PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Liver Cancer

Dorans
24-06-14, 01:21
For a few weeks I've had a pain under my right rib cage, the pain comes and goes and on Saturday night - 21st of June. I was out with some friends and for the whole time it was never sore, despite me doing a lot of walking and playing some snooker/pool.

Last Tuesday I went to the Doctor and he spoke to me about it and felt the area and said there was no swelling and he thinks I've just pulled a muscle. This calmed me down but then I Googled about pain under the rib cage and up popped, liver cancer.

I'm now freaking out and last night I had an awful nightmare about being ill and dying and I woke up sweating and I couldn't get back to sleep. Over the last few nights I've only being getting 4 to 6 hours sleep per night because of waking up and worrying.

This morning I broke down completely and made an appointment to see my Doctor tomorrow afternoon - 24th of June. But I am worried he'll just say that it's a pulled muscle. I want a blood test but I'm not sure how much they can tell from a blood test. Really what I want is a full health check. Do you think I can get one at my age? I just turned 20.

I really want to get on with my life and stop worrying, on Saturday night I had a great time and was living without worrying over my health for a few hours, I felt normal.

So does anyone think I will be able to get a health check? Also how can I remain calm in the Doctors office? I can't keep a track of what I want to say, do you think I should write down some details and just read from it?

Not sure what help I'll get from this post, feels more like a blog entry.

Catherine S
24-06-14, 02:36
When you say 'up popped liver cancer' is this the only thing Google offered for pain under ribs? Or did you ignore all the other stuff and just home in on cancer. Stay away from Google. I've lost count of the number of people who Google symptoms and scare the crap out of themselves. You haven't got liver cancer, just like you haven't got testicular cancer in your other thread. Try to believe your doctor. I have raised liver counts and my liver is bigger than it should be, but there is no disease or infection present. Your doctor had a feel around your liver and couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Try not to worry about your aches and pains too much at your age.

ISB x

70sgirl
24-06-14, 04:33
Liver cancer is extremely rare - especially at your age. Are you turning yellow, or are the whites of your eyes yellow? If there was any problem with your liver I'm sure it would be more obvious. It's probably just trapped wind or a pulled muscle. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it! :-)

Dorans
24-06-14, 23:01
Went to the Doctors today and he seemed to think I was being rather silly worrying about my liver. He asked if I drink excessive amounts of alcohol, which I said "No, I don't drink." He honestly seemed to be rather confused why I was worried about my liver and even said at the end of the appointment "Just relax, don't go worrying about your liver."

He checked my rib cage area and told me to breath in and out while he checked me and he said everything felt fine, there was no swelling in the area. I'm glad I went to put my mind at rest, hopefully I can now enjoy the World Cup without worrying about this pain!

MRS STRESS ED
24-06-14, 23:27
Hi Dorans I can honestly tell you you havent got liver cancer and im no doctor ,my brother-in-law had this and believe me you would have alot more than a pain under your ribs ,dont want to go into detail but stop worrying enjoy life xx