PDA

View Full Version : I'm a heavy drinker and despite having a LFT and KFT I cant stop worrying!!!

cjemc
01-07-14, 14:26
My GP tells me my Liver Function Test and Kidney Function Test were both within normal ranges and were perfectly normal. But due to my persistent retching which is only stopped by alcohol consumption I worry that there may be a link???
In other words how accurate are LFT and KFT??? If I had done damage to my self then surely they would have come back with some sort of elevated level???
I may be wrong but I recall reading an article years ago which said that you can still have done bad damage to these organs but this may not nessecarily show up in a routine blood test? True or false???

Thanks guys X

AnxietyDJ
01-07-14, 15:11
I'm no expert, but surely if you can't trust the tests, then what can you trust?! Perhaps go back to your GP and voice your concerns, but I'm sure its fine, if that is what you are being told.

The liver is a pretty amazing organ and can regenerate even if you give it a really good pounding for an extended period; although, that said, as we all know, drinking heavily is never a good thing (although you didn't specify what you consider 'heavily' to be?), especially if you also suffer from anxiety, depression etc. and in the long run, it is going to do you some damage in one way or another.

Let us know how you're getting on :)

nomorepanic
01-07-14, 15:22
Did they do the GGT liver test though?

cjemc
01-07-14, 15:35
Did they do the GGT liver test though?

Hi is that the Gamma test thingy??? If so no they didn't I only had the basic Liver Function Test but the levels were perfectly "healthy" so I am told. I also had a Full Blood Count and was told that you couldn't ask for a better result and that is was impeccably healthy and ruled out any anaemic condition!

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I'm no expert, but surely if you can't trust the tests, then what can you trust?! Perhaps go back to your GP and voice your concerns, but I'm sure its fine, if that is what you are being told.

The liver is a pretty amazing organ and can regenerate even if you give it a really good pounding for an extended period; although, that said, as we all know, drinking heavily is never a good thing (although you didn't specify what you consider 'heavily' to be?), especially if you also suffer from anxiety, depression etc. and in the long run, it is going to do you some damage in one way or another.

Let us know how you're getting on :)

Well in the past 18 months I have only had 4 alcohol free nights and I drink 4.0% lagers and it can range from 2 on a good evening to 5 on a bad night so this can be anything from 4 Units per night to 10 Units per night and I haven't had an alcohol free year since 2003.

I did mention this to my GP and Consultant with regards to the retching and dry heaving but they said a liver or kidney problem was very unlikely due to my healthy blood tests and the lack of any symptoms like abdominal pain/bloating, etc.

nomorepanic
01-07-14, 15:35
Yes the Gamma one - it is a good indicator of the liver in terms of alcohol use (generally)

cjemc
01-07-14, 15:40
Yes the Gamma one - it is a good indicator of the liver in terms of alcohol use (generally)

Thank you :) I may request one.