PDA

View Full Version : nervous about coming off citalopram

Dizzydoll
24-06-14, 18:42
I have been on 20mg citalopram for 2 yrs and my doctor eants me to start coming off it and as of tomorrow take 10mg but im really worried about withdrawl side effects??? Will I b ok or is it going to b really bad, im anxious just thinking im going to relapse :(

SammiJay
26-06-14, 11:49
Hi. You will be fine. You may have a few physical withdrawl symptoms, but nothing like the side effects of going on them. I experienced some dry mouth, some lip tingling that came on and off, brain zaps at night (sounds bad, but just some strange buzzing sensations that last a second and aren't painful) and I may have had some pms type symptoms that lasted a couple of days, tearful, cross, easily wound up. Of course it could have been pms..... ;) As for mental well being after withdrawl, I felt great and really clear headed. The only advice I would give is to take it steady and come off as slowly as possible. Speak with your gp to see what they suggest on how to gradually reduce dosage over time. You shouldn't notice too much difference dropping to 10mg. The only time I struggled was another time on cit when my gp suggested I come off cold turkey. It really wasn't pleasant. That being said, even though there were much better ways to come off, I still felt great after they were out of my system. :)

littlemrs
26-06-14, 13:30
I've been on various dosages of Citalopram for about ten years now. I've been on 20mg for the past 3-4 years but finally decided to reduce my dose and see how I cope. I've been taking 10mg for five weeks and I have had no symptoms or changes to report of. Dare I say it, I feel pretty good. Now I need to see if I'm brave enough to stop them completely :unsure: