PDA

View Full Version : My first possible PA last night

Amanda Panda
15-12-06, 02:00
[V]

I have been seeing a therapist for a while now and we're working on some major issues... been a bit stressed at work... but everything else seemed to be fine. I smoked a little with a friend yesterday (which I have done many times without incident, for many years) and had one heck of a scare. I was standing at the counter when I started to feel dizzy... it was like my head was moving in a backward motion when I was standing still. I tried getting some air, but it didn't help. I lay down on the couch and I could feel my heart pounding like crazy, chest was tight/burning, left arm numb... and I could actually see my chest thumping. I worked on keeping my breathing slow and not feeding into the event by thinking of bad things... but my body was shaking all over and I was really nauseous. I finally asked my friend to call 911. They did an EKG and all sorts of blood tests (including thyroid panel), and everything was normal, so the other option, aside from a heart condition, was a panic attack. I stayed home from work today, to rest. This afternoon, I started feeling a little dizzy and my stomach was a little upset... then it went away again. I think I'm feeling ok now. Does this sound like anyone else's experience, with all these combined factors? I'm just scared... I really thought I was having a heart attack and possibly dying. My heart has been giving little thumps today, but nothing like yesterday, thankfully.

Phill2
15-12-06, 02:29
By smoking I assume you mean "wacky backy" If so that's how my first PA came about
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

sandie
15-12-06, 08:44
Hi Amanda

Yes this does sound very much like a PA - particularly the palpitations and sense of discomfort around the heart. They can actually ve very painful - but as all GPs say they do NO HARM at all; they will not damage the heart or anything else - whilst painful and uncomfortable and frigthening, they are totally harmless.

Its is possible that if you have smoked cannabis it has reacted in this way. Whatever our own views on drugs of any kind, there is proof that for some cannabis is very harmful in a long term psychotic way - as well as having the potential as a gateway to other substances.

You've been checked out medically and have been given the all-clear. PAs come in all shapes and sizes - I had some very bad ones last night which woke me up at 3 am and I didn't sleep again for the rest of the night.

I suggest you look at FirstSteps on this site and read some of the posts. They will help you realise that you are most definitely not on your own and hopefully reassure you.

Take care

Sandie