PDA

View Full Version : Tooth abscess... Brain abscess?

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 14:13
Hi All,

I have received treatment on my tooth abscess (taken antibiotics but became allergic to them, so have now stopped taking them).
I saw my dentist today who said that the infection seems to be calming down, and gave me a prescription for more antibiotics in case it gets worse

I am on holiday next week and am now scared about developing a brain abscess

I have been to A&E and Out of Hours doctors many times in the last few days, regarding different things.

I have a constant headache on the left side of my head, going into the back of my head (sharp throbbing pains).

The dentist told me that in 20 years of him doing dentistry he has never heard of anyone developing a brain abscess, although I am scared and freaking out.

I saw my GP this morning who was more concerned about my anxiety than my symptoms.

Please can someone provide some reassurance? I do not have a fever, but I am constantly tired, have been having chills and feeling generally unwell.

nomorepanic
02-07-14, 14:14
You can't get a brain abscess like that.

What did the doc say about the anxiety?

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 14:16
Hi,
Are you 100% sure as it says about it on the nhs website.
I know I shouldn't google but I get really scared about everything.

She wants me to see her in 2 weeks time, looks like she will give me some drugs for it.

Serenity1990
02-07-14, 14:42
You don't have a brain abscess. Now go and enjoy your holiday, they're bloody expensive!

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 14:47
Haha, still waiting for the abscess to go down first, not sure whether to go or not.
Really scared of everything lately.
I'm going to go and have a sleep to see if it gets rid of my headache.

Surely even the 3 days of antibiotics would have stopped it spreading? Really scared.
When I went to the doctors, I mentioned about many things, including sepsis and brain abscess.

Wish I could just enjoy my life and remove all of these bad thoughts.

Brunette
02-07-14, 14:55
You can have an abscess which eats through the bone and drains up into the brain causing sepsis but it's extremely rare - not least since it would have to go untreated for a very long time for that to happen.

I doubt many people in the western world have actually had this happen since antibiotics were invented to be honest with you.

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 15:11
Hi Brunette,

The only thing that concerns me about that is the fact that I got an alllergic reaction to the antibiotics, therefore I had to stop taking them after 4 doses.

Would this still prevent it from happening?

I will not have any further treatment (root canal) done until after my holiday (1 and a half weeks time).

What do you think the chances are?

This is very concerning, since I have in the past 2 hours developed what feels like the worst headache every. It is throbbing and quite severe on the left side of my head, towards the back and bottom.

Where would the pain be with a brain abscess? :(

Serenity1990
02-07-14, 15:50

How have a good holiday, sounds like you need it!

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 15:51
Serenity,
I do need it but i'm afraid of this lol.

I have my talking therapy for the first time later, hopefully that will help me out also.

Do you personally think I should be concerned about a brain abscess?

Serenity1990
02-07-14, 16:02
Serenity,
I do need it but i'm afraid of this lol.

I have my talking therapy for the first time later, hopefully that will help me out also.

Do you personally think I should be concerned about a brain abscess?

God no!

I can understand anxiety about stuff we've actually got the symptoms of. I think worrying about developing x, y or z is the height if irrationality. Especially the incredibly rare stuff like this. We all 'might' develop every condition in existence at any point, in fact it's certain that one day we'll develop something that kills us. That's just something we all have to live with as mortal beings.

Given this, we might as well enjoy life while we're here and stop worrying about crap we have no control over. If worrying won't help the situation, why bother engaging in it?

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 16:04
In a way, I guess I do have control over this as I am not taking the antibiotics.

The dentist said it should clear up on its own, should I believe him? It feels like the swelling has started getting closer to my eye and my headache is still present.

Brunette
02-07-14, 16:19
Hi Brunette,

The only thing that concerns me about that is the fact that I got an alllergic reaction to the antibiotics, therefore I had to stop taking them after 4 doses.

Would this still prevent it from happening?

I will not have any further treatment (root canal) done until after my holiday (1 and a half weeks time).

This is very concerning, since I have in the past 2 hours developed what feels like the worst headache every. It is throbbing and quite severe on the left side of my head, towards the back and bottom.

Where would the pain be with a brain abscess? :(

You would be very ill and be running a high fever but the chances of it happening are extremely low.

I've seen a jawbone with a hole made by an abscess - it was from a person that died in the 1800s! And the hole was in the bottom jaw and went downwards, so although it must have been fiendishly painful it wasn't the thing that killed them.

Serenity1990
02-07-14, 16:25
Of course you should trust him! He's the expert with the years of training and experience!

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 16:35
I now feel like it has spread throughout my body and into my throat.
I don't know whether I am imagining this or what.
I'm so scared since I'm not on antibiotics

Scared of death..

Brunette
02-07-14, 16:39
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are imagining it.

Can you find something to do that will take your mind off it?

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 16:40
Now I feel like my throat is swelling up.
Why am I so scared of everything?

I just want to make it to my holiday and have a good time away from it all.

Fishmanpa
02-07-14, 16:41
Do they know you stopped talking them? Have you asked for something else?

Best to contact your doctor. Wouldn't that be better than worrying about it?

Positive thoughts

RyanM1994
02-07-14, 16:42
Sorry brunette, my laptop messed up and I didn't see the reply.
Do you think it's worth going back to my dentist tomorrow and try to brave a root canal?

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

I was at a&e at 4am in the morning because of an allergic reaction to the ones I was given.
I have now been given a different kind, but scared that I'm going to be allergic to these too :(.

I have contacted my doctor today already, just spoke to me about my anxiety and didn't take my symptoms seriously.

Cags48
02-07-14, 17:36
I would be more terrified of the dentist :ohmy: