PDA

View Full Version : tongue feels weird - oral fears

Humly
24-06-14, 18:24
I am following on from my last thread about mouth ulcers on my tongue. Well they have cleared up and I am mostly pain free but my tongue feels kind of rough on one side. It feels as if there is something on the side of my tongue but when I look there is nothing there. Its worse when my mouth is dry and my tongue feels altogether strange but I cant see anything obvious. I know its probably because I am totally thinking about it constantly and I'm aware of every tiny sensation in my mouth but is this unusual? I have a dreadful fear of oral cancer and I am letting my imagination run away with me. This HA sucks. I havent been this bad for many years. I am going to dentist tomorrow anyway but thought I might ask for a few opinions to try and calm myself down. Thanks x

Kirbear4
24-06-14, 19:25
Hi Humly, I've been in a similar situation since around March.

I had a really sore tongue and noticed a white patch with a tiny yellow spot underneath. Googled, panicked, saw a Dr who prescribed antibiotics as he thought it was an infection caused by biting my tongue. Antibiotics finished, tongue not as sore but decided to go back anyway as the mark was still there. dr checked alignment of my teeth and he said the patch on my tongue sits alongside my teeth so he thinks due to anxiety I'm always catching it.

Anyway, checked again last week and patch is still there and sore on and off, I also have a rough patch along the side that I can't see. I'm wondering if this could be some kind of scar tissue?

The roof of mouth has also felt dodgy for about a week but I'm telling myself that it's just hayfever!

Humly
25-06-14, 16:51
Thanks Kirbear. Just mentioned in my other thread that I've been back to dentist today and he says my tongue looks ok. The roof of my mouth also feels a bit dodgy right at the back and my ear has been a bit achey on that side too but i suppose they are all connected. I didnt mention this to the dentist as he just says see your doctor about throat issues but at least my tongue looks ok to him. Strangely I was really nervous when I was there at the dentist and my mouth was so dry my tongue was just about sticking to the roof of my mouth and I could hardly speak. Just proves that anxiety makes your mouth dry! Hopefully I can move on now and try not to think about it and I am never going to shine a torch in my mouth again coz thats what started all this off in the first place x

Kirbear4
25-06-14, 18:50
Oh good :yesyes:

I know what you mean about shining lights into your mouth, that's the only time my yellow spot is visible! It makes everything so much worse!