PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Overcome a Driving Fear?

skeeterbug
10-08-04, 04:35
Has anyone here been terrified to drive and then overcome the fear and got their license? How did you do it? Please help!!

Elle-Kay
10-08-04, 08:44
Since I was not even into double figures, I used to say "I'm going to learn to drive as soon as I'm 17!". I was obsessed with learning to drive, and shuttling myself around whenever I wanted, wherever I wanted. Then the dreaded PAs started age 15, and carried on past age 16, into age 17 and on to age 18, and I still hadn't booked my lessons (even though my aunt had paid for my licence, and my parents were going halves with me on the lessons).

I thought I'd never learn, and I was getting really downhearted, because it was still something I really wanted (more desperately now because my PAs most often came on when it came to travelling, so I wanted the freedom to make my own way around, at my own pace).

To cut a long story short, I finally booked my first lesson, and I was absolutely terrified. When the instructor came to the door I even hid inside behind something, making him stand there knocking for ages, because I'd started having a PA and needed to calm myself down. My anxiety was set off by being driven anywhere as well, so the first few minutes as he drove us out to somewhere quiet to begin were quite bad, but as we swapped seats, and he took me through all the safety things, and starting the car, and moving off I began to relax, and (even though I had cramp from holding the wheel so tight!) I had even enjoyed it by the end.

I went and had more lessons, I did my theory test, and I ended up passing my practical test first time! I was so proud! Doubly proud - once, because I'd passed my test, and twice because I'd gone that little bit further to overcoming my anxiety.

So my advice for you - go for it! It may be hard work, you may find the first lesson(s) bad, but I can guarantee you, that once you get behind that wheel, there is SO much to take in, and SO much to remember to do, you won't have time to even think about feeling anxious.

Try it, you might even like it ;)

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

nomorepanic
10-08-04, 18:31
What is the fear of may I ask?

Driving, being away from home, accidents etc?

Nicola

skeeterbug
11-08-04, 04:09
I am not sure what the fear is. I am just so terrified. I know
that some of it is that I am so scared to hit another car. I do
not like being in control of a vehicle. I am so so scared.