PDA

View Full Version : Confused re physical symptoms / anxiety?

Needsomerelief
30-06-14, 00:01
Hi there,

I am new to the forum, it has been a great comfort to me the last two months reading people with similar issues, so thank you.

I'll try to be as concise as poss. I have had a v stressful 4 years but particularly last 6 months - partner suddenly taken seriously ill end of last year - fine now but was very frightening for 2 week period in hospital, stressful studying, then 3 months ago my grandma died suddenly, who I was very close to.

2 weeks later I was at a new job and suddenly came over feeling ill. Doc said maybe inner ear infection as was dizzy. Afterwards I realised I had a panic attack, worse feeling ever, thought I was dying.

Since then, life has been miserable, nausea, dizzy/lightheaded spells, tingling hands, tight neck muscles, various chiro and physio appts. Hysteria over my health, hysterical going for blood tests which were clear - docs saying stress/ anxiety.

I have stopped working for last month, things have calmed down, I am less hysterical abt my health but still getting dizzy - not room spinning but lightheaded / spaced out / shaky feeling / vision weird and numb fingers. Also have great fatigue.

Finding it really hard to believe/accept this is anxiety/stress as despite the tough times, I've got to the good bit in life now and things calmed down despite my obvious bereavement, my relationship good, qualification got, new job, financially secure. I think I am doing ok and then physical symptoms start again... Which makes me anxious again.. Vicious circle.

Guess would just really appreciate thoughts re, can physical symptoms really go on long after the anxiety / stressful events?
Sorry for long post, any advice / experiences really appreciated.
Thanks

---------- Post added 30-06-14 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 29-06-14 at 23:53 ----------

Oh forgot to mention the dry lips / mouth too.

Agadch
30-06-14, 00:09
Hi, Needsomerelief. Welcome to the site :) I'm sorry to hear about the unfortunate stressful events that you've been through. Personally, I have found that my physical symptoms linger after the anxiety/stressful events. I hope that makes you feel better and perhaps reassures you about how anxious you feel about your own symptoms. I hope this site helps you a lot :)

Needsomerelief
30-06-14, 00:15
Thank you for replying so quickly Agadch, it is comforting to hear you have found the physical linger on. It is very confusing (and scary) the way the physical seem to come on out of nowhere. Wish you well. :)

Catherine S
30-06-14, 00:21
Hi there, nice to meet you and to answer your question, yes anxiety symptoms can go on way after the cause is past simply because you have developed fear of the symptoms and dread another panic attack, so your body is on constant high alert. You've had a lot to deal with and the effects of that can go on...even if its longer than you've allowed for it! I think your body is still reacting to all the crappy stuff so try to accept that it will heal itself given time.

ISB x

Peronel
30-06-14, 01:09
I agree with the others, the symptoms can go on for ages because, as you rightly said, it's a vicious cycle.

I've found recently tat working on just accepting these physical symptoms can go a long toward feeling better, as opposed to trying to "combat" or "fix" them, which drains me of my energy. I remind myself of how often I have felt the symptom before and how I have been fine every time. I try to remove emotion from the symptom, which can be SO hard, but it can help.

Hang in there!

Needsomerelief
30-06-14, 21:54
Hi Peronel and ISB
Thanks so much for your replies. It's so reassuring to speak to people who understand.
I think you're right in accepting it and allowing to heal in own time. It's also a good point not to waste energy trying to fix or understand as realise I spend all my energy looking up and trying to work out what's wrong which guess fuels it all.
Thanks all x