PDA

View Full Version : Been to docs freaking out about new freckle..

Rebecca10
01-07-14, 15:02
I just went to the doctors today in tears worried about a tiny looking 'freckle' on my right index finger - she examined it and didn't really know what it was - said it was unusual.. it's perfectly round and all one colour like a darker brown freckle and it's also very small - she said to come back in a week but then asked if I wanted an emergency referal to the dematologist.. So I said yes. I left in tears just because I don't feel in any way reassured and now I feel I won't be able to function properly until I get it looked at again.

I'm due back in work on Sunday as I'm currently on summer leave and back at my parents in my home town and I just can't face the idea of getting on a train for almost 5 hours on Saturday with this hanging over me. The doc gave me some medication and said she would refer me for counselling. I just wanted to feel reassured today and instead I feel even more panic and dread.

Deepthinker
01-07-14, 16:28
:hugs:Rebecca, I am sure that nothing is seriously wrong. It is probably just a mole. Try not to panic while you wait to see the dermatologist. I know that is easier said than done, though, as I am a worrier myself. :-)

swanick15
01-07-14, 20:07
I just went to the doctors today in tears worried about a tiny looking 'freckle' on my right index finger - she examined it and didn't really know what it was - said it was unusual.. it's perfectly round and all one colour like a darker brown freckle and it's also very small - she said to come back in a week but then asked if I wanted an emergency referal to the dematologist.. So I said yes. I left in tears just because I don't feel in any way reassured and now I feel I won't be able to function properly until I get it looked at again.

I'm due back in work on Sunday as I'm currently on summer leave and back at my parents in my home town and I just can't face the idea of getting on a train for almost 5 hours on Saturday with this hanging over me. The doc gave me some medication and said she would refer me for counselling. I just wanted to feel reassured today and instead I feel even more panic and dread.

Same thing happened when I went to the doctors about one of my moles. He asked me what I thought it was and of course in HA mode said i thought it was a melanoma so he typed melanoma into google images and started comparing them to mine! I went to the dermatologist on the urgent referral and was told it was fine in the end.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Rebecca10
01-07-14, 20:51
Thanks for your replies - I'm just scared because part of me thought she would just dismiss it as a new freckle or even a scratch - she said it could just be a new freckle developing - but on the other hand if it's not then at least it's been caught early (which set me off again) I've stupidly googled images of skin cancer and tbh mine doesn't really fit any of the ones I've seen so far, it's just a tiny round brown dot which has been there for around 6 days and so far hasn't changed size or colour but I'm freaking out and all I can think of is doom and gloom plus I don't know how different skin cancer freckles/moles can look? all I know is that right now it doesn't fit the ABCD(E?) factor that I keep seeing on websites.
I can't even face going back to work - I broke down infront of my parents today - I've told them I'm not that happy living so far away anyway as I don't really know anyone where my work is based and I can't see myself living there for the rest of my life. I'm seriously considering giving up the job and getting one in the city near home. I wish I could just be like the rest of my family and friends and not panic over everything!

swanick15
01-07-14, 22:10
Thanks for your replies - I'm just scared because part of me thought she would just dismiss it as a new freckle or even a scratch - she said it could just be a new freckle developing - but on the other hand if it's not then at least it's been caught early (which set me off again) I've stupidly googled images of skin cancer and tbh mine doesn't really fit any of the ones I've seen so far, it's just a tiny round brown dot which has been there for around 6 days and so far hasn't changed size or colour but I'm freaking out and all I can think of is doom and gloom plus I don't know how different skin cancer freckles/moles can look? all I know is that right now it doesn't fit the ABCD(E?) factor that I keep seeing on websites.
I can't even face going back to work - I broke down infront of my parents today - I've told them I'm not that happy living so far away anyway as I don't really know anyone where my work is based and I can't see myself living there for the rest of my life. I'm seriously considering giving up the job and getting one in the city near home. I wish I could just be like the rest of my family and friends and not panic over everything!

I feel exactly the same way I'm 17 but I don't plan on moving out for a while yet because my mum is the only person who can talk sense into me when I feel panicked