PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a health anxiety sufferer (and then some)

Scaredyanimal
24-06-14, 22:40
Hello everybody

I'm here to stop myself consulting Dr Google regarding my latest health anxiety attack. This time it's bowel cancer, which has developed from ovarian cancer a few days (and a trip to a&e ago).

I'm 80% certain it's all in my head (rather than my bowel!) but it's the other 20% that does my head in!

I'm well used to inducing symptoms with my worry so I'm trying to ignore the pains I'm feeling and seeking reassurance in the very helpful posts on this forum.

I have other types of anxiety too but HA's my big problem.

Looking forward to sharing with you. :)

ray52
24-06-14, 22:47
Hi and :welcome: to the forum your amongst friends here and Dr Google never helps in my experience

AnxietyDJ
24-06-14, 22:58
Oh Dr Google, how I hate you so... Sorry to hear that you're suffering, but I can most definitely confirm that I have been through exactly the same things (and no doubt will in the future). I tend to worry about every little ache and pain these days and constantly worry about having a heart attack / suddenly dying, which I know is clearly ridiculous, but unfortunately feel powerless to stop it at times.

I find that just talking about it helps a lot and can give you some perspective on your thoughts and actions.

Hope the forums help - I've found them to be a huge boost in the (very) short time that I've been a member! :)

Scaredyanimal
24-06-14, 23:11
Thanks ray52 and AnxietyDJ! So good to be among people who 'get' this! Heart attacks are a fave of mine too DJ.

Am vowing to stay off Dr Google. Day one and counting...

AnxietyDJ
25-06-14, 06:23
Thanks ray52 and AnxietyDJ! So good to be among people who 'get' this! Heart attacks are a fave of mine too DJ.

Am vowing to stay off Dr Google. Day one and counting...

We can do this! Be strong my friend! :D

Presto
25-06-14, 09:30
Hi, I'm new to this forum too, dr Google does none of us any favours ay?? I've gobe from googling every pain , twinge, twitch to researching illnesses every day to not at all. Something I never thought I could do. It was like a form if self harm for me, I was only damaging myself and my mind. Although I still struggle with ha, I don't have the sheer panic attacks that Google caused. If I can stop snyone can. Good luck. :-)

sunshine0186
25-06-14, 10:23
Hi, ive been doing exactly the same for weeks now and I've convinced myself I have adrenal fatigue and that I'll have hypos if I don't eat enough, which leaves me feeling hungry all the time and in a state of worse panic! I know it's not right to do this and I think it's making it worse bit I spend a lot of time alone and I don't know what to do ��

Scaredyanimal
25-06-14, 22:23
Thanks for the encouraging story Presto, and well done you!

Sorry to hear you're struggling sunshine0186. I know exactly how you feel. It's safe and natural to feel hungry though. I hope your fear passes soon. :hugs:

Thanks AnxietyDJ. TWO DAYS AND COUNTING!

AnxietyDJ
25-06-14, 22:25
Thanks for the encouraging story Presto, and well done you!

Sorry to hear you're struggling sunshine0186. I know exactly how you feel. It's safe and natural to feel hungry though. I hope your fear passes soon. :hugs:

Thanks AnxietyDJ. TWO DAYS AND COUNTING!

Good effort... One day at a time and days soon build to weeks and then to months... :) Hope your day has been good so far :yesyes:

Jessica13
27-06-14, 20:20
Hello everybody

I'm here to stop myself consulting Dr Google regarding my latest health anxiety attack. This time it's bowel cancer, which has developed from ovarian cancer a few days (and a trip to a&e ago).

I'm 80% certain it's all in my head (rather than my bowel!) but it's the other 20% that does my head in!

I'm well used to inducing symptoms with my worry so I'm trying to ignore the pains I'm feeling and seeking reassurance in the very helpful posts on this forum.

I have other types of anxiety too but HA's my big problem.

Looking forward to sharing with you. :)

Hi there

We have so much in common. I also do this and also keep thinking I have bowel cancer even tho I have had tests and my doc says its IBS!!!!,
I also google my symptoms which In tuen makes my anxiety absolutely sky high!
Have you been to docs about health anxiety. What have they said. Be interested to hear back from you.
Kisses x

Scaredyanimal
28-06-14, 18:44
Hi Jessica. Nice to know I'm not the only one! (And I have IBS too.)

My GP is great and arranged for me to see a CBT counsellor, which has helped me so much. My health anxiety is the hardest thing to shift but I can now go weeks and months without thinking I'm seriously ill!

I've had some actual health problems recently, which has set me back a bit, but still not as bad as I have been.

Have you read The Worry Cure? It is CBT-based and amazing! It has a great chapter on health anxiety.

Hugs.