PDA

View Full Version : I can't feel at home

LyingScotsman
29-06-14, 20:27
Hey folks! Me and my dad have just recently moved into a new house. I moved away from my town where I spent my childhood, and I am starting to really miss my old home.

I was just getting used to going outside to the shop without feeling any anxiety, but now it seems all that hardwork has been thrown out the window since the street in the new place is far more open, and it's next to a motorway, which is going to drive my anxiety through the roof.

Have any of you been in the same posistion, and how long did it take for you to feel at home in your new house?

lior
29-06-14, 21:21
I haven't been in the same position exactly, but it sounds like your worry about how it might be is different from the reality. Maybe this could be exactly the change you need?

You say that the motorway will drive your anxiety through the roof - but it isn't now. Maybe it will never be. Maybe you'll actually grow to like it. Maybe there are ways of finding a positive way of looking at it - maybe being in the open will help you adapt more quickly and help you let go of your anxiety.

It takes everyone some time to feel at home.

Once I was in a neighbourhood where I wouldn't feel safe alone, even in the daylight. Certain things would make me feel more safe, such as if I walked one side of the street rather than another. Maybe it's little things like that, that can help you feel more safe and at home?