PDA

View Full Version : Understanding CRP and WCC

pau1200
27-06-14, 21:44
HI all,

Ive been suffering health anxiety for some time and ive been getting it under control but today at work i collapsed and ended up in the back of an ambulance feeling like death. I had ecg tests which were ok and a blood test. Dr ruled out heart and he thinks i may have collaapsed due to fainting. The one thing he was worried about and though about was my blood results, my WCC was 14 and CRP 45 and he thought i should have symptoms of a viral infection but i have none.

Im not after a diagnosis as i will see my gp monday as im freaking out a bit but I would like to know what high CRP and WCC actually mean and what they do.

nomorepanic
27-06-14, 21:47
All I know about CRP is that they use it to judge how managed my Crohn's is.

When I had a flare-up it was 434!!

I get it checked every 3 months

pau1200
27-06-14, 22:25
Thanks for that, that makes my value seem low. Ill speak it through with my gp but at least my mind will be at ease over the weekend. Thankyou

nomorepanic
27-06-14, 22:40
45 is still quite high though and is usually something going on in the body that you may not even know about if that makes sense.

I think the range is 0-10

pau1200
30-06-14, 11:41
Just been to the docs and she has freaked me out. According to them CRP can be upto 20 and be normal so my results are high. She looked at some blood work I had 12 months ago which was reported back as normal to say my white cell count was high 13.9 and crp was at 21 so should have been investigated then. Now my crp is higher and white cell count is up too and now she want more testing. She says its important they find out whats wrong as something has been wrong for over 12 months!!!

I've been trying to think about my health for the last 12 months and the only thing I can think of is maybe a sinus infection that they have put down to allergies.
She said worrying about will do more harm than good but she has left me freaking out. Has anyone else had high white counts for over 12 months and it be nothing serious?