PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone here just laugh about their panics?

Dragon1988
23-06-14, 19:29
Like...i passed the stage when it was really really bad...i could not leave the house.

Now i can just laugh about it. When i feel one coming on in a restaurant, i just think how stupid i am being and i seem to control it :)

Now my mum still not overcame her anxiety/ panics like i have, and i make her laugh about hers. So we end up sitting in a cafe crying/laughing...

:yahoo:

claireypoo
23-06-14, 20:30
I think that's fantastic. I can laugh at some of mine, I remember one PA where I was throwing up (mine get me that way) and trying not to worry my mum by laughing and saying "It's just a panic attack, don't worry!" in between heaving while she held my hair back! :)

violet33
23-06-14, 23:31
Sometimes I can laugh at the past but certainly not in the midst of the panic!

claireypoo
23-06-14, 23:59
I'd lost my fear of panic attacks then, it became just sensations (albeit unpleasant ones). Now I can't imagine laughing through one, but I'm sure I will again. x

Dragon1988
24-06-14, 10:42
I think that's fantastic. I can laugh at some of mine, I remember one PA where I was throwing up (mine get me that way) and trying not to worry my mum by laughing and saying "It's just a panic attack, don't worry!" in between heaving while she held my hair back! :)

I don't know, but isn't the feeling reassuring? Like someone holding your hand in a hard moment, which makes you realise your not alone :)

I think we should more often :D

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

I'd lost my fear of panic attacks then, it became just sensations (albeit unpleasant ones). Now I can't imagine laughing through one, but I'm sure I will again. x

i tend to ring my mum, or ring someone during one. And i walk like a maniac. :)

I think if they crack a joke i would laugh, its just my character. No matter how difficult something is for me, i probably would laugh even if it hurt. Like when i had my muscle spasm, i started laughing, which only triggered more pain...but i could not help myself :ohmy:

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Sometimes I can laugh at the past but certainly not in the midst of the panic!

awww, i think it depends how long you have had it for...

I think i am just fed up of them, passed them moments even. I am more aware about them now, and kind of control them. I can feel it coming , and quickly i distract myself, and try my best to overcome it before i let it take over :)

I hope you can laugh about yours one day :) xx

nomorepanic
24-06-14, 11:28
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

jennywren13
27-06-14, 10:03
I love that you can laugh at yours. I need to remember this is a good approach. Geert from ilovepanicattacks.com recommends this method too :)

AnxietyDJ
27-06-14, 10:26
I definitely laugh (and frown) at myself all the time for my irrational thoughts, feelings and behaviour.

While I'm thinking or feeling something negative, I know it is ridiculous and that logically the things that I think are happening, really aren't at all, but I still can't stop it from getting the better of me... Guess you just have to acknowledge how strange your brain and body can be sometimes and have a little chuckle about it afterwards :)

Ruby13
27-06-14, 11:59
I cannot laugh yet, even though I understand them. Hope I can soon.

Elle__4
27-06-14, 12:56
I can now laugh at the incident that highlighted the severity of my phobia...

I've always ignored unexpected knocks at the door and people generally go away. Therefore, i had never really had to face what would happen if they didn't.

About 6 years ago the Police knocked at my door, needing to come in to make general enquiries. I ignored the knock, not knowing at the time that it was the Police. They knocked and knocked, front and back. I could only hear this - I didn't know it was police.

My daughter and I had until then, been curled up watching a movie with the curtains drawn and I told her to not worry as the people would go away. However, i didn't realise that by now the police were becoming concerned as they had seen the outlines of myself and my daughter through the closed curtains and they had noticed dinner bubbling over on the stove as I was too scared to attend to it.

More people seemed to arrive and started banging so loudly that I freaked out and rang my partner who was working at the College next door. He came round straight away, staying on the phone to me. When he reached the house he did not have his key to get in. He said, 'Erm, Elle, there are 2 Police cars outside and 4 officers. They think there is something wrong. You have to let us in.' I was so petrified and disorientated that I refused.

The police took it in turns to come on the phone and one said, 'If you don't open this door, we will force entry.' without hesitation I said, 'If you touch the door I'll run upstairs and throw myself out of the window!'

Because I had a history of depression many years before, they threatened to section me. I went into absolute terror and began running into walls. I was trying at the same time to say to my little girl, 'Don't worry baby, It's just mummy being silly about letting people in!' But it all felt totally surreal. I just couldn't understand how I had gone from calmly enjoying a film with my child, to smashing myself into walls in panic.

To cut a long story short, my partner managed to explain to them that I have a fear of people coming into the house and the police in the end allowed me to let my partner in to calm me down.

One of the policeman then made an appointment to come back when I was expecting him and could prepare myself for a visit. He came in and sat down and apologised for scaring me. He said the police did not consider my reaction was phobic and that were only doing their job as they were concerned that someone may have been preventing me from answering the door. He suggested gently that I seek help for my fear as I couldn't go throwing myself out of windows when someone knocks at the door! He had a point.

With the help of friends, I am now a bit better with visitors. The Postman still often get ignored though and then I have to walk 3 miles to collect a parcel! Annoying.

I laugh about that incident now but God, it was NOT funny at the time.

mat1t_uk
27-06-14, 13:28
I had a panic attack while seeing my GP. We sat down together after I'd been diagnosed for a year or so & he said , 'how are you feeling these days', I said 'oh I'm a lot better thanks' & promptly had a panic attack....lol . I had to say to him 'excuse me a minute' while sat in the chair shaking & hyperventilating. I was so embarrassed I apologised profusely to him & felt a right wally. After that I looked at panic attacks in a whole new light... haha
MAt

jennywren13
27-06-14, 14:15
Mat that made me smile the way you described that :)

I guess it's good for GPs to see their patients at their "worst," though, so not a bad thing :) How typical of this insidious affliction - I'm great thanks - cue panic attack :P