PDA

View Full Version : Drs insisting I go on Anti Depressants

milkcarton
26-06-14, 10:36
Hi all,

I have had my fair share of Health Anxiety worries over the past 4 weeks. Started off with tummy pains, then the Dr told me I had a hernia, I panicked, other Drs told me that it wasn't a hernia and it was IBS. I have been having tummy problems, which has triggered my panic attacks, and got a really bad sinus infection on holiday, which made me feel more anxious.

To cut a long story short, I have been to the Drs quite a lot of the past month over aches, pains, concerns, anxious about health etc. They are now telling me to go on Anti Depressants as I seem not to be coping. I was considering taking them again, although it just occurred to me that this is a quick fix to the problem.

As with us all here, we are convinced something really bad is underneath it all. Why are they telling me to go on Anti D's when they should be reassuring me. I can't help feeling anxious with new pains, changes in bowel movements, sinusitis etc. It's just a bad time for me.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with your Drs?

Milk x

RoseEve
26-06-14, 14:34
Doctors are trained to ease symptoms. They are going to tell you to take meds so you feel better. It might not be a bad idea. I took them briefly twice. Sometimes the reduction in symptoms helps you clear your mind and work through the anxiety.

Serenity1990
26-06-14, 14:53
I'm in a similar situation to yourself. I have a deep-seeded belief that these issues need to be addressed and fixed, and that medication just foxes (some of) the symptoms. However an article I read recently indicates that you're 60-70% more likely to get over such issues in the long run if you use SSRIs in the short run. I'm going to have a chat with my doctor next week about them, I'm still in two minds!

KeeKee
26-06-14, 15:40
I have been on ssris for almost 7 years (been off the last 7 week's). My issues are still here and I too feel like they aren't always the best option, especially if you have already tried them. Obviously only you would know what's best for you but have you tried counselling maybe? Or CBT but I found that to be unhelpful if I am honest. Good luck.