PDA

View Full Version : Read the Daily Mail - idiot!!

Cambrian49
27-06-14, 11:25
Read the daily mail today which has a headline story of a man with. MND. Clearly like a moth to a flame I clicked on it. Wish I hadn't because he spoke about cramping and twitching being a first sign ( in his neck) tho he can use his arms and not his legs. Clearly in a tizz now about bloody MND again . Why do I do this to myself - gahhh

Serenity1990
27-06-14, 11:29
Why does anyone read he Daily Mail? If their medical articles are anything like their political stuff I wouldn't assume it's even vaguely accurate. :)

Cambrian49
27-06-14, 11:35
Lol - I know. I read it for celeb gossip ( I know , I'm sad). They probably misreported the whole article . I'm an ex journo so know easily confused we get. Cross with myself for reading the article and feeding my anxiety.

mat1t_uk
27-06-14, 11:42
yes understand that one......your anxiety state is like a massive amplifier to all perceived potential life 'threats'. When I was first given meds for my condition I spent days researching online forums for side effects & addiction before I took them.....what a mistake. :doh:

Andromeda
27-06-14, 12:30
The Daily Mail is the devil. The amount of times I say to myself "I'm just reading the celeb news"

And then I find myself engrossed in and hyperventilating over some story where some young person dropped dead or a gp missed cancer etc!

It's better to stay away and not fuel the fire (wish I would take my own advice)

KeeKee
27-06-14, 12:49
I saw that article and thankfully didn't click on it! I did read one about a woman who had given birth days before etc, sad and scary.
I always go on to read the celeb goss too and get carried away!

Fishmanpa
27-06-14, 13:05
So I had to go read some of this as I never have...

I think I'll be painting my teeth to protect them and banish going to the dentist :D That sounds Fab! I'm thinking red, white and blue... wadda ya think?

Positive thoughts

Cambrian49
27-06-14, 17:13
It's daft. That whole paper is mental and the stories are never told properly. The inquest ones are the worst I agree - especially with the GPs "missing" things. I just try and reassure myself that the story us never that black and white and half of the circumstances are t reported. My elbow is killing me today tho typically so I'm back on my MND train desperately trying not to think about it but obvs thinking about it a lot. I also read the story about a woman who thought she had a wheezy chest because of hayfever ( I suffer badly) and it turned out to be lung cancer - JOY !!! I wish I could swap my brain for a new one :) xxx

swanick15
27-06-14, 18:56
imagine if you are the medical editor at the daily mail and ended up with HA because of the daft stories they publish that that would be funny.

Carnation
27-06-14, 19:27
I stupidly started to read the 'Daily Mail' this morning. I won't tell you the stories I saw, but it made me feel panicky. Don't know why I did it, I stopped reading papers ages ago. Don't watch the News either. (Just the Weather).
They always over exaggerate everything; like when we had the floods. Their famous saying, "Danger to Life". Red Alert is another one they use. They should be banned from doing this, it causes havoc and stress in peoples lives.

swanick15
27-06-14, 19:59
Have a read of this it is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2636835/Mistakes-NHS-staff-killing-12-500-year-And-operate-wrong-body-week-reveals-Hunt.html
The problems with it are;
• How do you accidently give someone a Vasectomy when you are fully conscious during the surgery?
• How many thousands of operations are carried out each week and only 2 tools are left inside the patient?
• The '12,500' who died because of apparent mistakes could have been dying already and some could have had weakened immune systems and picked up viruses or bugs.

THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT SCIENTIFIC FACT, IT IS A LOAD OF COMPLETE RUBBISH.

Fj2014
30-06-14, 17:00
I am constantly doing this - just read one about a young girl who had stomach cramps and turned out to be leukemia - arghhhh!!!
But, I'm a news reporter myself and well, it's reported because it's rare - if they reported everytime someone wasn't diagnosed with cancer/MND etc it wouldn't get them hits ... and as you all say, it's probably very sensationalised!!!

Cambrian49
30-06-14, 19:34
Same - I'm an ex reporter so that's why I keep reminding myself to think back to how it all works and also editing etc.. I'm currently on here desperately trying not to google "MND" and "sore elbow" so that I don't bring up anything stupid to freak me out and there's bound to be a blinking DM story saying " my sore elbow was actually a sign of the disease"