PDA

View Full Version : how do you get over tne fear of death

trish1955
24-06-14, 09:16
How do you get pat tni fear as we all no its somthing that will happen we ha e no choice in it
I have lived over fifty years thinking its going to happen every day which as stopped me living I just want a .ife before I die as been like this since I was 12 and now 58 any advice would be good xx

Linda01818
24-06-14, 16:24
I'm right there with you, Trish, as you've seen from my thread. How to get over it, I don't know.

Can I ask if you're on any anxiety meds? Because I'm 'this close' to going back on them. Although, like I mentioned elsewhere, the side-effects were a bitch to get through, those meds made me feel human again. It took away the anxiety. Poof, gone.

So that's why I ask if you're taking anything.

spacebunnyx
24-06-14, 21:56
Hi, I worry about this as well. But what calms me down is thinking about someone I love who has died. They went through it and so can I ( not that there's much choice in the matter!) But I find it calming.

Xxx

Linda01818
24-06-14, 23:47
Hi, I worry about this as well. But what calms me down is thinking about someone I love who has died. They went through it and so can I ( not that there's much choice in the matter!) But I find it calming.

Xxx

Interesting way of thinking. In fact I've used that thought before as well. My problem, however, isn't the fear of dying naturally at an old age (because I've read that by the time you're old and you've battled health issues, etc, that you're tired and ready to go, so it's not as scary) but rather dying young. Car accident, heart attack, coming down with some dread disease like cancer, that sort of thing. And I'm so tired of those thoughts. They drive me nuts, they consume me. And I just don't want to think about it anymore. I want to be back where I was when I used to say "well, if something like that happens, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." But the constant worry that it could happen at all is so freaking unproductive. It's needless. And I keep trying to remind myself of something I heard once - 80% of our fears are based on things that will probably never happen. But that doesn't work anymore. My brain is a monster and it's telling me how to run my life as well as my thoughts. It *IS* running my life. I never appreciated just how powerful the mind really is until this panic and anxiety took my life over.

My mom always used to say, "mind over matter." And that used to work for me, years ago. Not anymore. There have even been times where I'd think jeez, come on, just die and get it overwith so you're not afraid of it anymore. And I'm sorry, but those thoughts are just not acceptable to me.

So today I called my doctor. I asked her to call me in a script for the citalopram I was on years ago. I start them tomorrow. I can't stand 'me' anymore. And the cit (generic for celexa) took away all those fears and those worries and I was able to live life again. That stuff literally saved me. Saved me mostly from myself. I know that sounds crazy, but that's how I felt about it.

MRS STRESS ED
24-06-14, 23:56
To be honest with you the only way you can ever get over the fear is to accept it ,just try not to spend the time you have worrying about it ,you need to live cause none of us no when ,to me its just as natural as being born ,I hope you can find a place to put your fear so you can start to live xx

Fishmanpa
25-06-14, 01:15
We all fear death to some degree or another. It's natural to a degree. But allowing it to consume you is another thing all together :(

I guess for me, having faced it several times is the fact that it really doesn't matter. All the troubles and worries will be gone when it happens anyway.
I read so many fears of leaving loved ones behind etc. but will it matter once you're gone? Pffft... it's gonna happen to all of us one way or another so why worry? Enjoy life while you can. I manage by living life according to the quote in my signature. Now... what's to eat and drink? :)

Positive thoughts