PDA

View Full Version : Confused re physical symptoms - vicious circle

Needsomerelief
29-06-14, 23:57
Hi there,

I am new to the forum, it has been a great comfort to me the last two months reading people with similar issues, so thank you.

I'll try to be as concise as poss. I have had a v stressful 4 years but particularly last 6 months - partner suddenly taken seriously ill end of last year - fine now but was very frightening for 2 week period in hospital, stressful studying, then 3 months ago my grandma died suddenly, who I was very close to.

2 weeks later I was at a new job and suddenly came over feeling ill. Doc said maybe inner ear infection as was dizzy. Afterwards I realised I had a panic attack, worse feeling ever, thought I was dying.

Since then, life has been miserable, nausea, dizzy/lightheaded spells, tingling hands, tight neck muscles, various chiro and physio appts. Hysteria over my health, hysterical going for blood tests which were clear - docs saying stress/ anxiety.

I have stopped working for last month, things have calmed down, I am less hysterical abt my health but still getting dizzy - not room spinning but lightheaded / spaced out / shaky feeling / vision weird and numb fingers. Also have great fatigue.

Finding it really hard to believe/accept this is anxiety/stress as despite the tough times, things calmed down now and despite my obvious bereavement, my relationship good, qualification got, new job, financially secure. I think I am doing ok and then physical symptoms start again... Which makes me anxious again.. Vicious circle.

Guess would just really appreciate thoughts re, can physical symptoms really go on long after the anxiety / stressful events?
Sorry for long post, any advice / experiences really appreciated.
Thanks

JulieJay92
01-07-14, 08:50
yes it is a vicious circle :( but stay positive as everything in your life is going well now

Needsomerelief
05-07-14, 18:25
Thank you leiajulie. It's just the dizzy spells that find the most disconcerting now. Hope you are well :)

Toniandhollie
05-07-14, 19:16
I also get the zoning out/dizzy spells as-well especially after having a panic attack. I often find that, ironically,it's because I've panicked about having a panic attack and that I might have one again.

Best thing I can say too help you would be too distract yourself,keep yourself busy. When you're not working you have a lot of alone time, where you can panic about panicking. Take up an new hobbie, join a club and surround yourself with POSITIVE people. Do NOT join a support group, worst thing you can do.

Your life seems to be a little bumpy but mostly on the up hill, I wish you the best and hope this helps:)

~Hollie

Mummygems
07-07-14, 16:32
I was just going to post something similar myself when I read your post.

After suffering a couple of anxiety attacks last year and numerous different symptoms since, just when I think I am less anxious and stressed I start getting symptoms again. At the moment is wakefulness at night, light headiness, stomach cramp on lhs. I also have constant lower back pain and stiffness which I have convinced myself is something sinister but too scared to get it looked at.

So why do we still get these symptoms on and off all the time? You're not alone.

Xx

Needsomerelief
01-08-14, 22:01
Sorry for late reply. Thanks for yours.

Totally right about keeping busy.

Have been taking 10mg of citalopram for last 3 weeks. Has taken the edge off the anxiety, getting slight jittery feeling still, eyes are sensitive but feel like getting there be it slowly.

Hope others are feeling a little better than the last posts xx

em79prez
01-08-14, 22:36
I feel same way.... had symptoms now for 3 weeks and i cant get head around them being anxiety/stress... in last week ive got weird sensation in front of my neck feels like my muscles are sore and tight but then im worried its something bad. I had health scare around my neck about 6 wjs ago this is what started my ha... never had it before.
Had sore left arm and collarbones for 3 wks docs telling me its stress from the scare. Now it did all start after the scare so i guess makes sense but hard to believe anxiety pains can go on this long.
So worried everyday its taking over my life

Needsomerelief
02-08-14, 22:00
Hi Em79prez

After my initial dizzy and panic attack symptoms the next main one was my neck, it felt like a constant tight band around it. I saw physio, osteos, chiro, reflexologist, bowen therapist, you name it! I was worried like you but since learnt stress does go to the neck and particularly if you had a scare it will just amplify this for you. Try not to worry and see chiro for some exercises and hot baths / cold ice packs will help. Good luck.