PDA

View Full Version : Food Tips for Anxiety

twister
09-08-04, 21:25
I read this in the Observer Food Monthly and thought people might find it useful

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Ten tips for treating anxiety naturally
1 Eat regularly

When meals are skipped, blood sugar levels can plummet. In response, the body will tend to secrete hormones which stimulate the release of sugar from the liver. One of the major hormones involved in this response is adrenaline - a substance well-known for its ability to set the heart racing and bring on feelings of anxiety. Regular meals, perhaps with healthy snacks such as fruit and nuts in between, will help keep blood sugar levels and moods on an even keel.

2 Avoid caffeine

Caffeine is a stimulant that has the potential to trigger feelings of anxiety, particularly in those prone to this emotion. Consuming less in the way of tea, coffee and caffeinated soft drinks may help to calm moods. Decaffeinated or naturally caffeine-free drinks (such as rooibos, herb and fruit teas) are generally better options for those who are prone to anxiety.

3 Eat foods rich in selenium

Studies show that low levels of selenium in the body are associated with mood problems such as anxiety and hostility. Also, research has found that selenium supplementation may improve mood and help combat anxiety. 100-200 mcg of selenium a day (found in about 2-4 brazil nuts) seems to be enough to exert a beneficial effect on the brain.

4 Supplement with B vitamins

Several B vitamins including B1, B3 and B6 appear to have the ability to reduce anxiety. Taking a B-complex supplement (which contains at least 25 mg of the major B vitamins) each day may help to promote peace and calm in stressed out nervous systems.

5 Consume plenty of magnesium

Magnesium is believed to have natural calming properties, but is also a nutrient that tends to be deficient in the UK diet. Magnesium-rich foods to load up on include green leafy vegetables and nuts, though supplementation (at a dose of about 400 mg a day) is likely to provide added benefits in terms of mood maintenance.

6 Be active

Studies suggest that regular exercise can have mood-enhancing effects. Half an hour's worth of exercise most days should help to dissipate feelings of stress or anxiety.

7 Eat tryptophan-rich foods

Tryptophan is an amino acid (building block of protein) that can be converted to mood-enhancing serotonin in the brain. Spirulina (an algae sold as a supplement) and sunflower seeds are two very rich sources of tryptophan to include in the diet.

8 Take supplements of 5-hydroxytryptophan

On its way to making serotonin, tryptophan is first converted into a chemical known as 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP). Supple menting with 5-HTP at a dose of 50 mg, two or three times a day, may help to improve mood and combat anxiety.

9 Take agnus castus for pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)

For some women, the pre-menstrual phase may signal a deterioration in mood, perhaps accompanied by physical symptoms such as breast tenderness and fluid retention. PMS, and the mood upset that is characteristic of it, often responds to treatment with the herb agnus castus. The recommended dose is 40 drops (around 4mls) of tincture (alcoholic extract) taken each morning in some water.

10 Practise deep breathing

Many people find that diaphragmatic breathing (deep breathing from the belly) has the power to calm both body and mind.

</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Laurie28
10-08-04, 17:01
Hiya Emily,

great tips!!!

More and more magazines/tv programmes/newspapers seem to be realizing that anxiety/panic etc are quite common complaints now aren't they!!

(or maybe I am just noticing them more now!!!!)

Whichever it is, it is good for us 'sufferers' to be recognised to a certain extent!!!

Love
Lucky

nomorepanic
10-08-04, 18:36
Em

I might pinch it for the website. Do you know if it is copyrighted lol

Nicola

jo-jo
12-08-04, 21:14
Great article Emma :D

You wouldn't happen to have a reference for the article would you (e.g. date and author) - I have a sneaky feeling it could come in very useful in my forthcoming health psychology masters!

Lots of love Jo xx

twister
13-08-04, 14:42
It's the fabulous Dr John Briffa who writes in the Observer. Sunday 8th August 2004.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,1275794,00.html

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

tara
13-08-04, 19:09
Thanks Emily for the tips, My doctor told me about vitamin b being very good for the nervous system and I have totally given up caffine so thats one thing i'm doing right. Thanks Em , Tara x

nomorepanic
13-08-04, 21:32
ok may pinch it and just add his name lol

Nicola

sal
13-08-04, 21:38
Hi Em

Good article.

Thanks hon.

Hope you are ok

Love Sal xxxxx

seh1980
24-08-04, 17:00
Thanks for that!!:D

carefree68
16-12-11, 09:34
Thanks for the tips. I drink a lot of tea (not coffee) maybe I need to cut that out too, when ever I feel blip coming the first thing I do is make a cup to tea and sit. So may be Ill get some herbal. Have just started to take a vitamin B complex with brewers yeast and Folic Acid is this the right one as I have never taken it before. Anxiety at an all time high at mo.

william wallace
17-12-11, 10:36
I take lots of brewers yeast, usually in the form of beer. To give me an appetite for said beer I quite often order a Lamb Vindaloo, rice and naan from my local Indian:D

annette1
02-01-12, 13:11
A very interesting article twister, just one word of caution though -

5-HTP should not be taken if you are already taking anti depressants. Always take advice when taking herbal or homeopathic medication.

haz
02-01-12, 23:18
Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting, especially the low blood sugar levels producing adrenelin, I'm terrible for skipping lunch. x

swanlinnet
12-02-12, 01:52
Since getting a 'Juicer' I have realised just how important it is to eat greens and fruit each day.

These Juicers are incredible ...I thought I was in good shape before I got one but the difference since getting this is amazing.

To anybody who has heard of Juicers', beleive me, they really do make so much difference to your health.

Vince:)