PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam? Does it work

JustJay
23-06-14, 17:58
I am currently experiencing between 5-10 serious panic attacks each day now and am in a constant state of anxiety. Is diazepam a successful drug in the treatment of panic in your opinions. I seriously need something as I'm feeling totally hopeless here, surrounded by people but feeling totally alone.

aprilmoon
23-06-14, 18:23
Hi
Diazapan is only a very short term answer,as its so addictive.
A better ,more long term one is to use anti depressants, as many of them have a side effect of helping the anxiety.
You need to discuss it with your doctor, or ask to be referred to a psychiatrist, as they specialize in these sort of meds.

JustJay
23-06-14, 18:57
Thanks April

aprilmoon
23-06-14, 19:36
You're welcome.
Have you tried any counselling or CBT,anything like that.
I was feeling similar to you a few months back and I know how difficult it can be,but you're certainly not on your own with them,a lot of people have them,but they can be helped a lot,with meds or other forms of treatment.
You don't have to put up with them.
There's lots of peoples on here who have had,or are experiencing similar things.
Just talking about it can help a lot.

JustJay
23-06-14, 19:41
The site has proved invaluable so far, just knowing there are fellow sufferers out there experiencing the same awful situations is a source of immense comfort. I have my first CBT session next Monday, and I'm going to see my GP this week to discuss meds, I have a six year old daughter, and I must take my life back from the vice like grip of this anxiety.
Thanks again.

aprilmoon
23-06-14, 23:19
That's ok.
My own journey has been a long one with many ups and downs,but after finally seeing a psychiatrist, and tweaking with different meds,I am now in a much better place.
I've been waiting for CBT for ages,but have been reading more about it,and have also been supported by people on here.
I want to let anyone know whos going through a bad time with depression and anxiety that they can get better.
My anxiety was severe,and at times I thought I would never get better,but I am almost there now.
I hope you find the CBT and doctors visit beneficial, what I would say,is to really spell it out to your gp exactly how you feel,as only then will you get the help you really need,and if you feel a psychiatrist could help,ask to be referred.
I was hesitant about seeing one at first,but am so glad I did,in fact,it was only when I did,I realized how little your average doctor really knows about these things.
Good luck :)

raggamuffin
24-06-14, 00:33
UK GP's tend to be pretty benzophobic. I had 1mg diazepam tablets before and they did nothing when I had a panic attack. I've not got Etizolam which is a lot stronger than diazepam but still doesn't make a dent in my anxiety.

Ed

aprilmoon
24-06-14, 07:10
Hi Ed
Nothing seemed to make a dent into my bad anxiety until I started a low dose of Olanzapine, so far,its given me my life back.
I know its even more meds,but I don't care.
I'm on a combo with mirt and ven at the moment,but will start to taper down the mirt shortly.
I'm hoping the Olanzapine will help with that,we shall see.
For now,I'm just enjoying this present state after struggling for so long.
:)

somerandom
24-06-14, 13:15
Both Diazepam and Olanzapine have helped me in the past. I always have a few 5mg diazepam tablets in and take one out with me in high stress situations just in case.

Olanzapine has been more useful previously for my cyclothymic mood disorder although it is a major tranquilizer as well. 10mg of olanzapine calmed me down quicker than anything else ever has and left me pretty indifferent each time i took it.

JustJay
24-06-14, 13:33
I forgot to mention, I do take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed, I sleep ok but it doesn't really help with the anxiety / panic attacks.

somerandom
24-06-14, 14:02
As a side effect, olanzapine might knock you clean out. I couldn't keep my eyes open about an hour after taking it and slept like a log. i think only psychiatrists can prescribe it though.

JulieJay92
24-06-14, 14:08
im 50/50 on this

when i 1st experienced attacks i had to take 6 2mg a day for 2 weeks, they worked in the sense i felt a bit calmer but was still terrified if i had to go out / going to bed etc

now i take them very very rarely and they seem to help more i think but i also believe its mind over matter

i much prefer kalms