
11-08-04, 10:26
Hi Jo

A big welcome to the forum :D

You sound like you are making great progress - it was a tough thing for you to change your doctor but wow, looks like the results have been well worthwhile. Once you have settled on to your meds you should feel a really big difference and maybe soon you'll be able to get out and about a bit more.

Look forward to hearing how you're getting on. Don't forget, we're always here for you.

Lots of love Jo xx

xXx~Jo~xXx
11-08-04, 10:58
Hi Jo,
Thank you for your kind reply. I think things are on the up i am feeling really positive today, usually i feel nervous posting to people (see my post in symptoms) i am still a bit worried but im actually facing doing it instead of running away from it, i know its only a little thing but i feel kinda like its another step forward.

oh yeah I also want to say thank you again to everyone making me so feel welcome, i allready feel you have been a big help to me.

Hope your all well, Take care love Jo x